• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best current HGVC deals at rentable properties?

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need 8200 more points to get to elite plus, which has some benefits that I want (for the right price/deal).

To get there I will need to purchase from HGVC so I am interested in knowing what others are seeing in terms of current HGVC offers at "rentable" properties -- defined by me as units that are reliably rentable for at least 1.5x MFs (I think that is pretty much everywhere except Orlando and Las Vegas, in which I have zero interest). My target for MFs is generally no higher than .15 per point, though for a real bargain on price I would go higher. $6 per point is the max I am willing to pay but would be nice to find something closer to $5.

Any info re current offers you have seen from HGVC would be appreciated, including incentives if applicable.

I know buying from HGVC is going to be far more $$ than buying resale (4 out of my 6 units were purchased resale) but the elite plus benefits for conversion of current year points, ability to confirm specific rooms in advance, and availability of non-HGVC properties internationally is attractive -- if I can find a property I actually want to own.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Have you looked at purchasing one (or more) of the SW Florida properties? I would think that if you got a fixed week 51 or 52, that would meet your requirement on renting (you would have to research that). Most, if not all, of the SW Florida properties have in-house sales offices and they handle resales for that property -- but since they are considered HGVC sales, the purchases count toward Elite levels (this is how I obtained Elite). And although weeks 51 and 52 sell for the most, you can find some for less than $2/point if you are patient -- way less than the $5-6 in your budget. I own a week 51 and 52 on Marco Island (two different properties), and my average price/point for those two weeks was less than $1.50. YMMV

The tricky part is that there is no centralized place to see what is available; you need to contact each sales office to see what they have. But if you are intent on obtaining Elite Plus, it might be an option worth pursuing.

Kurt

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very confused by this.

You already own 15800 Developer purchased points with two units, and have an unknown number of points from 4 others. (I am assuming you have spent ~80-100k on the developer units + probably another ~20k on resales). I would think at this point you would know what was rentable and what wasn't given that you have spent $100-120k on HGVC properties.

Even at $4/point your 8200 points cost you over $30k. Even if you rent it and earn $500/year your 30k earning 2.4% with a 10 year treasury is still more profitable for less work ($720/year interest vs $500/year rental). Bump it up to $5 or $6 a point and the math becomes even worse.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I need 8200 more points to get to elite plus, which has some benefits that I want (for the right price/deal).

To get there I will need to purchase from HGVC so I am interested in knowing what others are seeing in terms of current HGVC offers at "rentable" properties -- defined by me as units that are reliably rentable for at least 1.5x MFs (I think that is pretty much everywhere except Orlando and Las Vegas, in which I have zero interest). My target for MFs is generally no higher than .15 per point, though for a real bargain on price I would go higher. $6 per point is the max I am willing to pay but would be nice to find something closer to $5.

Any info re current offers you have seen from HGVC would be appreciated, including incentives if applicable.

I know buying from HGVC is going to be far more $$ than buying resale (4 out of my 6 units were purchased resale) but the elite plus benefits for conversion of current year points, ability to confirm specific rooms in advance, and availability of non-HGVC properties internationally is attractive -- if I can find a property I actually want to own.

I think I understand what you are trying to do and I have thought about doing it also with the Miami South Beach Weeks that I own. The maintenance in South Beach is high, almost $1000 for a 1 BR Platinum 4800 points. To get your 8200 points you would need two weeks. However, hotel rooms in the winter in South Beach starting with Christmas Week go for over $300/night for a small hotel room. A 1 BR unit with a kitchen that sleep 4 can be rented for $2000/week or more. There is a sales office at the South Beach resort that is an HGVC authorized reseller.

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at purchasing one (or more) of the SW Florida properties? I would think that if you got a fixed week 51 or 52, that would meet your requirement on renting (you would have to research that). Most, if not all, of the SW Florida properties have in-house sales offices and they handle resales for that property -- but since they are considered HGVC sales, the purchases count toward Elite levels (this is how I obtained Elite). And although weeks 51 and 52 sell for the most, you can find some for less than $2/point if you are patient -- way less than the $5-6 in your budget. I own a week 51 and 52 on Marco Island (two different properties), and my average price/point for those two weeks was less than $1.50.

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually was able to find a week 52 and week 1 unit (two weeks) for a total of less $2.75 per point, and will count to my Elite Plus since purchased through HGVC resales... I did not realize you could get elite credit from purchasing resale through HGVC, but it appears you can. Awesome. Thank you for the suggestion.

I am very confused by this.

You already own 15800 Developer purchased points with two units, and have an unknown number of points from 4 others. (I am assuming you have spent ~80-100k on the developer units + probably another ~20k on resales). I would think at this point you would know what was rentable and what wasn't given that you have spent $100-120k on HGVC properties.

