• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confused

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Charles, have you read the Wyndham BBS? I'm not a Wyndham owner, but before you buy Wyndham, I strongly encourage you to read the BBS. The reservations system is a complete mess right now, and the situation does not appear to be improving. You may want to protect yourself, especially if this is your first timeshare purchase.

Charles Thring

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I have been reading about the problems owners are currently having, but I assumed it was a temporary problem caused by a poorly designed site, coupled with a change in protocols. It is difficult to go very deep on many websites unless you are registered as an owner

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Wyndham (shown in your link above) is NOT the same as Worldmark. It is less flexible, comes with multiple fees and, in the case of the specific advertisement in discussion, has a home resort. The home resort will offer benefits of booking the two properties (both in Williamsburg, I think?) but does not offer any benefits for your two target areas: Anaheim, Las Vegas.

Personally, I'd rather rent Wyndham than own it.

Charles Thring

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Shheeeeesh...lol. Worldmark by Wyndham...but you can use RCI......but it's not worldmark....will this newbie thing ever go away? Just when I think I'm starting to get it. So damned convoluted.

I appreciate your patience

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
LOL ... keep asking. I'd like to echo an earlier thought: Try re-reading this entire thread and follow the links to various references. Hopefully it will make better sense after a few re-reads?

Charles Thring

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Ok. I have re-read this thread and followed all the links. It still seems odd to me that I am told that worldmark is better than wyndham, yet much of my research points to "worldmark by wyndham".... are they intrinsically tied, or am I missing something. When I try to find out how to become a worldmark member, most links take me to pages that require me to be an owner before I can view the pages.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. I have re-read this thread and followed all the links. It still seems odd to me that I am told that worldmark is better than wyndham, yet much of my research points to "worldmark by wyndham".... are they intrinsically tied, or am I missing something. When I try to find out how to become a worldmark member, most links take me to pages that require me to be an owner before I can view the pages.
Wyndham acquired Worldmark a few years ago. Because of strong bylaws written originally by Worldmark (Trendwest?), Worldmark remains as one of the best systems out there that are favorable to owners. Wyndham tries hard to move it to the dark side, but so far so good. LOL. Wyndham is this 9000 lb gorilla that is expensive to own (nickle and dime, high maintenance fees...). RCI and Wyndham are part of the same company.

Charles Thring

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
So how does one go about seperating the two? I have tried looking into becoming a worldmark member, but it just keeps taking me in circles.
Is it possible just to assume a worldmark membership from someone who is looking to get out of one? If so, I guess that now I should go into the "patiently" waiting for one to become avaliable.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So how does one go about seperating the two? I have tried looking into becoming a worldmark member, but it just keeps taking me in circles.
Is it possible just to assume a worldmark membership from someone who is looking to get out of one? If so, I guess that now I should go into the "patiently" waiting for one to become avaliable.

You need to go to wmowners.com to read up more about the system. Worldmarktheclub.com gives you all the resorts that fall under worldmark and the credits requirement based on size, season and day of week.

Worldmark costs some money, as I have stated in my earlier post, 30 to 40 cents per point, 40 cents if they come fully loaded, that is with carryover unused points from prior year. You don't "assume" a membership. You buy the contract and then you become a member, which means you own the points, ongoing maintenance and use. Worldmark contracts are never free.

You need to read and take notes. It does not bring you around in circles.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any property listing that references "Worldmark" as part of the subject is likely "Worldmark the Club" vs Wyndham-as-a-product. The listing might say "Worldmark," "Worldmark/Trendwest" (the prior developer) or "Worldmark by Wyndham" -- but should be clear that Worldmark is the offering.

Take a look at the Worldmark Resort Gallery (also linked earlier in this thread) and be sure to differentiate which locations are Worldmark vs Wyndham. They are clearly marked; the Red dots are in-network, native, Worldmark properties.

