• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bargain Deals Forum - this bothers me

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
to avoid further confusion, we have changed the posted rules.

if you are asking for money for your timeshare in and above the closing costs...please post the ad in the marketplace.

Of course this won't really fix the problem that the OP started the thread for in the first place. Though I do like the new guidelines.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

if you are asking for money for your timeshare in and above the closing costs...please post the ad in the marketplace.

I completely support your efforts for anyone to find a new home for timeshares that they have enjoyed for years or decades, and I hope that a few bad apples do not ruin it for everyone.

The new rules state,

What this forum will serve as, is a place for members to post "smoking deals" on anything from Timeshares, to taco toppings. I dont care what it is, as long as it is a "smoking deal" it can go here.

The intent of this forum is for folks to have a place to list a timeshare they are trying to GIVE AWAY or otherwise dispose of, completely free of charge. no TUG membership is required, no fees to be paid...just list your timeshare here to be given away to a willing owner!

Any post here is subject to removal if it is not considered to be a smoking deal, and a full refund of the amount paid to post the ad will be given immediately.

This forum will of course be subject to abuse, however I hope that it will be kept to a minimum to allow this forum to continue. If not, Ill shut it off and consider it a lesson learned!

Please use your best judgement when posting "smoking deals" and ENSURE YOU WORD THE TITLE ACCORDINGLY.

[... examples of smoking deals]

"buy my timeshare" is not"

Where I see this is headed, though, is near where it is now, "Buy my timeshare for closing costs (aka "Free").

Does this equate with a "smoking deal" such as the examples of obvious smoking deals cited in the new rules? Do any of the recent ""Buy my timeshare for closing costs" listings meet the new standard?

I would humbly suggest a new hierarchy.

1) Marketplace - as it is now - place an ad for $1 or some dream price of thousand$. Buyer Beware and good luck to the buyers.

2) Dollar Store - any timeshare for a dollar. Buyer decides how to advertise closing, transfer and any other associated costs. Seller negotiates these costs. Buyer Beware and good luck to the buyers.

3) Bargain Deals -- like "Quality" it is difficult to define, but everyone knows it when they see it. List for any price. Members are invited to kibitz, positive or negative, on its status as a Bargain. (Who knows what might be listed? A winter 3 or 4 bedroom Grand Lodge Peak 8 Platinum ski week for $25,000 might be a bargain). If it is a timeshare and the consensus is that it is not a Bargain, then it is moderated off to be relisted by the originator in the Dollar Store or Marketplace. Good luck to originator if it is not considered a "Bargain Deal" by TUG members.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not making a 3rd place to post ads.

if you arent giving it away, post it in the marketplace.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Brian! That is an easy guideline to understand.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I completely support your efforts for anyone to find a new home for timeshares that they have enjoyed for years or decades, and I hope that a few bad apples do not ruin it for everyone.

The new rules state,

Where I see this is headed, though, is near where it is now, "Buy my timeshare for closing costs (aka "Free").

Does this equate with a "smoking deal" such as the examples of obvious smoking deals cited in the new rules? Do any of the recent ""Buy my timeshare for closing costs" listings meet the new standard?

I would humbly suggest a new hierarchy.

1) Marketplace - as it is now - place an ad for $1 or some dream price of thousand$. Buyer Beware and good luck to the buyers.

2) Dollar Store - any timeshare for a dollar. Buyer decides how to advertise closing, transfer and any other associated costs. Seller negotiates these costs. Buyer Beware and good luck to the buyers.

3) Bargain Deals -- like "Quality" it is difficult to define, but everyone knows it when they see it. List for any price. Members are invited to kibitz, positive or negative, on its status as a Bargain. (Who knows what might be listed? A winter 3 or 4 bedroom Grand Lodge Peak 8 Platinum ski week for $25,000 might be a bargain). If it is a timeshare and the consensus is that it is not a Bargain, then it is moderated off to be relisted by the originator in the Dollar Store or Marketplace. Good luck to originator if it is not considered a "Bargain Deal" by TUG members.

The problem is that there is no way to determine what goes in number 1 vs. 3. The Bargain Deals section would just turn in to a place to list your timeshare for free. Number 1 is a place to list your timeshare for sale at any price. I see no need for #3. I like the idea of using the Bargain Deals forum to list free timeshares. Perhaps the forum should be named as such? I think though that it was also intended for people to list other bargains not related to timeshare, though I don't think anyone ever uses it for such.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Most here know that something listed for zero isn't necessarily a "bargain deal". While it meets the criteria for listing, it still may be a terrible deal if "zero" means taking on a significant liability. If the post doesn't represent full disclosure, I appreciate the group chiming in. Sharing pros and cons can be done in a respectful way to the original poster. If people go too far, then moderators can do their job. Thanks for the forum!