Even at $4/point your 8200 points cost you over $30k. Even if you rent it and earn $500/year your 30k earning 2.4% with a 10 year treasury is still more profitable for less work ($720/year interest vs $500/year rental). Bump it up to $5 or $6 a point and the math becomes even worse.

Jason245, you are looking at this from the perspective of a pure investment and that is a valid analysis. However, that is not my only criteria.

First of all, I am using the rental rate of 1.5x maintenance fees to get rid of properties that have no intrinsic value at all (e.g., Vegas and Orlando mostly). If you cannot rent the property consistently for more than the maintenance fee, there is zero benefit to owning a timeshare. Having a consistent rental value implies that the timeshare week has real value and could be resold. No more than that, but it is a good filter to get rid of the garbage properties. I still do a discounted cash flow to approximate what the property is really worth intrinsically using realistic rental values from VRBO and Redweek. This is how I valued all of my purchases so far (including the developer properties I purchased).

I use a DCF instead of a comparison to investment rates of return because I actually use my timeshare home weeks at least 50% of the time. If I didn't have the timeshare weeks, we would pay $2,500 - $5,000 per week for 2-3 bedroom units during the high demand weeks that we usually travel. When I don't use the home weeks, I can rent them out for those values (assuming a quality property, high demand week, location, etc.). A better way to look at the financial "benefit" of owning for me is a discounted cash flow, which assumes a net annual "value" equal to the typical rental price (or equivalently, the comparable rental price I would pay for usage if I didn't own the timeshare), less maintenance and taxes, and assuming a resale after a period of time (7-10 years depending on the property). I calculate the resale value based on what I see comparable properties advertised for at resale currently (which may actually undervalue the resale, since it is at least possible that inflation and HGVC's recent push to increase sales prices and exercises of rights of first refusal could increase resale value slightly over the next 7-10 years, but I don't include that possibility in my calculation) ... for my recent purchase I assume resale at exactly what I paid since this is at or below market at $2.75 per point for two high demand fixed weeks in south Florida.

And, for me, the Elite Plus benefits have real value. I would pay cash just to get upgraded to Elite Plus if that were an option, probably around $5,000 if it were offered as a pure cash upgrade because the benefits for me are worth that (just the option to convert current year unused points to HHonors, and availability of European properties is worth that to me). Alas, not an option with HGVC so you have to add in value for that benefit.

So if you want to run the analysis:

Value of two vacation weeks @2.75 per two prime vacation weeks (and 12,000 points total):
$5,000 (value to me of getting to Elite Plus tier)
$34,990 (discounted cash flow assuming a conservative net rental or actual usage value of $2,000 per year after maintenance/taxes, and sale in year 8 at same price I paid, with discount rate set to 4.5%)
Total: $39,990

Since I paid $33K, I feel good about this. Even ignoring the value of Elite Plus to me, I am still at above break-even just on the discounted cash flow.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually was able to find a week 52 and week 1 unit (two weeks) for a total of less $2.75 per point, and will count to my Elite Plus since purchased through HGVC resales... I did not realize you could get elite credit from purchasing resale through HGVC, but it appears you can. Awesome. Thank you for the suggestion.
I'm glad this worked out for you. If you don't mind sharing, at what property did you end up purchasing?

Kurt

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
And, for me, the Elite Plus benefits have real value. I would pay cash just to get upgraded to Elite Plus if that were an option, probably around $5,000 if it were offered as a pure cash upgrade because the benefits for me are worth that (just the option to convert current year unused points to HHonors, and availability of European properties is worth that to me). Alas, not an option with HGVC so you have to add in value for that benefit.

Hi

Looking at the elite member tier perks, and they don't state anything about elite plus being able to obtain availability at a European property?

http://www.hgvcelite.com/recognition/at-a-glance/

Are you referring to the regular Hilton hotels in Europe?

Btw I assume you already know this, but converting hgvc points to hhonors is a poor use of points. Added that all members can convert current use year points to hhonors at the rate of 1:20, elite get a slightly better rate of 1:25. Unless we are talking about an urban property then those points can be converted at 1:50.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jason245, you are looking at this from the perspective of a pure investment and that is a valid analysis. However, that is not my only criteria.

First of all, I am using the rental rate of 1.5x maintenance fees to get rid of properties that have no intrinsic value at all (e.g., Vegas and Orlando mostly). If you cannot rent the property consistently for more than the maintenance fee, there is zero benefit to owning a timeshare. Having a consistent rental value implies that the timeshare week has real value and could be resold. No more than that, but it is a good filter to get rid of the garbage properties. I still do a discounted cash flow to approximate what the property is really worth intrinsically using realistic rental values from VRBO and Redweek. This is how I valued all of my purchases so far (including the developer properties I purchased).