I've had a great transaction buying Worldmark through RedSeason.com when we bought a resale contract in 2001. I've referred a few folks over the years who also had successful transactions. RedSeason is experienced in the process and 'holds your hand' along the way. eBay also has a steady stream of listings if you are slightly more adventuresome on tracking the process/transaction. When evaluating resale listings, consider:
  • What is the size of the account? (i.e., How many credits are allocated annually?)
  • What is the current point balance on the account? (i.e., How many credits have been banked into the current year and/or available to borrow? Of the current balance, is the listing including the future year's points for borrowing -- or does the current balance truly reflect the current balance?)
  • Is the account fully paid up? (No loan against original purchase; not owing back dues; not owing any back fees?)
  • What is the anniversary month of the account? (Not a big deal -- but buying an account with a soon-approaching anniversary month might sweeten the pot as it will earn its new allotment of credits on the anniversary.)
  • Will the seller pay the account transfer fee? (Usually this fee is paid by the buyer ... but it doesn't hurt to ask. Worldmark's transfer department charges $299 (?) for the account transfer process. If the seller also shows additional escrow/closing costs they are baloney (fabricated) but might be OK if the total package price is still worthwhile.)
  • Be mindful that should a listing claim "Travelshare" -- that component does NOT transfer with resale purchase. You might recognize an ad for Worldmark + Travelshare by looking at the annual dues. If the dues are listed as "monthly" -- this ad implies Travelshare. It could be that the seller doesn't understand the difference. Worldmark dues are paid annually or quarterly if set up with "auto pay."
  • (That is all I got off the top of my head ... for now)

YES -- you can assume the loan on a Worldmark contract that has not yet paid off. I doubt that process will be less expensive than buying a paid-off contract with cash ... but it may lower the initial out-of-pocket expenses if that is a concern.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham acquired Trendwest, the exclusive developer and manager of Worldmark the Club. Worldmark the Club is a separate entity (California Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation) with its own Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, etc.

As for your bolded section, agreed. Perhaps the two documents directly linked in my paragraph above can be accessed w/out owner authentication? What about the Club Guidelines which I linked earlier in this conversation, post 46?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
eBay also has a steady stream of listings if you are slightly more adventuresome on tracking the process/transaction.
Sample of recently completed eBay auction to study/consider: <eBay Auction LINK>

As you break it down, add your notes:
  • Size of account (# of annual credits):
  • Cost per credit? (Add the final bid, the 'closing' costs, the transfer fee, etc)
  • Any loan remaining on the contract?
  • Annual dues based on the ad? Annual dues based on the WM Grid for MF provided earlier in this thread? Do they match?
  • How many points available now? (bank/current year/borrow)
  • Anniversary Month? When does it earn the next pile of credits (points)?
  • Home resort? (Trick Question!)
  • Special considerations in the closing and transfer process?
  • Seller's reputation: what can you determine?
  • Any red flags?

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monday Madness! This week's special is all about Las Vegas and would be a great time, if you already an owner, to "stock up" on Las Vegas reservations up to 11 months out booking on Cash rather than WM Credits.
Worldmark Monday Madness page said:
Introducing this week’s specials…

LuckyYou_Jun19.jpg

Lucky You!

• WorldMark Las Vegas - Boulevard, NV
  • WorldMark Las Vegas - Spencer Street, NV
  • WorldMark Las Vegas - Tropicana Avenue, NV
  • WorldMark Reno, NV
Take a gamble with this week's Monday Madness! You can book a stay at any of WorldMark's Las Vegas or Reno resorts for just $.07 per credit. Jackpot! To take advantage of this special offer book online by Sunday, June 25th.

Book your Monday Madness for only $.07 a credit

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

ohdewer

Reaction score
My family has a few Disney crazies also and we've been to Vegas quite often also. The "perks" of living in California. Take a look at eBay auctions for Wyndham and Worldmark points. You can get some good deals! The Wyndham Grand Desert is Vegas is also a really nice place to stay and it has free transportation to the strip! In Anaheim at the Worldmark/Wyndham, we simply walk to the Disney parking lot about 3 blocks away and jump on that bus to the park.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
hmmm.... still shows me as a guest?
It shows you as an official TUG member now, Charles. Congratulations! It's still a few weeks before you receive your knighthood from TUGBrian but, in the meantime, welcome aboard!

Charles Thring

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Lol....do I get an official name like "forever newbie" or something like that?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Charles Thring

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I have noticed a great disparity in maintenance costs for the same location. For instance, $450 to $1200 for the same size unit at similar times. The reason? Slick salesperson?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a great disparity in maintenance costs for the same location. For instance, $450 to $1200 for the same size unit at similar times. The reason? Slick salesperson?
The salesperson has nothing to do with the MFs. For a place like Dolphin's Cove, it would be easy to have different MFs because there are so many different types of ownerships. There are old contracts that are straight weeks from the resort, Wyndham weeks/points and Worldmark points. All of those will be different.

On top of that, people listing their timeshare for sale may only list the actual MF. Others will include the reserves and the property tax. You will in fact pay the MF + reserves + property tax every year. The exception is if you buy Worldmark points in that case you just pay a bundled MF based on how many points you own.