• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney Aulani replacing free Starlit Hui show with a Luau.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Probably old news to some....

I discovered today that Disney Aulani's free Starlit Hui show will be replaced with a Luau

From https://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/activities/luau/

Beginning November 2016, join us for an unforgettable evening of family entertainment as only Disney can offer.

Make your way to the Hālāwai Lawn, where the festivities begin at 5:00 PM with seating and pre-show activities. Then get ready for a full evening of exhilarating song, dance and storytelling as you enjoy a lavish Hawaiian feast.

Highlights include:

Pre-show activities, which may include traditional arts such as kapa printing, flower arranging and temporary kakau tattoos or pa‘i ai taro pounding.
Lū‘au introduction and oli (chant) welcome.
Buffet dining, including a carving station with suckling pig and prime rib, fresh local seafood, authentic island fare and enticing Asian specialties plus family-friendly offerings, kids' selections and a decadent dessert bar.
Lū‘au performance—an enchanting, often breathtaking production that brings the legends and lore of ancient Hawai'i to life.

RESERVATION INFORMATION AND PRICING

KA WA‘A Lū‘au is currently available only to Guests of Aulani Resort. For advance reservations, call (808) 674-6850 between 12:00 PM and 8:00 PM HST.

When you reserve, you will need to provide your room reservation number and indicate your choice of seating package:

VIP Seating – $159 Adults/$109 Keiki (ages 3 through 9). There is no charge for keiki under 3.
General Admission – $119 Adults/$79 Keiki (ages 3 through 9). There is no charge for keiki under 3.

Prices include gratuities. Tax additional.

VIP Guests receive early check-in, priority up-front seating, complimentary alcoholic beverages and an enhanced welcome lei.

Please note: To complete payment and booking, you must visit the KA WA‘A Lūʻau Desk—open from 12:00 Noon to 8:00 PM daily—in the main lobby upon arrival at Aulani.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The mouse has to make $$$. But it's a shame a free event now costs major bucks for a family. Well at least dinner is included.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Hmm. Having stayed at Aulani 3 different trips on my DVC points, and #4 is booked for next year, I have to wonder if the guest/member demand for wanting to attend an actual luau has not played a large part of this decision. Almost every guest/member I've ever spoken to that was headed to Aulani wanted to know where they could attend a luau, particularly if it is a first trip to Hawaii. My understanding is that Aulani draws a great many first timers.

Only the Mouse likely knows for sure, but I daresay demand drove this decision as much as anything. It will be fun to see how their luau compares with Old Lahaina Luau on Maui.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Oh, and that price is pretty much in line with the luau I have attended. They (luau) aren't cheap.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The price is good for a luau, yes, but Polynesian Cultural Center is going to have some competition they won't welcome. A lot of my family loves the luau there.

Apparently, they will welcome the public for this too. It's a chance for others to see Aulani and possibly buy, so interesting decision.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Oh, and that price is pretty much in line with the luau I have attended. They (luau) aren't cheap.

Paradise Cove is only $89 for an adult. Not sure how much bite the new Aulani show will take away from its neighbor.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I think Disney discovered their missed opportunity to make more money. Lol, leave no stone unturned ;)

Ko Olina already offers two other luaus - Paradise Code and Fia Fia. And as stated above there is a great evening show at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Marriott's Fia Fia show has Chief Sielu who used to perform at the Polynesian Cultural Center for years (lol, I saw him there 15 years ago).
Fia Fia gets great reviews - https://www.yelp.com/biz/fia-fia-luau-ko-olina-kapolei

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that myself yesterday also.

I'm going to Aulani today and wanted to look up what days during my stay there would be a Starlit Hui show, and discovered that none were scheduled. Then I saw the notice of the luau starting in November.

3 trips to Aulani, and never got to see the show.
1st trip, shows were cancelled due to construction of infinity pool.
2nd trip show cancelled due to wet grounds (from rain showers earlier in the day).
3rd trip, and show cancelled (I suppose to construct whatever they need for the luau.)

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The price is good for a luau, yes, but Polynesian Cultural Center is going to have some competition they won't welcome. A lot of my family loves the luau there.

Apparently, they will welcome the public for this too. It's a chance for others to see Aulani and possibly buy, so interesting decision.

"KA WA‘A Lū‘au is currently available only to Guests of Aulani Resort."

They sure did leave it open to inviting non-guests in the future...

blondietink

Reaction score
I sure wouldn't want to be on the lawn side of the resort with a villa with the luau going on. It was bad enough when we were there for the Starlit Hui and the special events they had going on for a golf tournament. It was very loud in our villa and we could not relax and enjoy the evenings out on the lanai. We will not be paying to see their luau. The mouse is way too greedy.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually the KA WA'A Luau will be open to non-Aulani guests except for some holiday dates. Four hours of self-parking fees will be included for non-resort guests. :)

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Paradise Cove is only $89 for an adult. Not sure how much bite the new Aulani show will take away from its neighbor.

And the Paradise Cove luau is just a great experience, especially for families.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just went to the luau Disappointing.

The show from 7:15 to 8:15 was really very good BUT the 2 1/4 hours before the show was disappointing. The cost was $120 / person

They ask you to check-in at the show location between 4;30 and 5;15 BUT only the VIP can go in at that time everyone else must stand on a narrow hot trail and wait till 5:20 before the slowly start to let you in. You get one drink then nothing ( no food or drinks) till after 6 when they slowly started the buffet.

The food was marginal and 3/4 thru the food service the band took a 15 minute break. Micky and Minnie made a 5 minute appearance while the staff taught the kids the Hula.

So we arrived at 5pm but the true show didn’t start till 7:15 Spent just under $500 for 4 adults and a baby Disappointing!

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow Bill, that is a very disappointing report. :( Having seen the former Starlit Hui I am very surprised as I thought that show was exceptionally well done. Had you seen that? And if so, was the hula/music/storyline much the same? I don't know why they would want to rewrite a truly lovely show with wonderful hula.

I know they just started this show, so I am hoping that it was because you were at one of the very first shows? Whatever the case, I certainly hope they will get the issues addressed very quickly. There's no reason to not have it be a really great offering. Mahalo for reporting back on your experience. :hi: I do hope you gave this input either to the appropriate cast and/or wrote it on a survey.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Wow Bill, that is a very disappointing report. :( Having seen the former Starlit Hui I am very surprised as I thought that show was exceptionally well done. Had you seen that? And if so, was the hula/music/storyline much the same? I don't know why they would want to rewrite a truly lovely show with wonderful hula.

I know they just started this show, so I am hoping that it was because you were at one of the very first shows? Whatever the case, I certainly hope they will get the issues addressed very quickly. There's no reason to not have it be a really great offering. Mahalo for reporting back on your experience. :hi: I do hope you gave this input either to the appropriate cast and/or wrote it on a survey.
Again the show itself was very good.

The whole 2 1/2 hour "luau buffet" before the show was what was disappointing. They also gave us only one drink each and all other drinks ( both adult and kids) were extra. Hey If they had charged $70/person I might understand but at $120/person free non alcoholic drinks should have been included. Snacks before the buffet would have helped as there were lots of kids and waiting 45 minutes after being seated for food is just too long for kids.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the extra details, Bill. I'm just sorry your experience was so lackluster and I'm disappointed and a bit surprised to hear it. I have NEVER heard of a luau that limits you to one drink. Not at the price of the higher end, notable luau I've attended anyway like OLL & Feast at Lele. And to have people wait in line so long just seems ridiculous. Sure hope they get their act together. Thanks again for giving a report. :)