• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best way to rent/exchange my week

amberlyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I [own a good week at a ski resort], but I am not going to be able to use it.
I am not currently a member of II, or any other exchange company. I have considered posting on the Tug listings and Redweek. It is a great week, but I have never tried to rent. Looking for any words of wisdom from those who have tried different avenues.
Thanks!
[Details removed to prevent this from being a rental ad.]

Last edited by a moderator:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I [own a good week at a ski resort], but I am not going to be able to use it.
I am not currently a member of II, or any other exchange company. I have considered posting on the Tug listings and Redweek. It is a great week, but I have never tried to rent. Looking for any words of wisdom from those who have tried different avenues.
Thanks!

We only infrequently rent out any of our weeks, but have no difficulty doing so when circumstances require it. A few general observations and opinions follow, although I know nothing at all about your particular CA resort.

1. Bite the bullet and pay for a (carefully prepared) rental ad on RedWeek. The fact that only paid RedWeek members can respond to RedWeek ads at all virtually eliminates scammers, spammers and insincere tire kickers, none of whom will "pay to play". You can advertise for free on Craigslist, but IMO you often get exactly what you pay for there. TUG members can place free ads in the TUG Marketplace, but I have frankly had very little success with TUG rental ads (none at all, in fact). Also, place the RedWeek rental ad long in advance. After all, RW allows the listing to be posted for a full six months, if necessary.

2. Use a good rental contract --- and spell out everything in clear and specific detail, including occupancy limits (yes, infants count), dates and times of check-in and check-out, clear payment / cancellation / refund policy, no pets, no sub-lease, credit card presented at check-in in same name as contract signatory, minimum age of signatory / tenants (particularly if your week might attract college Spring Break party animals --- a demographic I always avoid like the plague (I specify minimum age of 25 in my rental contract, but YMMV). Btw, some people naively choose to believe that email exchanges, content or addenda are somehow an acceptable or enforceable substitute for a mutually signed, hard copy contract document; I personally do not share that viewpoint.

3. When you get a sincere response from someone who wants to proceed, invite the prospective tenant to contact the resort directly to verify your legitimacy. While no responsible resort will disclose any owner information, they will at least certainly verify owner information already possessed by the inquiring party. You might want to have some phone conversation with a prospective nervous tenant to alleviate any concerns they might have and / or if they just want to make a human connection to complete the rental.

4. RedWeek offers "full service" for listings, but I would avoid the complication (and additional expense) that using it entails. A rep unfamiliar with the resort who cannot answer specific questions posed by a prospective tenant about the resort, proximity of the resort to ski lifts, elevators, distance to / from parking, etc. is not really "helping" you. If you end up having to answer those questions yourself anyhow, then why involve (or pay) a third party "middleman" at all in the first place? I'd also steer clear of nervous would-be tenants who want to use RedWeek's "escrow service" for rentals; its' utilization means that you won't receive payment until after the rental is completed. You may feel differently, but I personally find that arrangement to be completely unacceptable.

5. Do your homework to establish a fair rental figure. You obviously have to beat the resort's own "rack rates" to be competitive, but you also obviously want to at least cover your maintenance fees (...and then some, hopefully).

I hope some of this helps. Don't be intimidated about renting out a desirable week, just be smart and careful and attentive to details as you do so. Good luck.

Last edited:

amberlyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo!
Thank you so much for your thorough review! (& sorry I guess I put too much info and it was edited)

What pay service have you used? It looks like many use Paypal and some use checks. I just don't trust checks anymore, but I guess if I got it early enough and made sure it cleared prior to putting it in their name.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo!
Thank you so much for your thorough review! (& sorry I guess I put too much info and it was edited)

What pay service have you used? It looks like many use Paypal and some use checks. I just don't trust checks anymore, but I guess if I got it early enough and made sure it cleared prior to putting it in their name.

Personally, in the occasional instances when I rent out a week, I accept a check for payment; I do not utilize any "pay service". Then again, I also require payment in full long before the actual rental date, so if there is a "problem" with a check, my belief is that the problem will surface in plenty of time for me to terminate the rental and find another tenant. I also do not notify my resort of the "alternative occupants" until all payment matters are resolved and cleared.
I cannot speak knowledgeably to the payment receipt practices of those timeshare owners who rent out their intervals on a larger / commercial scale. :shrug:

Last edited: