• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confused/Concerned

Deb9142

Reaction score
I just bought a timeshare on Wednesday with HGVC. My deed is for a property in Orlando. I did 5,000 points EOY and also received 11,800 bonus points.
I've emailed my sales guy with a bunch of questions I've thought of since Wednesday, but haven't gotten a response.
Now I've found this site & am even more confused/concerned.
Is it really practical to think I will be able to make a reservation in the Caribbean in December/January? Or will everything be "unavailable"?
I keep reading about this 1 to 4 rule, but still don't understand it. Can I book through RCI for a trip in December and again in April of the following year? Could I always book through RCI and never actually stay at a HGVC property?
I've also read about buying these same properties on the secondary market. Where do you find what's currently available? I paid $16,000. Could I find something for less then that?
Some of the hotels in the RCI book have blue dots, some don't. Are we restricted to only the ones with the blue dots. Some resorts list that they're All Inclusive. What does this mean for us?
Thanks! I know this is a lot, but I feel overwhelmed!
Look forward to hearing all your answers!

OMC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land
Even though I am not yet an owner (waiting on ROFR) I do know that you should rescind. I have not paid too much attention to the EOY pricing on resale but based on this being an EOY Gold season for 5000 points I expect you could purchase the same for less than $1000 resale. Many others to follow with additional advice.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I won't go into full answers to all of your questions, except to answer the one question you did not ask: YES, YOU NEED TO EXERCISE YOUR RIGHT TO RESCIND IMMEDIATELY. You typically have at least five business days from date of purchase to write, postmark, and mail your rescission letter. Write the letter today, and get it in the mail tomorrow. Furthermore, spend a few extra bucks to actually take the letter to the post office and pay for the letter to be certified, return receipt requested. That way, you will know that the letter was received at HGVC. Your contract will have the proper address and rescission instructions.

Once your account is credited back, look on the TUG marketplace, Redweek, or ask any of us who have made the same mistake you're about to make if you don't rescind. There are many threads on this site that recommend reputable brokers who will guide you through the process of buying resale.

You will be able to buy resale for about 20-40% of what you paid from the developer.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You should look through the paperwork today for the rescind instructions and send in the letter tomorrow.

5000 points every other year in Orlando goes for $2250 on the resale market.

http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/category/listings/hilton/

1 in 4 rule applies to the same resort, but HGVC is exempt from this rule because when we book RCI it uses the interface with the HGVC account. We all use the same account so there is no way they can tell if you already booked there. If you have a separate RCI account they can limit it by the account number.

I don't have an RCI book, so not sure what the blue dot is.

If you only want to stay in RCI resorts you may want to consider a different timeshare that uses RCI for exchanges, there are many with lower annual maintenance fees than HGVC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think Florida has a 10 day right of rescission.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
YOU'LL HAVE ENDLESS OPPORTUNITIES TO BUY FROM THE DEVELOPER BUT ONLY ONE CHANCE TO RESCIND !!

Yes you can get 5,000 points EOY on the resale market for less than $5,000.
Don't let the sales folks rush you into a decision. Take your time and research to determine if timesharing will meet your vacation requirements and if HGVC is the best choice for you.

For example from TUG Member: Seth Nock's Website - http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/
Hilton I-Drive (Tuscany) 2 Bed Even Years Gold Season 5000 points asking price $2,250.00
Hilton I-Drive (Tuscany) 2 Bed Annual Gold Season 5000 points asking price $3,250.00
Hilton I-Drive (Tuscany) 2 Bed Odd Years Gold Season 5000 points asking price $2,250.00

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Rescind immediately...

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'll join the RESCIND chorus. ... You've been hornswoggled.

First, when those bonus points disappear (and they will, fast), you'll left with a TS for which you paid at least 3x too much. And no, buying direct from HGVC does not get you any more perks than buying resale. Zero. None.

There are no HGVC resorts in the Caribbean. Yes, you can hunt for an RCI exchange, and most likely, you'll find an all-inclusive for which the daily food-fee will be close to what you would've paid to stay w/o using your points. For future reference: 1-in-4 refers to an RCI rule that says you cannot exchange into the same resort more than 1x every 4 years. But you'll have so few points, I doubt that would be an issue for you.

"How do you know a TS salesman is lying? -- His lips are moving."

HGVC, apart from the sleazy sales-weasels, is a fairly consumer-friendly, flexible system.
Check out these highly regarded brokers who specialize in HGVC:
www.sellingtimesares.net and www.judikoz.com

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Deb9142 I think you have your answer. You best start the process. The instructions are in the paperwork you received.

Take some time to breathe, learn about HGVC, and buy RESALE.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
And just as an aside the Caribbean is not the easiest of trades to begin with (Aruba and St Martin have the higher number of timeshares and thus the best chance of getting a trade) However Christmas and New years, are near impossible weeks to trade into. You likely have to own at the resort you want to have a chance to obtain a week there, or pay a premium to rent from an owner a holiday week in the Caribbean. Also the Caribbean has a lot of studio and maybe 1 BRs but not a lot of 2 BRs. Since HGVC does not operate any timeshare in the Caribbean trading there is not a possibility.

Just trying to level set expectations about that.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
1 in 4 rule applies to the same resort, but HGVC is exempt from this rule because when we book RCI it uses the interface with the HGVC account. We all use the same account so there is no way they can tell if you already booked there. If you have a separate RCI account they can limit it by the account number.

Are you sure about this? Unless something recently changed RCI's 1 in x rule applies to our individual HGVC account. :ponder:

Here's my understanding.
RCI's 1 in x rule varies by RCI resort. Some restrictions are at a resort level and some are at a group level (only allowing one one exchange within their family of resorts). Some 1 in x rules allow concurrent and/or consecutive reservations.
NOTE: HGVC's 1 in 4 restriction is at a resort level. So folks can exchange into a different HGVC resort ever year. This restriction applies to everyone including HGVC members.

Old threads on this topic
RCI 1 in 4 rule for Members (2011) - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rci-1-in-4-rule-for-members.146504/
RCI 1 in 4 Limitation Info and Other Lessons (2016) - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rci-1-in-4-limitation-info-and-other-lessons.240263/

Deb9142

Reaction score
YOU'LL HAVE ENDLESS OPPORTUNITIES TO BUY FROM THE DEVELOPER BUT ONLY ONE CHANCE TO RESCIND !!

Yes you can get 5,000 points EOY on the resale market for less than $5,000.
Don't let the sales folks rush you into a decision. Take your time and research to determine if timesharing will meet your vacation requirements and if HGVC is the best choice for you.

For example from TUG Member: Seth Nock's Website - http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/
Hilton I-Drive (Tuscany) 2 Bed Even Years Gold Season 5000 points asking price $2,250.00
Hilton I-Drive (Tuscany) 2 Bed Annual Gold Season 5000 points asking price $3,250.00
Hilton I-Drive (Tuscany) 2 Bed Odd Years Gold Season 5000 points asking price $2,250.00
So, just to be clear, with the examples you posted - the deed would be for Tuscany, but that doesn't matter. It's the points that are important. Correct?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So, just to be clear, with the examples you posted - the deed would be for Tuscany, but that doesn't matter. It's the points that are important. Correct?

With one exception, it matters not where you own... "Points are points." The exception: If you want to stay frequently at a hard-to-get location, i.e. Hawaii, NYC or Breckenridge in during Presidents-week, the "home week" booking window is an advantage over the unwashed masses (club members). But even so, space can be found if you book at the start of the club-window (9 months out).

Tuscany? If you mean Orlando... All of Orlando is an easy get. I own at Seaworld, but always book Tuscany instead. If you mean Italy... I've found space during the club-booking window, too.

