• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ebay selling a VIP Platinum Account?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I wonder if the platinum account(s) that are being sold as resale would be able to be resold in the future as Platinum - legitimately?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the platinum account(s) that are being sold as resale would be able to be resold in the future as Platinum - legitimately?
There is just the one right now. You could buy it and then sell it and then you would know

Better yet you could give it to me and then we would both know

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you purchased points for a VIP ownership directly from a Wyndham sales weasel or inherited a VIP ownership from a parent Wyndham will cancel the VIP part of the ownership unless it slips through the cracks. If it slips through the crack that doesn't mean they won't eventually catch it later. If they do catch it later can Wyndham go after someone for fraud?

itsjai

Reaction score
Many years back I had bought points in resale and was given platinum status. Then one day they said that it was a mistake and resale points dont qualify for any status. Even then it was OK as I could transfer out the points if I wasn't using them.

Then they nailed the coffin and said that I could not transfer points either. Then I really got taken to the cleaners. I had bought points thinking in the year I dont use I will rent them but alas the plan failed miserably

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is just the one right now. You could buy it and then sell it and then you would know

Better yet you could give it to me and then we would both know
Great idea Ron!
I'll buy it, hopefully for a discount, and then I'll sell it to you for $35k and we will both know. I'll even throw in dinner if you don't get it as Platinum???
I ask as I can definitely and legitimately get someone a Platinum account for $35-40k but I don't think it would survive as Platinum when someday they resold it (other than to a family member).

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Many years back I had bought points in resale and was given platinum status. Then one day they said that it was a mistake and resale points dont qualify for any status. Even then it was OK as I could transfer out the points if I wasn't using them.

Then they nailed the coffin and said that I could not transfer points either. Then I really got taken to the cleaners. I had bought points thinking in the year I dont use I will rent them but alas the plan failed miserably
Was the "one day" part of the infamous "audit" or before.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you purchased points for a VIP ownership directly from a Wyndham sales weasel or inherited a VIP ownership from a parent Wyndham will cancel the VIP part of the ownership unless it slips through the cracks. If it slips through the crack that doesn't mean they won't eventually catch it later. If they do catch it later can Wyndham go after someone for fraud?

my first Wyndham purchase was on eBay and it made me a silver VIP
I spent the next several years trying to duplicate that "mistake" and ended up with 5 platinum accounts.(2 of which required a small purchase; 3 did not) and that first VIP mistake was never reversed

I'm confident that there are contracts that transfer with VIP eligibility intact and that the eBay sale in question is the real deal. But it's gonna take $30000 and a leap of faith to find out

JT1989

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Silverleaf
Wyndham
Ron, how does someone get more than one account? My understanding is that Wyndham restricts owners to one account each? (unless someone holds it in separate corporate names?)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, how does someone get more than one account? My understanding is that Wyndham restricts owners to one account each? (unless someone holds it in separate corporate names?)

Two of my accounts were in the name of an LLC, two were in my name and one was my wife and I

As to how that happened. There used to be a limit to the number of contracts in one account. So when I hit that limit the transfer dept opened a new member number

