• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buyer asks for cashback deal... scam?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Why would the OP question whether it was a scam if it was written into a legitimate real estate contract? That's pretty much the point of this entire thread.

LOL - don't we consider most timeshare sales from developers "scams"? They too are "legitimate real estate contracts."

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL - don't we consider most timeshare sales from developers "scams"? They too are "legitimate real estate contracts."

I don't consider them scams. I consider most of them sucker deals and bad buying decisions for many purchasers but not scams.

The point is that the OP is referring to a side kick-back deal that would not be on the purchase contract submitted to Marriott. It's obvious. The whole thing is uncessary and the motivation is questionable enough to say no and find another buyer.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
How can you scam a Developer. We all complain about Developers, their pricing, and their sell tactics. The common advise is buy resell. If you can put one over on a Developer good job.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
How can you scam a Developer. We all complain about Developers, their pricing, and their sell tactics. The common advise is buy resell. If you can put one over on a Developer good job.

So it is ok to commit fraud against a developer, or anyone? Apparently it is easy to separate the ethical posters from the unethical.

Word for the wise. If you are interested in committing fraud against anyone, do not post it in a public forum.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The poster stated in the OP that the reason the seller wanted the $500 cash back was to side-step Marriott's ROFR.

This is all pretty much a moot point now because the OP said that (s)he wasn't going ahead with this deal. While it appears that the potential buyer is trying to sidestep Marriott's ROFR, that was not the OP's question.

The OP was asking if the potential buyer was trying to scam the owner out of $500. Every week, it seems, scammers are coming up with new and creative ways to scam TS owners and this could possibly be a new tactic.

So the big question is, is the potential buyer really wanting to buy this TS while trying to sidestep the ROFR, or is he just trying to scam the owner out of $500 with no interest in what happens to the TS in question?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is all pretty much a moot point now because the OP said that (s)he wasn't going ahead with this deal. While it appears that the potential buyer is trying to sidestep Marriott's ROFR, that was not the OP's question.

The OP was asking if the potential buyer was trying to scam the owner out of $500. Every week, it seems, scammers are coming up with new and creative ways to scam TS owners and this could possibly be a new tactic.

So the big question is, is the potential buyer really wanting to buy this TS while trying to sidestep the ROFR, or is he just trying to scam the owner out of $500 with no interest in what happens to the TS in question?

I don't see anything in the original post hinting at a fear of being scammed $500 but maybe my assumption is off. The question was asking whether anyone had heard about a deal of that nature.

That said, how could the buyer scam the seller out of $500 when the deal is calling for the buyer to pay an extra $500 which would then be returned later? If the seller accepts the offer then they would be doing so knowing they are receiving $500 less than the asking price from escrow. I don't see any angle.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
That said, how could the buyer scam the seller out of $500 when the deal is calling for the buyer to pay an extra $500 which would then be returned later?

In the Op's first sentence of the first post he said,"A potential buyer for our Marriott Newport Coast Villas has asked for a $500 cashback." And the title of the thread is "Buyer Asks for Cash Back Deal...Scam?" So it appears that the OP is wondering if this is some sort of a scam. As we TUGgers have seen on these boards for years now, scammers are coming up with more and more creative ways of scamming owners.

So while it's possible that the so-called buyer is trying to sidestep the ROFR, it's also possible that he is somehow, in a new and creative way, trying to scam an owner with a new method. So most on this thread are trying to determine what the so-called buyer's motive is for this shady-looking deal.

Regardless, I think the OP is being wise by not going ahead with this deal. There seems a lot fishy about it.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would call both of those scenarios a scam...

Kurt

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would call both of those scenarios a scam...

Kurt

Exactly, but I still don't see getting cheated out of $500 possible. If you don't trust the closing company or escrow agent then you might get cheated out of the entire amount, not $500. The $500 was above and beyond the proposed offer.

Know the closing company and escrow agent. Deed doesn't go to recording until full amount sent to escrow. The OP's proposed scenario did not have any money changing hands directly between buyer and seller.