I use a DCF instead of a comparison to investment rates of return because I actually use my timeshare home weeks at least 50% of the time. If I didn't have the timeshare weeks, we would pay $2,500 - $5,000 per week for 2-3 bedroom units during the high demand weeks that we usually travel. When I don't use the home weeks, I can rent them out for those values (assuming a quality property, high demand week, location, etc.). A better way to look at the financial "benefit" of owning for me is a discounted cash flow, which assumes a net annual "value" equal to the typical rental price (or equivalently, the comparable rental price I would pay for usage if I didn't own the timeshare), less maintenance and taxes, and assuming a resale after a period of time (7-10 years depending on the property). I calculate the resale value based on what I see comparable properties advertised for at resale currently (which may actually undervalue the resale, since it is at least possible that inflation and HGVC's recent push to increase sales prices and exercises of rights of first refusal could increase resale value slightly over the next 7-10 years, but I don't include that possibility in my calculation) ... for my recent purchase I assume resale at exactly what I paid since this is at or below market at $2.75 per point for two high demand fixed weeks in south Florida.

So if you want to run the analysis:

Value of two vacation weeks @2.75 per two prime vacation weeks (and 12,000 points total):
$5,000 (value to me of getting to Elite Plus tier)
$34,990 (discounted cash flow assuming a conservative net rental or actual usage value of $2,000 per year after maintenance/taxes, and sale in year 8 at same price I paid, with discount rate set to 4.5%)
Total: $39,990

Since I paid $33K, I feel good about this. Even ignoring the value of Elite Plus to me, I am still at above break-even just on the discounted cash flow.
I get your analysis, but you are missing something. . If you only use dcf without taking other methods into account you may find the math doesn't work well.

Let me give you my example:

I picked up an eoy even and odd bay club 1br 4800 points on ebay for a total cost of $60 plus I think around 800 on enrollment fees. Seller paid closing and transfer fees I only had to enroll.

Total cash outflow : 860

I use those 2 units every year for at least one stay where rental would significantly be more than mf for the entire year even though I am using about half the points, and then a trip to Orlando where I end up in a mf deficit (points to rental ) or break even at best. Payback on original investment was less than 1 year.

When the time comes to dump them, I intend to just give them away here on tug (initially trying to have someone take them from me, but offering free closing if I have to).

Renting the unit seems to be more of a hassel than it is worth, so instead I just make sure to use it every year.

In your case,
At 50 percent usage and given hgvc policy of fee free borrowing from next year, I would say that you own 50 percent too many points.

As for hilton rofr and the idea that values will at least stay flat.. you are still losing money on that deal. Cpi for 2016 was 2.7percent. .

I get the whole dcf if you were renting the unit every single year. But even in that model most businesses would want a break even much sooner than 8 years. Especially when one special assessment can throw you out of whack or hgvc being purchased by a company like dri making everything worthless can turn your math into garbage completely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Hi

Looking at the elite member tier perks, and they don't state anything about elite plus being able to obtain availability at a European property?

http://www.hgvcelite.com/recognition/at-a-glance/

Are you referring to the regular Hilton hotels in Europe?

Btw I assume you already know this, but converting hgvc points to hhonors is a poor use of points. Added that all members can convert current use year points to hhonors at the rate of 1:20, elite get a slightly better rate of 1:25. Unless we are talking about an urban property then those points can be converted at 1:50.

My guess is that he is talking about the "International Holiday Retreats". That's the first box in the Resorts Column for Elite Plus. I don't know anything about that program, but it seems to match the description.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are already a premier. We just bought 16800 points, from NYC Hilton Club midtown Residence Club today. We were told that we got discount due to we were elite premier (7% discount) and also we were previous owner of Hilton Club (We sold our mid town Hilton Club RTU membership back to Hilton two years ago) The pre-construction price they offered us is $7.81 per points. They took our Trump tower (10,500 points bought from Hilton) and Parc Soleil (5800 points bought from Hilton) and Flamingo (resale) and give us credit of $94,800. We will have 50:1 HHoner exchange rate and will be able to book other Hilton residence club 9 months in advance (the regular member can book 45 days in advance). The MF is $2707 for the 16800 points, and we will save over $1000 in MF with the exchange. I do not know if any other bought into Manhattan mid town Hilton Residence Club. We also get 28,000 bonus points (can be book to Hilton Club, at club reservation period, (9 months to 1 day) They told us to convert the 16800 club points to Hilton Honer points (16800 x 50 = 840,000). What do you think? Is it a good deal?

They also told us that we could book into Hilton Club with our other HGVC points. Once you are the Hilton Club Residence Club owner, the system can not identify which is the Hilton Club points, so all points in your account (including resale points) can use to book into Hilton Club at nine month window.

Last edited: