TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

College text books ... cost more and more .... now a fund raising request by college.

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by vacationhopeful, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:26 PM.

1. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    So my undergrad college sends me emails ... fund raisers, endowment suggestions, will planning, homecoming dates, class reunions, etc.

The latest one ... TODAY's daily email ... is a fund raising to fund an endownment to help students pay for college text books.

OK ... don't recall prior years requests for text book help specifically ... but back in the dark ages ... I slopped food at breakfast (6AM report time 5 times a week), worked afternoons in the computer center and SHARED text books with my roommate ... (for 14 books required purchase for 1 class one semester).... but never got no help paying for the books. And sometimes ... just posted bulletin board requests from other students looking to buy or sell a USED BOOK.

mpumilia likes this.
  2. remowidget

remowidget Guest

They should do away with the book industry and go all online. One of the "books" my daughter had to purchase last year was like a ream of paper from the photocopy shop. Textbooks are such a racket.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

3. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OF (Maui)
    WKV x3 (Scottsdale)
    I'm sure the authors of the articles and book excerpts in that ream of photocopied paper are delighted that their work is being used without royalties being paid.

wackymother likes this.
  4. remowidget

remowidget Guest

I don't think it was that kind of book, but don't know for sure.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

5. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

I was floored to discover just recently that kids in High School today now have to buy books for classes...and they rival the costs of some college text books. (and this is even at public schools).

I remember what books cost when I went to college, and can only cringe at what they must cost now 20 years down the road...but high school text books now? Im not sure why I was so surprised...but such is life!

mpumilia likes this.
  6. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club
    Are you sure that wasn't for the kids taking college-credit courses at high schools?

Kurt

7. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

nope...regular high school textbook...kid is just a sophomore too.

8. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    A public school?

mpumilia likes this.
  9. vacationhopeful

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    That is just so WRONG and out of date for available technology today. Kids might need a LENTED laptop loaded with GRADE and CLASS materials with high speed WIFI ... before books can/should be brought by their families.

And those school district's (the owner) of these laptops better have GPS locators inside these machines and software firmware lockout.

10. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

yep, public school

11. wackymother

wackymother TUG Member

Kids in public school in NJ do not have to buy their own textbooks. I think that might be a Florida thing.

12. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

yea, i was pretty stunned to hear it. I had also assumed private school as well...but was not the case.

13. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    How are they accommodating students who cannot afford the textbooks? Are they using F/R program qualifications as a metric to determine potential aid?

14. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

That is certainly not the norm. So you heard it, but not firsthand knowledge?

15. vacationhopeful

Resorts Owned:
    As for a COLLEGE asking for alumni donations for buying college text books ... please. And an endowment to fund books .. a permanent fund ... with all the costs to manage and invest.

Financial aide should cover those costs of books ... as real of a cost as tuition, room and board.

The Student Association could run a 'Resale Book Swap/Sale' for the first week of each term.

School restricted swap site ... your old text books gives you points to 'swap' for your new semester's used books.

Professors could donate their 'promo' copies to the library ... for in library use only.

Perhaps, colleges should have an endowment for buying cars for commuting students as resident students get dorm and cafeteria covered by financial aide packages.

mpumilia likes this.
  16. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

it was a family friend whos child is in high school...so im not sure why shed make it up.

perhaps its only for select classes as mentioned above, or perhaps its just a really affluent school district and everyone can afford to give the kids books...or perhaps there are a certain number of loaner books available to a certain number of students.

I dunno...it just came up in a passing conversation where a nursing student going for her BSN was complaining about how much HER books cost for that semester...and then the mom mentioned a similar complaint about the books for her high school son.

I went to public school, i certainly dont recall having to pay for any books (unless we had damaged them and thus needed replacing). I even remember making book covers for them all with the brown paper grocery bags!

17. vacationhopeful

Resorts Owned:
    First week of school .. brown paper bags, tape and scissors ... homework to keep the books nice.

Timeshare Von and TUGBrian like this.
  18. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVR Falls, GPR Seapointe, HGVC Lagoon, HGVC King's Land.
    and I carried mine under my arm, no backpacks. It was a big incentive to do homework in study hall rather than goof off, less books to carry home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Phydeaux

Phydeaux TUG Member

Scam.

Text books are waaaaaaaaay past their overdue date.

Time for parents of school aged children, or those that will be, to STAND UP, and eliminate them. Can you get up?

Can you say, scam? From educators no less. How hypocritical.

20. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club
    Funny you mention that -- I never used a backpack (or owned one) until college. I always schlepped my books and notebooks back and forth from school under my arm as well.

Kurt

21. mpumilia

mpumilia Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Maybe they should raise their taxes- Tee Hee......:D

22. FLDVCFamily

FLDVCFamily TUG Member

You can rent textbooks nowaways for a fraction of the cost. Also, I've heard that a lot of engineering textbooks are online now. Textbooks are a terrible racket. I remember when I was in college, my professors would frequently be the authors of the book, and of course each year there was a new edition requiring purchase of the new, not used, textbook. That was how the professors made bank of the backs of the poor college student. Sounds like not much has changed.

VegasBella likes this.
  23. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Renting is not much cheaper than buying, and you can at least get some money selling back to the bookstore, or to another student. Most colleges have book exchanges. But that can all be a hassle, too. I agree the frequent updates to textbooks is a racket. I teach at a college, and we keep a textbook edition as long as we can, since the basic facts have not changed. Current event references is what finally makes us do an update. Students have not liked the e-books available.
    I passed along a sample of a textbook from a different publisher that would engage the students at a much lower price. The department had the 'we've always done it this way' attitude, because of course, a new book would mean new lesson plans.
    There is a value to old fashioned reading. It works the brain in ways that make us smarter, delay dementia, etc. But the price for textbooks is ridiculous compared to fiction and non-fiction for the general public.

VegasBella and mpumilia like this.
  24. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, & Pinestead Reef
    I pay between $1000 and $2000 each semester for my son. His major is finance and minor in advertising. I buy the books used. This is such a huge racket

25. Bunk

Bunk TUG Member

Sorry Brian but I'm not sure that makes sense.
    It looks like Florida law requires free textbooks for each student in kindergarten through grade 12 for the subject areas of mathematics, language arts, science, social studies, reading, and literature.

http://www.ecs.org/clearinghouse/01/09/23/10923.pdf

mpumilia likes this.