• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do any Marriott "MegaRenters" exist?

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is indeed interesting. Never would have known or guessed that tidbit of information.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those that have reached out to me. I will return all the messages and calls today. Thanks again.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
One nice side perk in mega renting Marriott units is the mr points. 100 legacy week units at $1,567 per year using the SPG Amex is 940,000 Marriott Reward Points. That equates to 480,000 Delta or AA miles and 20 nights in a Cat 5.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
One nice side perk in mega renting Marriott units is the mr points. 100 legacy week units at $1,567 per year using the SPG Amex is 940,000 Marriott Reward Points. That equates to 480,000 Delta or AA miles and 20 nights in a Cat 5.

That sounds like some very nice travel for free. (Assuming you break even or profit on your mega renting actinvites)

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I want to met the guy that has 100 marriott weeks! The most marriotts owned weeks i have seen is 52 weeks. These are mostly owners at grand residence. Imagine having to pay the maintenance fee. That would scare me every December.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to met the guy that has 100 weeks!

Me too!

That actually sounds fun. Without even using a single week you can get free hotel nights and flights via rewards. (Plus some renters won't be MR members and you'd get those credits too).

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Me too!

That actually sounds fun. Without even using a single week you can get free hotel nights and flights via rewards. (Plus some renters won't be MR members and you'd get those credits too).
I would just hate to try and find renters for those 100 weeks.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would just hate to try and find renters for those 100 weeks.

I've been a part time ticket broker for years. I always love to "flip/sell" stuff or find "buyers."

100 is nothing.

1000 might be a bit much for one person to handle however.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to met the guy that has 100 weeks! The most i have seen is 52 weeks. These are mostly owners at grand residence. Imagine having to pay the maintenance fee. That would scare me every December.

I have about 54 weeks with 7 of them non-Marriott but I only rent to fill the gaps. I prefer to resell but I am stuck with a massive maintenance fee at year end in between deals. Almost all of my weeks can be rented at break-even or better if needed so it really is only a cash management issue rather than a big liability.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have about 54 weeks with 7 of them non-Marriott but I only rent to fill the gaps. I prefer to resell but I am stuck with a massive maintenance fee at year end in between deals. Almost all of my weeks can be rented at break-even or better if needed so it really is only a cash management issue rather than a big liability.

I'm jealous of your ownership portfolio. Congrats!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry meant 52 weeks owned with marriott. Edited my original post.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

SnowDogDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year I met a retired couple sitting in the hot tub at the Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge. Seems like the wife told me they owned something like 30+ weeks but they used almost of those weeks themselves either through trades or booking at the home resort. They were spending a few weeks in Breckenridge and then going on to Vail and then on to Palm Springs. They had purchased most of their weeks on the resale market and did not own or convert to points. They spent about half of their year traveling.

I know a few owners at the Grand Residence Club in Tahoe that own between 26 weeks and 52 weeks, depending on how many fractions. Some convert to points, but others that either rent or occupy.

There are a few people out there that broker points for others, but I'm not sure there is anyone that has "millions" of DC points at their disposal.

SnowDogDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this is on Redweek. It mentions the owners association. So I don't know if that means the resort HOA has taken it upon themselves to try to enforce the "no commercial renting" clause.
I had heard rumor of this. I'm not sure if it truly went out to *one* owner or a lot of owners. The Marriott DC contract is a bit vague when it comes to what "commercial" activity. Is it one owner renting their unused weeks or points? Or someone managing millions of points and hundreds of weeks at a single resort? The DC contract allows points owners to transfer their points, but is fuzzy on what commercial activity is and where the threshold is.

The Grand Residence Club at Tahoe allows us to rent our weeks either through Marriott, a 3rd party, or directly if we prefer. (Renting direct through something like VRBO is something akin to work.)

My first thought was that it was one annoying owner that the local Association was irritated with. I have always figured that owners that rent their weeks or that rent their points are such a tiny, tiny share of Marriott's occupancy that it would not even come on their radar. And, it would certainly be good in that it brings more non-owners on to the property.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you knew what they all were you would not be jealous ;)

Lol maybe not. But my imagination is wandering and the portfolio looks great form here!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last year I met a retired couple sitting in the hot tub at the Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge. Seems like the wife told me they owned something like 30+ weeks but they used almost of those weeks themselves either through trades or booking at the home resort. They were spending a few weeks in Breckenridge and then going on to Vail and then on to Palm Springs. They had purchased most of their weeks on the resale market and did not own or convert to points. They spent about half of their year traveling.

I know a few owners at the Grand Residence Club in Tahoe that own between 26 weeks and 52 weeks, depending on how many fractions. Some convert to points, but others that either rent or occupy.

There are a few people out there that broker points for others, but I'm not sure there is anyone that has "millions" of DC points at their disposal.
So how is it living on the mainland us now?

I really doubt there is more than one or two people with 52 mvc weeks that have non fractional ownership. The maintenance fee is atrocious and if you have that kind of money you would probably just buy your own vacation home.

Been using your weeks lately at grand residence? I have been using tim to rent out about 10 of the prime ski and summer weeks and have been trading the rest woth II. Then prices of grand residence fractionals have certainly shot up with marriott using rofr pretty aggressively. I wanted to find a 1br in quarter 1 and 2. But with higher prices it isn't very attractive.

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
Slinger,

What do you hope to learn?