• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel/ Rebook with other systems

If your TS system allowed you to cancel and rebook within a discount window, would you?

• No, I think its cheating the way the system is supposed to work.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No, I am afraid I would get in trouble for doing it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only for personal reservations, not rentals.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes, I would take every advantage the system allows even if I know it might not last.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Yes, but not too often because I don't want to get in trouble.

• Yes, but I wouldn't tell anyone else about it and hope that others don't realize it exists.

• Total voters

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There have been lengthy debates over the Wyndham cancel and rebook abilities.

There are some other systems currently that have similar abilities where a full point reservation can be made as early as the day the reservations open up and then can be held until it reaches some point where it can be cancelled and rebooked for some kind of discount.

For example in one current system an owners can book a reservation and then cancel it and rebook it as bonus time. Bonus time is not priced according to day of week but in points weekends cost much more. When it is bonus time the owner who made two separate reservations cancels the weekend portion and then rebooks as bonus time.

If you timeshare system without announcing it as a benefit or even selling owners on the potential benefit allowed it in the course of a normal set of transactions- cancel a held reservation and then book again during the discount period- would you take advantage of this- with the knowledge you have from the Wyndham system and knowing that it is a loop hole.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
I think in your Bonus time example, the booked days and bonus time come out of a separate pool of inventory. So if you cancel your booked days the go back into one pool of days and you would book bonus time out of another. This way if their isnt any bonus time left, you cant cancel your reservation and they automatically appear in bonus time.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
First a comment on the survey: The question asks if your TS allows cancel/rebook. If it is allowed under the rules, how then might you "get into trouble" for doing it or be cheating the system etc for something that is allowed? If it is allowed, then everybody can do it how often and under whatever circumstances they choose.

In Worldmark, there is a 48 hour delay between cancelling and then rebooking a reservation as bonus time. If there is availability left, you can book bonus time, then cancel, in that order. However, if there is no availability, cancelling and then waiting 48 hours to rebook means you aren't likely to be able to rebook.

Sue

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The rules don't mention it at all. So it is not explicitly prohibited. In the wyndham case after having the ability to do it for years, the uppers seem to consider it an unfair advantage gained by manipulating the system and the system release implemented a waitlist for upgrades and extended hold after cancellation which should make it more difficult to do but still did not ban the practice by making it against the rules.

According to the Wyndham facebook page, some owners knew about cancel/rebook but never did it because they thought it was wrong or that they could get in trouble for using and thought others that did it were wrong and should be punished for doing it.