• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best snorkeling spot for beginners/children on Maui?

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying at the Marriott Lahaina & Napili Villas next month with 4 children. Looking for the best place to take them snorkeling.
This will be their first time learning how to snorkel.

Any recommendations either on Kaanapali beach or nearby?

We'll have a rental van, so any suggestions would be great!!!

Thank you!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I would suggest that you first start them out in a pool. Perhaps a shallow pool where they can stand up if they breath in some water. Don't take them into the ocean until they master that.

You didn't mention whether your children can swim and whether or not they are afraid of the water. Also, you didn't mention their ages, which would be a factor. Getting into and out of the water with out being pushed around by waves can be a little challenging for little ones. I would recommend that you don't try it if it looks like the surf is anything but pretty calm.

Snorkeling is pretty good by the Sheraton black rock which is very close to where you're staying. Lots of fish to see. But the best views are in deeper water. The slope of the bottom is gradual in many areas which leads to fairly tame surf. I enjoy the snorkling up by Napilli Bay and DT Fleming, but I wouldn't recommend it until your children have mastered snorkeling on tamer beaches.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No need to drive anywhere as Black Rock right down the beach walkway is a good snorkeling spot for sure. We've seen a big sea turtle there every time we go.

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! The snorkelers are ages 15, 13 & 12. They all grew up with a pool at home so are very comfortable in the water. We'll check out Black Rock, thanks for the suggestion!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
This article describes the best beaches. Take heed to the advice about ocean conditions. I've seen bays that were like bathwater one day, and like a washing machine the next.

DT Fleming Beach has a lifeguard, but I cannot say that it's good snorkeling.

https://thesnorkelstore.com/best-snorkeling-beaches-maui/

Also, consider taking a snorkel trip. Molokini offers outstanding visibility on calm days, but you can only get there via a boat. It can get crowded there, but there are tons of lifeguards around because every boat has certified lifeguards paddling around making sure everyone is okay.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Black Rock is nice, but is deep and can have dumping surf at the entry. Worth a try, but some of the beaches off the road as you leave Lahaina have some good basic reef snorking. Or take them on a snorkeling boat trip.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm going to Maui next week and planning to take my family on a snorkeling boat trip. It will be a first for my husband and my son (age 7). Neither are great swimmers so I insisted on classes last year. They have improved but still not good enough for me to feel comfortable taking them by myself out to snorkel anywhere except a pool :) I am glad to hear others recommending the boat tours as a good way to do good snorkeling.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
We're historically on Maui in Jan or Feb. We've done a few trips out of Kihei and were happy with the vendor and the trip. I think Molokini is a bit overrated for snorkling, particularly for beginners due to the depth, but it is impressive.

If you can handle a half-day trip, the Trilogy trip to Lanai is great. Particularly in the winter as you also get a whale trip out of it. (but not next week ;-)
http://www.sailtrilogy.com/tour/lanai

Oh yeah, try and book the morning trips. Winds can play havoc with boat schedules in the afternoon, with the impact depending on whether you're there in the summer or winter, e.g., Molokini snorkling-side tends to get rough in the winter so trip more likely to be rough, cancelled or alternate site visited.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Because your children are 12-15 y.o., have them practice in the pool for a few minutes with the snorkel equipment. Assuming that they catch on quickly, then introduce them to the ocean.

For equipment, a regular snorkle works very well. I'm skeptical of the facemasks with a built-in snorkel. I think that it is easy for them to leak. Also, I'm not a big fan of the snorkles with the little balls in them.

Blackrock is a great place to start and to gauge how they're doing. If they really catch on quickly, consider taking them to Molokini on a morning excursion.

Napili bay has good snorkeling although parking can be an issue. But the bus takes you there for $2 each way.

There is a small beach immediately south of Kahana Beach timeshare. Often there are turtles. I've seen the skin diver's buoys and people spear fishing out there so it might be a decent place to snorkle. Wear swim fins or beach shoes though as there are some rocks.

DT Fleming is also good for snorkeling. As a bonus, when you are done snorkeling, your family can go about 300 feet SW of the "left" side of the beach and have lunch/beverages at the Ritz beach bar (check for hours though).

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I think the best snorkling spot is Honolua Bay north of Kapalua.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I think the best snorkling spot is Honolua Bay north of Kapalua.
Count me as another Honolua Bay fan. But you have to go out a fair bit along the shore to the right to get good quantities for fish. Perhaps not for beginners...though the water is usually calm. Best to get there well before 10 am if you want to find parking.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We're historically on Maui in Jan or Feb. We've done a few trips out of Kihei and were happy with the vendor and the trip. I think Molokini is a bit overrated for snorkling, particularly for beginners due to the depth, but it is impressive.

I've been Molokini three times now. Once it was meh, once it was really good, and once it was "Awww, I see now why everyone recommends this places!" When the ocean is calm, and the sun is shining, you can see 100 feet down. Just magnificent. And I think that Molokini, with its kayaking lifeguards milling around, not to mention a thousand eyes all looking down, would make it safer for beginners than snorkeling off shore. (I mean, you can drown in 6 feet of water as easily as you can 100 feet.) And, in Hawaii (unlike the Caribbean), getting in and out of the water from a boat is much easier than wading in from shore. I've amused myself for hours sitting on the beach in front of WKORV and watching snorkelers get in and out of the water.