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The key word here is 'Legitimately.' You can't 'legitimately' sell a 'VIP' account therefor it can't 'legitimately' be sold as one. All it will take is an audit and or an algorithm to ferret out illegitimate VIP accounts. Long term account suspensions during an audit and possibility cost you $$$$ if found to be illegitimate VIP accounts. If you do it put it in an LLC and be willing to walk away if audited. Unless you can get one for pennies on the dollar I'd stay away to be safe and buy a Harley and handguns instead.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
However you can legitimately create a VIP account (Platinum for under $40K) if you have or buy the right resale contracts and a small contract from one of a couple rare resorts. I've personally done it and worked with others to do it too. Contract making it Platinum comes directly from Wyndham. PM me if interested in discussing.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
However you can legitimately create a VIP account (Platinum for under $40K) if you have or buy the right resale contracts and a small contract from one of a couple rare resorts. I've personally done it and worked with others to do it too. Contract making it Platinum comes directly from Wyndham. PM me if interested in discussing.
When was the last time you were able to create a Platinum account for under $40k ?
The key word here is 'Legitimately.' You can't 'legitimately' sell a 'VIP' account therefor it can't 'legitimately' be sold as one. All it will take is an audit and or an algorithm to ferret out illegitimate VIP accounts. Long term account suspensions during an audit and possibility cost you $$$$ if found to be illegitimate VIP accounts. If you do it put it in an LLC and be willing to walk away if audited. Unless you can get one for pennies on the dollar I'd stay away to be safe and buy a Harley and handguns instead.
If Wyndham made an agreement with an HOA when they bought and or took over management of a resort and that agreement made some contracts keep all benefits that come with a developer purchase even if those contracts are resold. Why do you say those qualifying contracts are illegitimate ?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brain dead- the last one I did was earlier this year and I have until the end of this year to do a couple more before my window closes.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE] If Wyndham made an agreement with an HOA when they bought and or took over management of a resort and that agreement made some contracts keep all benefits that come with a developer purchase even if those contracts are resold. Why do you say those qualifying contracts are illegitimate ?[/QUOTE]

VIP benefits come from Wyndham and are Wyndham related, not HOA related. Wyndham eats the cost of these benefits. The main argument comes from Wyndham's policy which basically states only developer purchased points can be applied towards VIP levels. And the statement about how VIP benefits do not transfer when sold, however, an immediate family member can 'inherit' the benefits. They did this as a selling point.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Wyndham made an agreement with an HOA when they bought and or took over management of a resort and that agreement made some contracts keep all benefits that come with a developer purchase even if those contracts are resold. Why do you say those qualifying contracts are illegitimate ?[/QUOTE]

VIP benefits come from Wyndham and are Wyndham related, not HOA related. Wyndham eats the cost of these benefits. The main argument comes from Wyndham's policy which basically states only developer purchased points can be applied towards VIP levels. And the statement about how VIP benefits do not transfer when sold, however, an immediate family member can 'inherit' the benefits. They did this as a selling point.[/QUOTE]

You are right as far as what the book says, but the fact is there are some contracts that transfer with VIP eligibility intact. Buy enough of these "special" contracts and you can become VIP with 100% resale purchases.

At least that was the case before last August. I suspect that, as they examined the suspended accounts, Wyndham found enough guys like me , that had VIP accounts with all resale purchases.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Wyndham made an agreement with an HOA when they bought and or took over management of a resort and that agreement made some contracts keep all benefits that come with a developer purchase even if those contracts are resold. Why do you say those qualifying contracts are illegitimate ?

VIP benefits come from Wyndham and are Wyndham related, not HOA related. Wyndham eats the cost of these benefits. The main argument comes from Wyndham's policy which basically states only developer purchased points can be applied towards VIP levels. And the statement about how VIP benefits do not transfer when sold, however, an immediate family member can 'inherit' the benefits. They did this as a selling point.[/QUOTE]

You are right as far as what the book says, but the fact is there are some contracts that transfer with VIP eligibility intact. Buy enough of these "special" contracts and you can become VIP with 100% resale purchases.

At least that was the case before last August. I suspect that, as they examined the suspended accounts, Wyndham found enough guys like me , that had VIP accounts with all resale purchases.[/QUOTE]

Agree with Ron. Wyndham isn't going to publish a list of resorts and contracts that retain developer status.
These contracts don't fall through the cracks that could be caught later like 55plus posted. There is a reason they transfer over and over again and retain developer status. 55plus asked if this could be fraud if Wyndham catches it later? I'll answer no. No different than it's printed in black and white that resale points do not receive VIP benefits. In my opinion owners aren't committing fraud receiving VIP benefits on resale points if Wyndham catches it later.

There's been talk on here about about LLCs and Trust to keep accounts VIP eligible also. Wyndham could very easily say they are resales also.
The contracts themselves aren't sold but they are SOLD as an asset in the LLC or Trust. Wyndham is notified of the new owner of the LLC or Trust.