• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking thru RCI: Room Upgrades (Mexico)

Jeremy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Vegas Elara
I apologize if this is the wrong forum section (I did some searches and didn't see where to post this, or the answer).

Looking to book an AI location in Mexico (but certainly not stuck on Mexico) and on the sub-par RCI website, I only see "hotel" and "studio". Plus some super high ($200-300+) per day, per person AI fees.

Anyways, for example, I was looking at the Secrets Silversands Riviera resort and see it's only 2400 points for a week (plus those awesome AI fees) - yet I can't upgrade the room.

Is there no way at all, even if I call, to use points to get a better room? As in the over-the-pool honeymoon suite or any of their other upgraded suites.

Thanks much for any help. Owner as of a year ago at the Elara - have 5000 EOY points and have 12k bonus points to burn. :)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Many of the AI's are not timeshares and only put the standard rooms in the RCI exchange program in many cases because they fill inventory that would otherwise be empty and they make just as much through the AI fees. In fact when they do offer larger units the AI fee per person per day usually just goes up . There are some like the Palace/HardRock resorts that do have owner/members but have way more standard rooms than upgraded suites and again reserve those units for those paying all cash or club members within their own system.

The resort gets no compensation for points you use. If RCI doesn't have the inventory they can't offer it.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I have looked at AI, All Inclusive, Resort before and got the impression that they would be willing to give the room away just to get you to pay the All Inclusive Fees which are per person as opposed to the Rental Room Cost.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please be aware that some resorts have min occupancy restrictions based on room type. For e.g a 2 Br may require 6 people and they will charge 6 AI fees. Please call resort and ask about min occupancy restrictions before you upgrade. Few months back we stayed at Royal Sands in a 2Br and took the AI option (no min occupancy restriction here ) . The AI includes all the Royal Resorts restaurants and few outside restaurants. We really liked Captains Cove in Hotel Zone which was part of the AI deal :).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Looking to book an AI location in Mexico (but certainly not stuck on Mexico) and on the sub-par RCI website, I only see "hotel" and "studio". Plus some super high ($200-300+) per day, per person AI fees.

What about Fiesta Americana - several locations to pick from but I would highly recommend the Los Cabos location. You can book this via Hilton using Hilton points but will need to call in the reservation. You can add the AI option at the resort for $80/pp/per day. A 1-bedroom during platinum season is 4800 points.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Vegas Elara
Thanks all for the info/suggestions. I just wanted to have some additional options that RCI presents, but didn't like being only limited to the standard room types. I've looked more at Fiesta Americana and it does look like a decent option.

Was just hoping there was an option on room upgrade with RCI.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Personally, we don't use the AI option at FA-Los Cabos. We like to go into town and enjoy the local restaurants (this requires a car in my opinion). I know that others enjoy the AI options. So basically, there is no right or best option for everyone. Each person must decide what it best for them.

LilyPond

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at an AI (all inclusive) resort in Mexico many years ago, in Playa del Carmen. The fees were high - had a hotel room and paid something like $1200 for the week for 2 people. The resort was nice, food everywhere, and full bottles of alcohol upside down and ready to pour in the room such as Tequila, Rum, and two others I can't think of now. Resort staff were also very nice and helpful, and there were so many restaurants on-site that we always had plenty of options for buffet or served dining.
What did concern me, and perhaps this is different now, is that the resort was fully fenced with armed guards constantly walking the perimeter. If we wanted to leave to go explore the local markets for some shopping we were urged to provide our names, room number, and how long we think we will be out to the guards at the front gate. If we didn't come back they'd come after us. They also warned us to only trust one particular cab company and never take a different one, again for our safety.
For me, I don't see myself going back to Mexico in the near future. I believe IA resorts also exist in Costa Rica and I'd love to explore a week there.
Have a great time!!! :D

thare

Reaction score
I think mexico AI via RCI is a rip off. Charging $200 pp, $100 per kid, with minimum room requirements is just their way of grabbing some extra money from timeshare owners. You can book direct into an all inclusive hotel for cheaper than those fees. Not to mention, if you are renting a timeshare, it is pretty easy to make a costco run for booze. With food/booze generally cheap outside of the resorts (PV and Cabo), it is better to just pay a la carte, and grab a beer/margarita (or 5) every time you stop by your room.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
I know the AI for owners of Fiesta Americana in Los Cabos is $80.00 a day for adults and includes liquor. I believe it is the same - or slightly more, for RCI guests - certainly not $200.00. You should double check with RCI, because it's optional if you book direct, and that MAY be true through RCI, but I can't access them right now to check.

thare

Reaction score
I know the AI for owners of Fiesta Americana in Los Cabos is $80.00 a day for adults and includes liquor. I believe it is the same - or slightly more, for RCI guests - certainly not $200.00. You should double check with RCI, because it's optional if you book direct, and that MAY be true through RCI, but I can't access them right now to check.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the rate was $200 for Fiesta, just some random RCI resorts I was looking at booking. Obviously the rip off varies by resort. $80 is a lot more reasonable, but still isn't cheap if it is mandatory for kids.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the rate was $200 for Fiesta, just some random RCI resorts I was looking at booking. Obviously the rip off varies by resort. $80 is a lot more reasonable, but still isn't cheap if it is mandatory for kids.

It's a little less for kids and really little kids are free, but I don't have the specific information at hand.