To be clear: The 1-in 4 rule applies only bookings made thru RCI, not to bookings made within the HGVC system. HGVC will says they will enforce this rule. The rule that HGVC does not enforce is DVC's proximity rule becuz "your" TS is not yours to use, it's held by HGVC.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could I always book through RCI and never actually stay at a HGVC property?
If your interest is trading in RCI and not staying at HGVC, don't buy HGVC. HGVC has really high costs and fees. You can buy any other timeshare that trades in RCI, some cost $1. and use that to trade in RCI.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 in 4 rule applies to the same resort, but HGVC is exempt from this rule because when we book RCI it uses the interface with the HGVC account. We all use the same account so there is no way they can tell if you already booked there. If you have a separate RCI account they can limit it by the account..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you sure about that? I have always been under the impression and understanding that the 1:4 also applied to hgvc owners?

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a big believer in the HGVC system and have been very happy (with one exception involving a sleazy sales agent for HGVC). I even own one that I bought from the developer, where I overpaid but at the time it was the best option available (ski in resort). For what its worth, here is my tip sheet for you to consider:

1) Never, ever, ever buy HGVC (or for that matter, probably applies to most high end TS) with the intent of simply trading it on RCI. I have well over 30K annual points, all of my properties are platinum or fixed high season weeks, but I have never been able to trade through RCI into a comparable quality property anywhere, much less in the Caribbean or Central America despite trying for over 2 years. I finally gave up on our planned Costa Rica trip this summer due to lack of inventory to trade into (both on RCI and II) and switched my son's senior year trip to Hawaii where we own at Bay Club Villas. RCI and II maybe have good trades in the US and Mexico, but that is about all as far as I can tell. And you cannot rely on RCI's "Gold Crown" rating system it is very spotty. I have traded 3 times on RCI (Florida Keys and Hawaii), and been disappointed every time - most properties on RCI simply do not match the quality, size and ameneties you find (and pay for!) at HGVC resorts. You will pay extra $$ to own HGVC, and waste them on a trade to a property that is not as well maintained, in an off-area location, etc. Don't do it, rescind if that is your purpose.

2) Never, ever, buy from the developer in areas that have a high concentration of big hotels and timeshares (that means no to Orlando and Las Vegas for sure). You will never be able to resell them unless you give them away, and renting is extremely hard to impossible due to oversold inventory relative to demand. It is also hard to trade Orlando and Vegas properties.

3) For HGVC, unless you have a very good strategy for using the Gold week, only buy platinum season or fixed weeks in high demand (platinum) weeks such as thanksgiving and christmas weeks. They are more expensive up front, but almost always less expensive per point, and less expensive for maintenance per point. Plus you will be much more likely to be able to actually use these weeks (which is the only scenario where buying a timeshare from a developer can ever make sense financially IMHO), or if you can't use them it will be easier to trade/rent these weeks.

4) Only buy in locations (and unit sizes) that you have frequented and will frequent in the future on a regular basis.

EDIT: Another poster responded that "points are points" which is a common assertion but as you can see from the above I don't believe that is true for most families outside of a couple in a retirement context. It is true that one platinum point and one silver point are equal in HGVC after you get into the open Club Season reservations (9 months in advance). However: (i) buying where you will use ensures that you will always (or usually) be able to make use of the most cost effective use for your TS which is to use your week directly with HGVC; (ii) if you are looking for 2 and 3 bedrooms during high season at a popular location (e.g., President's Day week at a ski resort), it will be difficult or impossible to get those reservations without the 12 month advance home week booking; (iii) cost per point long term is almost always cheaper with platinum weeks because you get more points for the same maintenance fee; (iv) on resale platinum and fixed high season weeks sell more easily so you are less likely to get stuck.

