• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Depositing a RCI Points TS with II?

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
A couple of years ago, I tried to deposit my Sand Castle Cove New Bern, NC timeshare that is enrolled in RCI Points program with Interval International but the unit wasn't released. It didn't matter that much to me so I didn't follow up and try to get it released. Now I am thinking about doing it again and was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and was able to get a TS enrolled in RCI points deposited with II. To further complicate matters, Sand Castle Cove is affiliated with Wyndham and managed by VRI.
I had reserved this week ahead of time so it would not be automatically put it into points for that year. Any comments/suggestions?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If a timeshare is not affiliated with II, it can't be deposited with II. Most timeshares are affiliated with II or RCI, but not both.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
If a timeshare is not affiliated with II, it can't be deposited with II. Most timeshares are affiliated with II or RCI, but not both.
Thanks Denise but II has their own code for the resort so I would think they do receive deposits.
Sandcastle Cove
New Bern ,NC
CVE

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There are 2 main types of RCI points. One where the resort controls your home week reservation and you call to reserve your home week prior to 13 months. The resort takes care of that and then nothing is auto deposited with RCI. If this is your resort you may have a chance at depositing in II although you would have to have a II account and have it added (an extra $39 or extension of membership if not already added to your II account). You may or may not have luck letting the resort verify the II deposit.

The second type turns all RCI points members over to RCI to manage reservations including home week reservations for points members. I don't think you would be able to get that week verified for deposit with II.

There are a few resorts who retain even more control of points weeks and auto reserve the deeded week and only release the week to rci points if the owner specifically calls and releases the reservation. Very few resorts manage points this way but if yours does you have the best shot with depositing with II- again if set up in your II account.

You have to pay for the RCI membership whether you use points or your home week. I own at Island Links with RCI points and I was unable to get it verified to even add to my II account so I assumed an actual deposit would be unsuccessful even though the resort manages the home week reservations until 13-12 months prior.

If your resort is managed by VRI, I would contact them to see if you are able to reserve a home week prior to it auto depositing in RCI and then deposit that week in II on a year to year basis.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Most of the weeks I own are dual affiliated with II and RCI.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the weeks I own are dual affiliated with II and RCI.

No actual numbers provided there, but I suspect that your "most" may be something of a statistical anomaly.
How many weeks at how many different resorts comprise the "most" in your above observation?

We don't exchange at all anymore, but resort / BOD experience tells me that "dual affiliation" is regarded as something of a burden at the resort level. Moreover, RCI will allow itself to be affiliated with virtually any place still standing upright. II seems to have higher standards for resort affiliation.
In any event, "dual affiliation" certainly seems statistically to be the exception rather than the rule in the overall numerical scheme of things. :shrug:

Last edited:

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
As anecdotal evidence, of the five timeshares I own or have owned, four have affiliations with both II & RCI. I think that older resorts that have an independent Board of Directors are more sensitive to the interests of the owners than newer resorts that still have ties to the developer.
I am liking RCI less and less, if it wasn't for the great last minute exchanges for less than 10,000 RCI points, I wouldn't stay with them.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The thing that I have been noticing is that those 10,000 offers are often on extra Vacations on sale for around $250 often before it gets to the timeframe when offered for 10,000 so it only saves about $20 using the points and the RCI points membership fee is $20-$30 more than an RCI weeks membership annually. I usually can use leftover tpu's in the 5-8 range for the same exchanges as the 10,000 weeks. I have a points account but I use it for points inventory in older more reasonable beach resorts or NYC inventory.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
The thing that I have been noticing is that those 10,000 offers are often on extra Vacations on sale for around $250 often before it gets to the timeframe when offered for 10,000 so it only saves about $20 using the points and the RCI points membership fee is $20-$30 more than an RCI weeks membership annually. I usually can use leftover tpu's in the 5-8 range for the same exchanges as the 10,000 weeks. I have a points account but I use it for points inventory in older more reasonable beach resorts or NYC inventory.

What I do like about RCI original points is that I can easily go to Hilton Head Island during the shoulder season for 6500-7500 points ($65-$75) plus a $230 exchange fee. So for around $300 we get a great week and the weather is usually very nice during this March-May and Oct-Nov time frame. However HHI hardly ever gets listed during this time in Last Calls and I would think not too often during TPU sales, although I'm not familiar with using TPU's. An additional benefit is with an exchange, there is no sales tax but Last Calls there is and it can be as much as $25.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
No actual numbers provided there, but I suspect that your "most" may be something of a statistical anomaly.
How many weeks at how many different resorts comprise the "most" in your above observation?

We don't exchange at all anymore, but resort / BOD experience tells me that "dual affiliation" is regarded as something of a burden at the resort level. Moreover, RCI will allow itself to be affiliated with virtually any place still standing upright. II seems to have higher standards for resort affiliation.
In any event, "dual affiliation" certainly seems statistically to be the exception rather than the rule in the overall numerical scheme of things. :shrug:

As anecdotal evidence, of the five timeshares I own or have owned, four have affiliations with both II & RCI. I think that older resorts that have an independent Board of Directors are more sensitive to the interests of the owners than newer resorts that still have ties to the developer.
I am liking RCI less and less, if it wasn't for the great last minute exchanges for less than 10,000 RCI points, I wouldn't stay with them.

Six of the resorts I have are dual affiliated, all have an independent board of directors.

One resort is only affiliated with II.

Two are only affiliated with RCI. One of the two is a HGVC week, the other has an independent board of directors who currently are pursuing dual affiliation.