P.S. Honolua Bay may be the exception, as when it's calm, getting in and out of the water is easy courtesy of an old (mossy) boat ramp. Do check it out if you can.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We are here in Maui now and our snorkeling tour to Molokini is tomorrow. We booked ours through the Pacific Whale Foundation because we wanted to make sure we booked an ecologically responsible tour. Here is the link to the foundation: https://www.pacificwhale.org/

We are all three nervous about it because hubby and son have never snorkeled outside a pool and it's been decades for me. But I'm excited.
I will post more after :D

One thing I did want to mention is that we planned our morning adventures (snorkeling for instance) in the early part of the trip and the evening adventures (shows) for the end of the trip because of the time change. We figured it would be easier to wake up early when it still feels like we're on our home time.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
Some snorkeling tour companies will supply life vests to inexperienced snorkelers to help them feel more relaxed.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We are here in Maui now and our snorkeling tour to Molokini is tomorrow. We booked ours through the Pacific Whale Foundation because we wanted to make sure we booked an ecologically responsible tour. Here is the link to the foundation: https://www.pacificwhale.org/

We are all three nervous about it because hubby and son have never snorkeled outside a pool and it's been decades for me. But I'm excited.
I will post more after :D

One thing I did want to mention is that we planned our morning adventures (snorkeling for instance) in the early part of the trip and the evening adventures (shows) for the end of the trip because of the time change. We figured it would be easier to wake up early when it still feels like we're on our home time.
This may be too late for your upcoming tour, but if you book online (which you may have done) you get a discount. Also check the coupons they give you when you check in. Many times they are good, like a free dessert or appetizer at a restaurant you might go to anyway.

We really like Pacific Whale Foundation and have become members.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Yes we booked online :)

We had FANTASTIC weather and the snorkeling was great! The crew was awesome and helpful. I absolutely LOVED it. I hadn't been snorkeling in a long time and it was only by Catalina Island so I have never done it in warm water with tropical fish. I just loved it. I want to do more. And my husband enjoyed it but he didn't get to do as much snorkeling. I did not see a turtle or octopus but I did see a million fish, urchins, and coral. I watched one fish for quite a while moving rocks around - it was kind of funny. I had a great time. The comfort of having lifeguards near by coupled with the warm water and high visibility made it just totally amazing!

Unfortunately my son was just too afraid of the open water and he could not overcome his fears and go in. We tried 5 times to get him in and as far as he would go was dip his feet in. The fear was just so strong. He was crying because he really wanted to see the fish and he said he felt like a failure... it was very sad. The crew was compassionate and helpful but not intrusive or too joking about it. So mostly I just snorkeled alone since hubby was pretty nervous and preferred to just watch our son. But he did go in a little bit and hubby enjoyed it. Hubby wants to try again in the future, maybe when it's just us two. He did like the boat ride though and thought the presentations from the crew and the food was good.

---
BTW I went for a swim yesterday in the ocean right outside Valley Isle. I was just going to swim but some snorkelers asked if I saw anything and so I started looking and listening. OMG I think these islands are just surrounded with life! It's amazing how much is just right there within 10 feet of shore and it's often visible. I just had my goggles and wasn't planning on watching what was below me much, just wanted to enjoy the warm waters. I saw an eel, sea cucumbers, a wide variety of tropical fish, urchins... and it is all right there. Plus the sound of the reef crackling is overwhelming to me. It's an announcement of all that life - "come look at us!"

BUT... those snorkelers who asked me what I saw said they didn't see anything. I kept pointing out fish to them and they just did not see them. And my husband saw lots of cool things but said he did not hear the crackling I was talking about. Today I got videos and that crackling is on the videos so he heard it in video and knows I was not imagining things :) Point is, some people need a lot more practice to see wildlife than other people. Some people just may not enjoy snorkeling as much as others due to this.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VegasBella, I'm so happy you enjoyed your snorkel. Your son will have plenty of opportunities to snorkel, because once you go to Hawaii, you can't wait to go back!

And my husband saw lots of cool things but said he did not hear the crackling I was talking about. Today I got videos and that crackling is on the videos so he heard it in video and knows I was not imagining things :)

The crackling you heard was probably parrot fish crunching the coral. (You're not crazy!)

P.S. I wonder if your snorkeling friends need to ask for prescription goggles. Most snorkel shops rent them.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Yes, husband needs the optical mask for snorkeling. He says it's amazing and never knew how much he didn't see in the past just using goggles or regular masks. We rented gear for the three of us and we have been snorkeling by the resort now. So at least the kiddo is getting to see the tropical fish and have a real snorkeling experience even if he didn't get to do it in Molokini Crater. If we do come back I think he will overcome the fear of swimming way out in the middle of the ocean.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Several years ago Patti and I had vision corrected lens inserted into our Masks. We simply took the Vision Correction Card from the Optometrist to the Dive Shop. It was quick and relatively inexpensive. Both of us wear bifocals and each eye is slightly different. Normally you only get the Correction for Distant Vision. Patti was amazed by what she had been missing. We have our own Snorkeling gear (to include Skins, Patti uses 2 piece Skins and I still use the old fashion single piece skin from ankle to wrist). The Masks always go in our Carryon but all the rest goes into a large Suitcase with a bunch of other stuff.