A situation where "points are points" is true, however, is in retirement where you have great flexibility and can choose to go to places off of the high season so the benefit of a 12 month advance reservation is not as great.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Another poster responded that "points are points" which is a common assertion but as you can see from the above I don't believe that is true for most families outside of a couple in a retirement context. It is true that one platinum point and one silver point are equal in HGVC after you get into the open Club Season reservations (9 months in advance). However: (i) buying where you will use ensures that you will always (or usually) be able to make use of the most cost effective use for your TS which is to use your week directly with HGVC;

A situation where "points are points" is true, however, is in retirement where you have great flexibility and can choose to go to places off of the high season so the benefit of a 12 month advance reservation is not as great.

I'll disagree with this and say just the opposite. Because we're not in retirement, we never go anywhere for a week. So a time advantage that requires us to book for a whole week us useless. Now, once we're in retirement and might consider going somewhere for that long, it could come in handy (maybe the New York points, but not the Vegas points as we'd never be able to stay there for a week). But, currently, points are points for us (barring W. 57th)

Cheers.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Deb9142,

Everyone's situation and goals are different. There are lots of opinions on what one should buy or avoid. I suggest that you take the time to research and determine what is best for you and your family.

Lol, now here's another opinion :D

Whatever you decide, don't put all of your future vacation dollars into timesharing.
This will give you the flexibility in the future to choose the best way to visit your desired destinations. There might not be a timeshare at the location that you want to visit or if there is a timeshare it may be very hard to get an exchange. You may also want to visit a destination in an entirely different way via a cruise, hotel/resort stay, special discounted travel package, tour company, beach house rental, etc.

I also don't believe that one should put all of their eggs into one basket.
HGVC doesn't satisfy all of my vacation needs, that's why I own more than just Hilton and why I don't put all of my vacation money into timesharing in general.

Also, don't base your purchase decision simply on the Hilton name or what you might have heard from a Hilton timeshare presentation.
I suggest that you take some time to research before you act on anything you heard from the sales guys. Try to learn as much as you can about Hilton's timeshare system ("reality" vs "fantasy"). Think about where you want to go. Look at the locations offered by Hilton. Also take a look at the RCI Resort directory to see if they offer resorts that meet your needs (in terms of location, quality, amenities, etc) and read the reviews. One size doesn't fit all. You'll have to decide what's best for you and your family.

Here are some links.
TUG Advice Page for HGVC - http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/hilton-grand-vacation-club-timeshare-information.html
HGVC Website - https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com
HGVC Club Rules & Fees - https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/help/resources
HGVC Resorts (includes point requirements for each resort) - http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/explore/ & https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resort
Number of units at each Club resort - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218728
RCI Resort Directory - http://www.rci.com/resort-directory/landing

Here are some posts that you might find helpful
Have you been surprised by HGVC - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...-surprised-by-hgvc.223671/page-2#post-1733451
For anyone that owns more then one time share - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...ne-that-owns-more-then-one-time-share.210627/
RCI How it works - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-set-up-rci-ongoing-search.220554/#post-1702883
RCI POINTS Resort availability - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...or-summer-availability-via-rci-points.199733/

Good Luck and Welcome to TUG :hi:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... Because we're not in retirement, we never go anywhere for a week. So a time advantage that requires us to book for a whole week ["home week" booking] is useless. Now, once we're in retirement and might consider going somewhere for that long, it could come in handy...

I concur. We've stayed for a week at one place before (Jamaica) thru RCI. I can see the appeal of a one-week stay when all you want to do is noodle-around and decompress. But even after retirement (this week), I will have no use for a "home week."

I've never found club bookings to be limiting -- it pays to be flexible either as to place or dates. Currently, we're booked for two 5-days back to back , and a 3-day + 5-day back to back.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of the hotels in the RCI book have blue dots, some don't. Are we restricted to only the ones with the blue dots.
The resorts with blue dots indicate RCI resorts that offer less than a week reservations, for memberships that allow nightly stays. Many RCI memberships are restricted to week-only exchanges.

(I learned this at a recent owner update in another RCI participating system. Sometimes there are nuggets of interesting information at these sessions).