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The original rules in post #1 were simply edited. There is nothing that says "new."

Seems logical to me that the 'Bargain Deals Forum Rules' Sticky should be amended. I still don't know where to find the original 'rules' that someone copied & pasted in this thread--but seems they should go in the Sticky area.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Seems logical to me that the 'Bargain Deals Forum Rules' Sticky should be amended. I still don't know where to find the original 'rules' that someone copied & pasted in this thread--but seems they should go in the Sticky area.

The Bargain Deals Forum Rules have been amended by Brian Rogers.

You will find them at the top of the Bargain Deals Forum - as a sticky.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The original rules in post #1 were simply edited. There is nothing that says "new."

It seems that the update to the sticky in the Bargain Deals forum wasn't very clear. Not trying to be critical, because I agree with the change, but perhaps taking more than 10 seconds to update the sticky and do it the right way could have eliminated this confusion. Nothing like making a confusing situating still confusing.

Simply adding to the sticky what Brian had already said in post #167 along with the date would have made it clear, rather than clear as mud[ "Updated 4/13/2016: If you are asking for money for your timeshare in and above the closing costs...please post the ad in the marketplace."

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is good to see that some humor was preserved in the revised rules. (the part of about a full refund of a free ad).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I revised the summary at the top of the Bargain Deals Rules thread. It now encompasses the changes we have made over the years in one short summary.

Summary added April 15, 2016:

-All timeshares offered in this forum should be offered for free.

-You may ask the new owner to pay for the transfer fees.

-If you want to "sell" your timeshare, please use the TUG Marketplace, instead.

-Please do not post "want Ads" in the Bargain Deals Forum. This forum is for those wanting to give things away. Want Ads can be posted in the TUG Marketplace.

- Please don't post rentals in the Bargain Deals Forum - we already have other areas for rentals:

-TUG Timeshare Marketplace (any date - any price.)
-Last Minute Rentals ($100 per night or less - 45 days or less.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I revised the summary at the top of the Bargain Deals Rules thread. It now encompasses the changes we have made over the years in one short summary.

suggestion

Those with TS OCD should contact the Moderator

or not

Have a great weekend

I have compulsively been reading this thread
even though I have never used bargain deals ( yet )

Entertaining - and actually quite useful for finding new homes for unneeded TS 's

& thank you Denise

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for clearly editing the rules. When I first wrote about editing the forum rules, it was because I didn't notice any changes from previous rules. Guess they were subtle...at any rate, the most recent changes are clear. And thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thank you, my recent post was because when I read the rules I somehow did not see anything new, not just announcing something new but did not see the new rules at all.

It is now perfectly clear and I'm glad it says "all timeshares" so we can still post other items.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I saw a recent listing for a free timeshare, all the buyer had to pay was $499 closing costs :eek:. It almost looked like the EBay listings from a broker or PCC requiring the buyer to use an in house closing company. Didn't seem in the spirit of the forum...

MSchleicher

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a recent listing for a free timeshare, all the buyer had to pay was $499 closing costs :eek:. It almost looked like the EBay listings from a broker or PCC requiring the buyer to use an in house closing company. Didn't seem in the spirit of the forum...

Couldn't that decision be at the discretion of a potential buyer? Maybe they could encourage the use of a different closing company. Another thought may be that they could be including the resort's transfer fee.

In my opinion, any resort that is being given away for free, deserves the right to be in the Bargain Deal's Forum. Although the deal may not be a bargain for everyone (due to high MF, region, low demand, or other usage restrictions/limitations) the seller shouldn't have to pay even more money to place an ad to give away something they are already taking a loss for.

Now, if there is an adamant seller that isn't open to using a closing company other than their own and they are padding the closing costs with random fees, that is another issue. There are some sellers that may feel most comfortable using a closing company that they have used before and developed a relationship with despite the fact that they may charge more than your standard $150 closing from LTT.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I think that if a potential "buyer" isn't willing to pay the closing cost this probable reseller is asking for, then they should move on to another ad.

If we make another new rule that the total cost to a buyer in the Bargain Deals Forum is X dollars, then there will be even less ads posted. It could get to the point that nothing but real junk ends up here and that won't benefit any of us.

I really liked the old way where if the membership complained that a listing is not a real bargain it could be deleted. Setting an arbitrary maximum, that will stay at that amount forever, is going to make this forum less and less useful.

I know that ads over the max amount can be listed in the classifieds but it's not as easy to use as the forums and not as easy to post.