• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bison Ranch vs Pinetop

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one last certificate for a 7 night trip from my 90 minute sales pitch. Since I live in Phoenix I just want a quick road trip and then relax for a week. Looking at the cold month of January so probably will not being do much outdoor activities.

Been to Flagstaff a few times and love it. They have the option for Bison Ranch and Pinetop both Wyndham resorts. Was looking on feedback on which one is great to just hang out in the room for the most part for the 7 nights. Both are two bedrooms.

Appreciate the insight.

Reaction score
I've never been to either one but I would advise you to look at your certificate. If it is like one we got, it was only good for a vacation booked 30 days or less in advance. Good luck trying to find something decent for a week with that very small reservation window.

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Weather Will Influence

There will be plenty of winter availability so it's likely you can get a unit on one of the free certificates. As far as unit comfort it's going to be about sixes. Bison Ranch will be more of an "old western" feel, Pinetop will be more like a "cabin suites' action.

Pinetop will be easier road travel and there is more to do in the area with the Pinetop / Showlow / Snowflake all close together -- small communities which have grown up a lot in the last 10 years. Take the 60 through Globe and then drop south to Pinetop from Showlow.

Getting to the Heber (Overgaard) area gets a little more complicated in winter because there is a high-pass right there in that Apache NF area and the roads are more wiggly windy. Pretty in the daytime however and really scenic.

Both areas are beautiful. Pack for cold weather because winters can get into freezing temps. Wind can bite a bit but if it's a stay-in-the-unit and relax kinda free getaway, take your Amazon Firestick. ;) Units have fireplaces and both are great locations for cram-as-much-nothing-into-a-vacation-as-possible.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
There will be plenty of winter availability so it's likely you can get a unit on one of the free certificates. As far as unit comfort it's going to be about sixes. Bison Ranch will be more of an "old western" feel, Pinetop will be more like a "cabin suites' action.

Pinetop will be easier road travel and there is more to do in the area with the Pinetop / Showlow / Snowflake all close together -- small communities which have grown up a lot in the last 10 years. Take the 60 through Globe and then drop south to Pinetop from Showlow.

Getting to the Heber (Overgaard) area gets a little more complicated in winter because there is a high-pass right there in that Apache NF area and the roads are more wiggly windy. Pretty in the daytime however and really scenic.

Both areas are beautiful. Pack for cold weather because winters can get into freezing temps. Wind can bite a bit but if it's a stay-in-the-unit and relax kinda free getaway, take your Amazon Firestick. ;) Units have fireplaces and both are great locations for cram-as-much-nothing-into-a-vacation-as-possible.

Greatly appreciate the insight. I was wondering which would be an easier drive in the winter. I know some of the roads heading up north from Phoenix can get iffy during the winter season. I know Pinetop is a little further away. I think I would probably prefer the cabin feel over the western.

Firestick is always a must. Don't like how the Flagstaff blocks Netflix on the firestick but hey there are other streaming apps. Not sure if all the resorts block Netflix.

Thanks for the advice.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never been to either one but I would advise you to look at your certificate. If it is like one we got, it was only good for a vacation booked 30 days or less in advance. Good luck trying to find something decent for a week with that very small reservation window.

Well part of that is correct. They only allow the "free" week within 30 days. Lucked out before and got a 2 bedroom at flagstaff last time I used one within the 30 days. Yeah those don't up up very often.

They also have where you can book 31-90 for an "upgrade fee". Usually between $20 - $100 per night depending on the resort. The good ones always disappear before the 30 day free start.

I ended up going ahead and booking the Pinetop Worldmark 89 days in advance and had to pay $27 a night, so a total of $189 for the 7 night stay. Worth it to me knowing that I can plan to stay there without having to worry what is available at the 30 day mark. It is a value week for points so only 82,000 for the 2 bedroom I got but hey that is still lower then my MF for points.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
JUst FYI - Not entirely sure that either resort will have internet that comfortably supports streaming. PInetop Internet was not blazing when we were there. So have a backup plan.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
JUst FYI - Not entirely sure that either resort will have internet that comfortably supports streaming. PInetop Internet was not blazing when we were there. So have a backup plan.

Appreciate the heads up. That is going to kind of stink but guess I better pack some shows and movies.

