• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Don't drown on vacation

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Someone could be drowning and not die. Someone who has drowned would be dead.

taffy19

Reaction score
I had a close call once in HI many years ago. We saw a tour boat and it didn't look far so I decided to swim towards it because I assumed that snorkeling was much better there. We didn't see much where we were close to the shore. I don't even remember what beach it was but near Wailea or Peruse Bay.

When I swam back, I drifted further away and closer to the rocks and I got so panicked. I was lucky that a kayaker came by and I asked him for help. He came over and got me back to the beach. He had offered to bring my husband back too but he refused. He struggled so much and when he finally came out of the water, he collapsed.

My brother drowned and they didn't find him for ten days.

PS. My brother drowned many years ago and now I have a much higher regard for the ocean.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
OK, that makes sense. Kind of like someone was dying from some disease and makes an unexpected recovery. You can be "dying" and then actually recover. But how can there possibly be accurate statistics on people who are "drowning" but do not die?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We once saw a lifeguard try to convince a foreign tourist not to boogie board at Sandy Beach. We walked a little way down the beach and back, maybe 10 minutes. When we got back we saw the man laid out on the beach. The lifeguards were trying to help him. EMS was on its way. The man had broken his neck.

We were on the North Shore of Oahu in April with our Daughter, Son-in-Law and Teenage Grandchildren. Both Grandchildren swim really well; the oldest was on a swim teem for 3 years. This was their first trip to Hawaii so I thought they would want to go in the big waves water. (They had already experienced the little waves in Waikiki) The waves were pretty big that day and breaking right near the beach. There were caution signs up but there were plenty of people in the water although not surfing. The Grandchildren were very cautious at the water's edge and hesitated to go in. After a few minutes the Life Guard came over and told us that they shouldn't go in. He noticed how hesitant the children were and said that the surf today was not to be played with. I love when the Grandchildren are smarter than Grand Mommy and Papa.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We were on the North Shore of Oahu in April with our Daughter, Son-in-Law and Teenage Grandchildren. Both Grandchildren swim really well; the oldest was on a swim teem for 3 years. This was their first trip to Hawaii so I thought they would want to go in the big waves water. (They had already experienced the little waves in Waikiki) The waves were pretty big that day and breaking right near the beach. There were caution signs up but there were plenty of people in the water although not surfing. The Grandchildren were very cautious at the water's edge and hesitated to go in. After a few minutes the Life Guard came over and told us that they shouldn't go in. He noticed how hesitant the children were and said that the surf today was not to be played with. I love when the Grandchildren are smarter than Grand Mommy and Papa.
Its a bit counter intuitive, but "shorebreak" as you describe it, is likely the most deadly type of wave. People are often scared to go "outside" to the big waves, but these inshore waves don't seem as scary to people. Problem is they are very powerful and can knock you down and pull you under and out quickly. As opposed to waves in deeper water, even smaller shorebreak can slam you to the ground knocking you unconscious. This is what happens at divorce beach in Cabo.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Its a bit counter intuitive, but "shorebreak" as you describe it, is likely the most deadly type of wave. People are often scared to go "outside" to the big waves, but these inshore waves don't seem as scary to people. Problem is they are very powerful and can knock you down and pull you under and out quickly. As opposed to waves in deeper water, even smaller shorebreak can slam you to the ground knocking you unconscious. This is what happens at divorce beach in Cabo.
My sister and wife got knocked down at Haena Beach Park several years ago when a wave came in fast and further than all the other waves.. They laughed about it, but were fortunate that they didn't get pulled out. They didn't follow the rule "never turn your back to the ocean".

Feb%2013%2C%20Elaine%20and%20Jo%20at%20Ha%27ena%20Beach-M.jpg
Feb%2013%2C%20Elaine%20and%20Jo%20get%20wet-M.jpg

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I have found that when snorkeling for more than an hour in the Hawaiian waters, I get chilled. I use a shorty wet suit even during the fall hot times. I have never regretted it. It helps retain core body temperature and offers buoyancy for times when I want to relax. I use a blowup vest when I snorkel far out at the points. They do seem geeky, but are a smart choice.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I know the WHO says this, they were cited earlier in this thread. But it is not widely accepted, at least not yet. It is not even in the dictionaries I looked at and it goes counter to long established definitions. That is all I am saying.

The primary reason the WHO decided to change their definition was precisely to help make it more widely accepted. When we use different terminology to talk about the same cause of harm merely because they have different outcomes, we distract from prevention of harm.

No, it's like poison. Humans can can survive food poisoning or die from food poisoning. Either way they have been poisoned.
Humans can survive drowning or die from drowning. Either way they have drowned.

The verb of what happened to them is defined by the experience, not by the final outcome. The fact that many people can now survive harmful experiences - with the assistance of medical intervention - does not undo the harmful experience.

Example: two boys drowned in a local water park, one in the Summer of 2016, one in the Summer of 2017. The incidents were very similar - the wave pool at the same water park. Both were not properly supervised by the adults with them; neither wore a life jacket. Both were pulled out of the water by lifeguards and given CPR and rushed to the hospital. The first boy survived with extreme brain damage. The second boy did not survive. They BOTH drowned.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Unless they are revived in which case they would no longer be dead ...