• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Value for the dollar in HGVC system?

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I am sure this comes up all the time but being relatively new to HGVC/HC I wanted to look into this.
I may want more points to supplement my purchase at HC NYC and want cheap points and low MF obviously (Points are Points). I know things change month to month and probably won't pull the trigger on a purchase until next year but what properties in the HGVC system fit that need the best? My brother who has been at this for years said that you can get the information from HGVC sales ("update meeting") but as you may suspect he said not to do that stating that it generally leads to an intense sales session. Any other information sources, possibly on line, listings giving dollars/points and MF's across all HGVC properties?
Thanks in advance.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I am sure this comes up all the time but being relatively new to HGVC/HC I wanted to look into this.
I may want more points to supplement my purchase at HC NYC and want cheap points and low MF obviously (Points are Points). I know things change month to month and probably won't pull the trigger on a purchase until next year but what properties in the HGVC system fit that need the best? My brother who has been at this for years said that you can get the information from HGVC sales ("update meeting") but as you may suspect he said not to do that stating that it generally leads to an intense sales session. Any other information sources, possibly on line, listings giving dollars/points and MF's across all HGVC properties?
Thanks in advance.

Wow, did your brother buy direct from the Hilton? That would be the only way someone would suggest that you could get good information about buying from HGVC sales. This is the best forum for that information. Others on this forum may give you precise numbers. Las Vegas gives you the lowest Maintenance Fees for the points, although not the lowest purchase prices. Seth Nock, sellingtimeshares.net can give you further information about precise sales prices and maintenance fees.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Wow, did your brother buy direct from the Hilton? That would be the only way someone would suggest that you could get good information about buying from HGVC sales. This is the best forum for that information. Others on this forum may give you precise numbers. Las Vegas gives you the lowest Maintenance Fees for the points, although not the lowest purchase prices. Seth Nock, sellingtimeshares.net can give you further information about precise sales prices and maintenance fees.[/QUOT

Yes he did by direct from Hilton years ago. But NO he did not suggest getting info from HGVC sales. He said that at one of those "owner update" sessions he had been presented with pretty complete computer listings of pricing and MF's breaking down points/dollar etc... However, he did specifically say don't do it and buy in the resale market. I suspect what ever Hilton presents in their sales information regarding property pricing would only equate into the resale market at a lesser rate. Of course MFs are set and those are not negotiable but obviously factor into any purchase.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
You can sometimes get good information from the owners updates, but in my experience they typically only share information about a subset of properties. Specifically they are only interesting in talking about the properties they can sell. I think some locations can only sell their local resorts, or if they can sell other locations they get a better incentive to sell specific units or locations.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
You can sometimes get good information from the owners updates, but in my experience they typically only share information about a subset of properties.

I agree. I really don't plan to do any more owners updates unless they really make it worth my while. Like several others, I value my time while on vacation more than $100-150 gift for 1-1/2 hours of my time. Sometimes I do get a few nuggets of information.

Here is my last owner's update:

We just attended an "Owner's Update" at Sunrise Lodge in Park City, Utah. I do agree with many others that a $100 gift is no longer worth wasting my time for these sales pitches. At Sunrise Lodge, one of the offers to attend is two lift tickets for Deer Valley worth ~$260 total. Now, for me this was worth it since our group wanted to ski Deer Valley during this trip. Also, an owner's update only takes 1 hour at Sunrise Lodge assuming that you don't purchase something (of which we weren't).

Our 1 hour "Owner's Update" started out very interesting with our rep asking "why are you here?". Before, I could even say anything, he stated, "you sure do have a lot of points of which you are using". His next question was, "What did it take to get you in here, I sure hope that it was worth it?". I was finally able to answer that question with the promise of the Deer Valley ski tickets. I also added that we weren't looking to add anymore points since we had enough.

The rep did provide a fairly good overall "Owner's Update". Most of what he said, I already knew, but a few things I hadn't looked at in awhile. He never did give a "sales pitch" for us to purchase something. I don't think that they could come up with anything that would make any sense at all. One hour later, almost to the minute, we were done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the lower the buy-in price, the higher the annual dues, and visa versa.

Some will say buy Las Vegas, some will say Kings Land. Ultimately, you will have to decide on the total number of points you want to buy and then determine where the cost/benefit ratio lies for you. If you are a long term holder, then pay more up front and get lower dues. If you are a short to medium term owner, then buy cheap and get moderate dues.

As far as my research, there is NO HGVC contract that offers the combination of lowest purchase price and lowest annual dues.

In my opinion, the best buys are the two locations I mentioned above.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Generally speaking, the lower the buy-in price, the higher the annual dues, and visa versa.

Some will say buy Las Vegas, some will say Kings Land. Ultimately, you will have to decide on the total number of points you want to buy and then determine where the cost/benefit ratio lies for you. If you are a long term holder, then pay more up front and get lower dues. If you are a short to medium term owner, then buy cheap and get moderate dues.

As far as my research, there is NO HGVC contract that offers the combination of lowest purchase price and lowest annual dues.

In my opinion, the best buys are the two locations I mentioned above.

Small point of clarifications. If you are already an HGVC member and paying annual dues on your current property do you pay it again on a second purchased property (presumably bought in the secondary market/resale)? I understand there will be MF's of course.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Small point of clarifications. If you are already an HGVC member and paying annual dues on your current property do you pay it again on a second purchased property (presumably bought in the secondary market/resale)? I understand there will be MF's of course.

You only are charged the membership dues portion on one contract. I have two contracts and the membership only is billed on one ONLY.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

I think that you have used the word "dues" where you mean MFs. You only pay one Club dues independant on the number of different properties that you own. Of course, Sandy VDN already pointed that out.

I know when I was adding points to my portfolio, I didn't even look at what I would consider high MFs/lower number of points contracts. I was looking for ~$1/point in cost and ~$0.1/point MFs. That is the criteria that I used.

User baf99 developed a tool to compare value of various properties. I thought that is was pretty neat. (http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-cost-comparison.242429/). You could use the tool to see which property was better in terms of cost assuming you are only evaluating points.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
...but as you may suspect he said not to do that stating that it generally leads to an intense sales session.

We've gone to a fair number of these as we can generally get out in 45 minutes and get $150-$200 in value. I have yet to find one that was intense. Others have reported this, but I've found it very easy to get out in minimal time with no pressure.

Cheers.