Did you have to pay for internet? Looking at the WorldMark page it says internet is available for a fee.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be too late now, but did you check for availability at Sedona? Beautiful place, as I'm sure you know, and the resort is very nice.

Yeah that was not available via that "free" 7 day voucher. Never seen that one come available. I will keep it in mind for using my actual points whenever my resell account comes available.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the heads up. That is going to kind of stink but guess I better pack some shows and movies.

Did you have to pay for internet? Looking at the WorldMark page it says internet is available for a fee.

Worldmark via RCI you will probably pay for Internet. They usually run through Resortnet portal to manage usage, usually 2 (sometimes 4) per device per code, 7-10 day options. Call the resort directly to verify and also double check occupancy tax. Some WM locations will charge a daily OCC tax. Tucson an all the Cali WM locations do for sure.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark via RCI you will probably pay for Internet. They usually run through Resortnet portal to manage usage, usually 2 (sometimes 4) per device per code, 7-10 day options. Call the resort directly to verify and also double check occupancy tax. Some WM locations will charge a daily OCC tax. Tucson an all the Cali WM locations do for sure.

Thanks guess I should have stuck with the actual Wyndham properties

hncgregoraz

Reaction score
If the resort is split and has a club wyndham part, then it will have a free wifi for club wyndham, and resortnet2 for worldmark, running on the same hardware.

Also, when we stayed at pinetop last, TOT was about $5 per day, and it's paid at booking, not at checkin. Based on your free certificate it would have been charged when you booked, if it applied.

Only issue we had with pinetop, is that it confirmed that my wife gets sick at high altitudes...

Harry

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the resort is split and has a club wyndham part, then it will have a free wifi for club wyndham, and resortnet2 for worldmark, running on the same hardware.

Harry

Presumes that the reservation is made via either a WM owner account or via a Wyndham Owner account. As an RCI guest neither applies. You will pay for access. Also, the Daily OCC tax rate will be based on the unit size. In a recent visit to Anaheim, we had 3 different unit sizes, each with a different daily rate. We booked Wyndham units at WM property via Wyndham resv system.

We paid for OCC tax but no fees for Internet. They gave me four 2-device codes. On the flip side WM owners don't pay the OCC tax but pay for internet.

Tradeoff.... owners. But RCI guests... SOL

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Presumes that the reservation is made via either a WM owner account or via a Wyndham Owner account. As an RCI guest neither applies. You will pay for access. Also, the Daily OCC tax rate will be based on the unit size. In a recent visit to Anaheim, we had 3 different unit sizes, each with a different daily rate. We booked Wyndham units at WM property via Wyndham resv system.

We paid for OCC tax but no fees for Internet. They gave me four 2-device codes. On the flip side WM owners don't pay the OCC tax but pay for internet.

Tradeoff.... owners. But RCI guests... SOL

Thanks...I emailed the resort a couple of days ago and of course no response. Guess I'll have to call in the next few days to verify they got my reservation and see what kind of fees I will get charged.

Guess I better buy a portable router so I can use more then 2 devices. Heck even my preschool school has two kindles he uses. :shrug: Guess more sales for Amazon. Hopefully WM doesn't try to block any certain models. I am sure they know people do it.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weather Will Influence

I know it's an old thread but wanted to follow up with a thank you to BellaWyn. Did the drive yesterday to Pinetop via the 60 and it was a great drive. Very easy and stopped many times to take pictures. Unit is nice but differently not a higher end one. Several problems in the unit itself but hey I don't like to complain and I can live with them. Looking forward to a fun week here with my son. Missed the snow here but guess I will take a quick drive up to Snowflake and see if he will go sledding.

Thanks again.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it's an old thread but wanted to follow up with a thank you to BellaWyn. Did the drive yesterday to Pinetop via the 60 and it was a great drive. Very easy and stopped many times to take pictures. Unit is nice but differently not a higher end one. Several problems in the unit itself but hey I don't like to complain and I can live with them. Looking forward to a fun week here with my son. Missed the snow here but guess I will take a quick drive up to Snowflake and see if he will go sledding.
Thanks again.
Have a great time neighbor! Love love love NoAZ! More pretty views than you can ever cram into one trip. This is a great time of year to do this trip! Appreciate the shout out!

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I even love the drive from 40 to Phoenix. Just gorgeous.