• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Couldn't Deduct ARDA Fee When Trying to Pay Online

somerville

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went online to DRI's payment system to pay my Beach Quarters maintenance fees today. I tried changing the amount due to delete the so called ARDA-ROC "Voluntary" Contribution. The system would not let me change the amount due. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

FYI, I do not believe that ARDA-ROC truly represents timeshare owners. It has been my observation that their lobbying activity is supportive of timeshare owners only when the timeshare owners interests are aligned with those of developers.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
My MF for a 2BR at Oceanaire shows up as $1047.01. Included in that fee is $7 ARDA fee. I paid $1040.01 and called DRI to remove the $7 fee. They told me it would take up to 21 days for the request to get processed.

In contrast Marriott lists the ARDA fee as a separate line item in their online system, showing it clearly as optional, and it is not confusing like it is with DRI's online billing.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I went online to DRI's payment system to pay my Beach Quarters maintenance fees today. I tried changing the amount due to delete the so called ARDA-ROC "Voluntary" Contribution. The system would not let me change the amount due. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

FYI, I do not believe that ARDA-ROC truly represents timeshare owners. It has been my observation that their lobbying activity is supportive of timeshare owners only when the timeshare owners interests are aligned with those of developers.

I finally called and was told I had to call in to have the $7 returned. So I just made the payment, less $7, while I was on the phone asking the question.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I paid online and paid $7 less than what was due. It took about 2 days for the balance due to go from $7 to $0, and I didn't contact anyone to fix it.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> In contrast Marriott lists the ARDA fee as a separate line item in their online system, showing it clearly as optional...<snip>

...just as it should be on any and every maintenance fees bill, whether it's a "chain" or independent timeshare.

It's just plain wrong to in any way make it difficult to "opt out" of making this completely voluntary (and in my opinion, useless and gratuitous) "contribution".
Yes, it's short money, but it's the principle involved. Voluntary means optional.

somerville

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid online and paid $7 less than what was due. It took about 2 days for the balance due to go from $7 to $0, and I didn't contact anyone to fix it.
I tried paying $7 less online, but the system would not let me change the amount being paid.

somerville

TUG Member
Reaction score
I finally called and was told I had to call in to have the $7 returned. So I just made the payment, less $7, while I was on the phone asking the question.
I called in my payment, less the $7 fee. After I got the payment confirmation e-mail, I replied back that they needed to adjust my balance to remove the "voluntary" contribution. I checked back this afternoon, and my account now shows a credit for the $7.00. However, they have not yet posted my telephone payment of the remaining amount to my account.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
funny how the voluntary contribution is charged by default aye?

I brought this issue up in a meeting once at an ARDA conference in relation to why ARDA couldnt spend a few cents of that (then $5) yearly contribution to send out a proactive warning to owners against upfront fee resale scammers.

however as with most questions to arda on this subject, since they still have many upfront fee resale companies as members...it fell on deaf ears.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I own at Mystic Dunes, but never converted to Diamond points or anything. I had no trouble reducing the amount I paid online at DiamondResorts.com earlier this month. I do find the constant hefty increases since Diamond took over more than annoying, but since I have a 3-br lockoff week 52, I keep holding onto it for family trips. Not sure how many more increases I can stand, though.

Sheila

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called DRI right after I paid my MF online, spoke to financial services rep and she took it off right away.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score

MIND BOGGLING that Developers like Diamond "invite" their customers to support the American Resort Development Association, an organization whose primary mission is to support timeshare developers/development.

What's that saying, "if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it must be a duck"?

Here's a list of ARDA's leadership:

http://www.arda.org/who-we-are/whoweare/boardofdirectors/overview.aspx

ARDA's Past Chairman, Franz Hanning, presided over Wyndham Vacation Ownership during this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/b...stle-blowers-20-million-vindication.html?_r=0

And another ARDA Board Member, Robert J. Webb of the law firm, Baker and Hosteller, LLP, is allegedly actively engaged in representing Diamond Resorts International. Mr. Webb and Diamond's relationship come up here:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/Diamond-Resorts-Lawsuit/Diamond Resort Complaint I.pdf

What's that saying, something about the fox minding the chicken coop?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would have no problem with the ARDA-ROC, IF I could somehow be a member of it and it was controlled by people completely apart from the ARDA. While ROC stands for Resort Owners Coalition, they don't always support everything that is in the best interests of owners.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would have no problem with the ARDA-ROC, IF I could somehow be a member of it and it was controlled by people completely apart from the ARDA. While ROC stands for Resort Owners Coalition, they don't always support everything that is in the best interests of owners.

The ARDA-ROC as a subsidiary of ARDA sounds akin to me, of the CEO of Weight Watchers reporting to the Board of Directors of McDonalds.

I agree with you if the ARDA-ROC were completely clean of ARDA and ARDA's Board of Directors, I'd think about it, but they aren't, and it would appear that several members of ARDA's Board of Directors have direct tentacles to the timeshare industry's most suspect players and consumer practices.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ive still yet to see an example where arda/arda-roc has championed a cause that pitted owners against developers.

fnewman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
I always just pay the bills short by $7.00 (usually online) and never had a problem. They know why and eventually make the adjustment.