• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Divi update question

aanderson81

Reaction score
I've recently taken over a contact for Divi resorts. It's good for 1 week from week 21-40 at any of their resorts. There aren't points or anything. I actually just got to the resort for my first visit and they are trying to get me to do an "update presentation". I assume this is going to try to convert me to their new points based program. I was wondering what the honest feedback between these programs are? Is there an advantage to the new program? I am obviously skeptical to the new program given the effort to convert.

I am new to timeshares so I apologise if I don't have the details 100% correct in what I've said above.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We'e owned a Divi week for many years, although ours is a fixed week in St. Maarten. We have been successful at trading within the Divi system for other weeks and locations and upgrading unit size without needing to have points, although there are fees.

On our last visit in March, Divi was unusually aggressive in trying to get us to schedule an owners' update, because of their new effort to sell yet another points system, but we evaded the dreaded appointment. Several years ago when the RCI Points system was created, they also tried hard to sell upgrades to that system, which we also declined, We view the new one as yet another way for them to take money from our pocket! I've also read from others who sat through the owners' update in SXM that the sales staff was very aggressive and rude in their selling style, which was not the case with the earlier sale people we'd met doing updates.

Since you've just bought, it seems like you might want to try using the contract you've got before putting out more money for a new point system. If it turns out you can't make the current contract work for what you want, then you could look at paying more for points...but try it out first.

My tip is to make sure you find out the exact first date you can make the trade or transaction you want, and call the NC office that day to book your week. It means planning ahead and spending a little time on hold, but it helps ensure you get to book.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I should add that I don't know the details of the new program, so I can't comment on its features. From what I read from others, it was an effort to move people away from fixed weeks into something more flexible in terms of timing and length of stay. And I think they were claiming that points people would get some priority...but that doesn't become an issue unless enough people convert to points that you can't get what you want. And from our past experience, that seems unlikely.

I wasn't willing to give up a couple of hours of my vacation time to sit through their presentation to learn any more. Also, we got a call recently where some company was trying to schedule an update meeting in our home city, so the costs must be pretty pricy to make that worth Divi's effort.

aanderson81

Reaction score
I intend to use what I have for sure. The current contract seems to fit us well. I was just a bit surprised to have the update meeting pressed as we currently have a contract and figured I would ask what it's about and if it really offers significat value. But it sounds like probably not at this time for us.

aanderson81

Reaction score
Ok. Apparently I misunderstood what the meeting was about. They were not trying to convert the contract but rather sell us a second timeshare. Of which we respectfully declined