• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying foreign currency

tiger1210

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy foreign currency before you go on your trip, banks?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on the currency, but there are usually some decent options once you get to that country (exchange kiosks, ATM withdrawal)

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
There are many threads on this subject. I think many join my preference, which is to get it out of the ATM in the terminal when you arrive.

If you're talking about a major currency, you can usually order it from your bank. They usually offer a terrible rate.

If you want just a little, then Auto Club has TipPaks, usually $93 worth of foreign currency for $100.

Here's an article about the options.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you're talking about a major currency, you can usually order it from your bank. They usually offer a terrible rate.
A banks rate is likely going to be the third best rate that you can find. Best would be using a credit card without foreign transaction fees. Second would be using an ATM in the country you are visiting to withdrawal as cash up to your single transaction limit. Third would be ordering or buying cash at a big bank. The only option to get money at the best rate before travel would be a bank. Having some cash when you land to avoid having to search out an ATM or getting stuck paying the really bad rates at the airport exchange counter. A banks rate may only be about 5-7% worse than the credit card.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Although an ATM (use a debit card) is best, I like to have some cash on hand.
That way, I can head for my hotel, instead of looking for an ATM when I land.

I use -- https://www.oanda.com/currency/traveler-cash
If you have a Wells Fargo account, they have an online service w/decent rates.
AAA also has an online foreign currency service.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Td bank has free withdrawals. A few other banks as well.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really depends on the specific country. In Canada & the countries I visited in Europe, ATMs had great rates. Oh, but I was surprised that a bank in Canada also had a great rate. I discovered that when my ATM card didn't work.

My "no foreign transaction fee" credit card used the actual days exchange rate. In London & Scotland I only used my credit card just like in the US. I got stuck with 300 pounds since I never used any cash.

Japan is a cash society. In Japan you can exchange money at the post office for the best rates. Few people know that secret.

AAA has absolutely terrible rates. A lot of people on other travel forums will tell you to just wait til you get to your destination. However, I completely understand feeling more secure when having a little bit of foreign currency before you arrive.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use atms in the country but if you really need foreign currency I have used OFX Group Ltd out of San Fransciso. You send them your money- they send you the currency you want. You can find them on line.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I use atms in the country but if you really need foreign currency I have used OFX Group Ltd out of San Fransciso. You send them your money- they send you the currency you want. You can find them on line.
Okay, how exactly did you use OFX Group? I setup an account online, called them up to verify and they indicated that they only do bank to bank transfers. There is no way to purchase physical currency through them. You must have a Mexican bank account?

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was several years ago, but I simply told them what i wanted, sent in a check and they sent the money back immediately.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reverse question... I have a lot of "loose" notes and change (a couple of hundred dollars) of each foreign currency - about 10+ countries where I kept because I was travelling alot on business and it was always useful to have some on hand. I used to be able to turn them in to local foreign exchange shops/stands if I wanted to swap back to local currency but I don't find them here in the US. I want to get rid of them, and hope to get some money back. I won't be going back to most of these countries ever again...Any suggestions?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reverse question... I have a lot of "loose" notes and change (a couple of hundred dollars) of each foreign currency - about 10+ countries where I kept because I was travelling alot on business and it was always useful to have some on hand. I used to be able to turn them in to local foreign exchange shops/stands if I wanted to swap back to local currency but I don't find them here in the US. I want to get rid of them, and hope to get some money back. I won't be going back to most of these countries ever again...Any suggestions?
Me too. Italian Lira, Spanish Pesetas, Czech Coronas, Polish Zloty, Deutsch Marks, Russian Rubles, and a few others that became worthless when all those went to the Euro. I really think they (especially the coins) are simply curios. I suppose that if you had a significant amount in a currently used currency, the mentioned (in another thread) Travelex booth (or online) might give you somewhere around 80%-90% of current value.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too. Italian Lira, Spanish Pesetas, Czech Coronas, Polish Zloty, Deutsch Marks, Russian Rubles, and a few others that became worthless when all those went to the Euro. I really think they (especially the coins) are simply curios. I suppose that if you had a significant amount in a currently used currency, the mentioned (in another thread) Travelex booth (or online) might give you somewhere around 80%-90% of current value.
Thanks. I will check it out...

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
Some Wells Fargo locations do foreign currency exchange.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or find a friend who's going to one of those countries, and do a person-to-person foreign exchange at par. You both win. I bought Euros from a co-worker before I went there. And I intentionally bought too many Euros while there, so now I have a few hundred for my next trip.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
All the folks that told you to use your debit card in an ATM after arriving are correct (provided your bank's fees for foreign currency withdrawals are reasonable).But they neglected to say that it should be a BANK ATM, not one of the commercial ones that charge usurious ATM fees. Our experience suggests also avoiding Airport ATMs, even bank ones, as we have found some to jack up their ATM fees a bit on at their airport locations.

Also, try if you can to use a bank that is in the same interbank network as your bank...like Plus or Cirrus. The fees charged will usually be less. Two examples for us are Santander (used in Mexico and Spain) and DeutschesBank in Europe. Scotia has also worked in the past. But we have learned to stay away from Sabadel in Spain.

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai

The Euro has been around a long time, but after its introduction, for years you could send notes to the central bank of the country and get them replaced ... but there was a fee, and probably a minimum. Google "exchange old european currency" and find stuff like https://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/exchange/html/index.en.html

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score