• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Timeshare Beach in Cancun/RM

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Hey Tuggers,

I am putting in a request with II for Christmas 2017 (i know a little late to start a search)
in Cancun/Riviera Maya.

I am wondering if all of these resorts have good swimming beaches in front of them. We dont really use the hotel pools, we are beach lovers. 2 adults and 2 teens.

Here are the resorts I am condidering for my request:

Westin Lagunamar
Villa Del Palmar
Royal Islander
Royal Sands
Royal Carribean

How are these beaches? Any others I should add?

Thank you :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Royal Sands is mandatory all inclusive with hefty fees for such. I would think that Westin Lagunamar would be impossible for Christmas as this week currently isn't available to book using Vistana StarOptions. Royal Islander and Carribean are voluntary AI and should be decent options, though I haven't been to either. Villa Del Palmar isn't in the main Cancun Hotel Zone.

The beaches of the three Royals and Lagunamar would be the same. The entire hotel zone that faces east is on the same beach strip. The beach is wonderful, though the sea may not always be swim able as waves can be rough and you can have strong undertows or currents. Villa Del Palmar may have easier swimming since that part of the shore is protected by Isla Mujeres.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Villa del Palmar has a terrible beach. It is also a very isolated property. We stayed there a few years ago and although we always rent a car we still felt stranded. We own at the Royal Sands and it's beach is beautiful. If you rent a unit from an owner there you are exempt from the AI. The Royal Islander and the Royal Caribbean do not have AI ( it's not optional because there isn't any) and their beaches are also wonderful. We are staying at the Lagunamar in April, since they are very close to the RS I assume their beach is great too.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Great information Ilene & Dioxide!! Thank you!
I will remove Villa Del PalMar Cancun and Royal Sands.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Villa del Palmar has a terrible beach. It is also a very isolated property. We stayed there a few years ago and although we always rent a car we still felt stranded. We own at the Royal Sands and it's beach is beautiful. If you rent a unit from an owner there you are exempt from the AI. The Royal Islander and the Royal Caribbean do not have AI ( it's not optional because there isn't any) and their beaches are also wonderful. We are staying at the Lagunamar in April, since they are very close to the RS I assume their beach is great too.
Thanks for clarifying the AI status of Islander and Caribbean. For some reason I thought they went voluntary AI when the Sands went mandatory. Apparently I was wrong. The problem with Cancun now is that there are so few non mandatory AI options. With the end coming to Islander in the next few years, the number grows even smaller. Currently the only Premier Cancun resorts that don't have mandatory AI are (listed in order of my preference); Westin Lagunamar, Royal Caribbean, Royal Islander, Royal Cancun and Villa Del Palmar.

I think for any of them, Christmas is going to be a stretch. The Royals have probably already bulked in to II for 2017 and Vistana would probably never deposit a week 51 or 52 at Lagunamar. You could also consider the Vidanta properties in Riviera Maya, but I don't think they bulk holiday weeks. You might have to rent from an owner. Also, consider that airfare and all other things will have premium pricing at that time of year. It is peak season. Good luck.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We have stayed at Royal Islander and Lagunamar, both had great beaches and we were able to swim every day.
We much preferred the Westin for activities and atmosphere.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Ditto for Lagunamar. It is groomed every morning. A great bech for the hotel zone.

If you really want a great beach in Cancun you are best to take the ferry to Isla Mujeres and head to Playa Norte. The water is calm and very very clear.

Boonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Royal Caribbean a couple years ago it was not mandatory AI. It is not on the strip a bit further down but there is a bus stop near. The beach area had a lot is seaweed but it was very common at that time and would get cleaned up. I really liked the resort unless location matters where you want to be close to the action.

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
None of the Royal Resorts require All Inclusive if you rent from an owner. Renting from an owner allows you to do AI for 4 days or 1 week. Your choice.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
None of the Royal Resorts require All Inclusive if you rent from an owner. Renting from an owner allows you to do AI for 4 days or 1 week. Your choice.
Great! Do you know about how much the AI fees are at the Royals? I assume minimum 3 days like most? Ty

JaHam70

Reaction score
We stayed at Royal Caribbean about 5 years ago and in Club Regina Cancun recently because of our membership at Raintree Vacation Club. Both beaches are very beautiful, if you want to have a lot of fun and activities, the 1st one is for you, if you prefear to have relaxation and privacy, the 2nd one is perfect. We prefeared to have more intimate moments, and move to different entertainment activities near the hotel.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best beaches in Riviera Maya are in the Playacar area by Royal Hideaway and Occidental Playacar (formerly Allegro Playacar). The beaches there are beautiful white sand beaches. The beaches in that area have been voted #1. Also they are close to the 5th avenue shopping and restaurant area and Xcaret. I think that is the best place to stay. You can also easily take the ferry to Cozumel for the day.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, Occidental Xcaret is beautiful too but it does not have a real beach, just a lagoon but the resort is gorgeous and the AIs are reasonable.