• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elara Availability During Club Season For Peak Weeks

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a HGVC timeshare through resale for the platinum season with my home resort being Vegas Strip to have the cheapest MFs as possible. I want to book a 2br or larger at the Elara from Wed-Sun during the first week of March Madness every year but was wondering if anyone knows what availability is like when booking during Club Season as long as I book as early as possible. If I took next year as an example, I'd want to check-in on Wednesday March 14, 2018 and check-out on Sunday, March 18, 2018. Would that mean that the earliest I can book for the dates I want would be 9 months prior to March 18, 2018 which would be roughly around June 18, 2017? But the Club Season for this year would officially open April 1, 2017?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I'm considering buying a HGVC timeshare through resale for the platinum season with my home resort being Vegas Strip to have the cheapest MFs as possible. I want to book a 2br or larger at the Elara from Wed-Sun during the first week of March Madness every year but was wondering if anyone knows what availability is like when booking during Club Season as long as I book as early as possible. If I took next year as an example, I'd want to check-in on Wednesday March 14, 2018 and check-out on Sunday, March 18, 2018. Would that mean that the earliest I can book for the dates I want would be 9 months prior to March 18, 2018 which would be roughly around June 18, 2017? But the Club Season for this year would officially open April 1, 2017?

Home season opens April 1, but Home season wouldn't do you any good because it has to be a full week, so get the lowest point cost you can rather than buying Elara.

To get the reservation you want you have to start 270 days prior to the check out date. The "trick" is to book the Mon-Wed before the weekend you want then "walk" it a day at a time until you have Wed-Sun. Club season is 3 day minimum, and all reservations are changeable at no cost. You may have to start even earlier if all the home season owners book the full week, which is Sat-Sat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Home season opens April 1, but Home season wouldn't do you any good because it has to be a full week, so get the lowest point cost you can rather than buying Elara.

To get the reservation you want you have to start 270 days prior to the check out date. The "trick" is to book the Mon-Wed before the weekend you want then "walk" it a day at a time until you have Wed-Sun. Club season is 3 day minimum, and all reservations are changeable at no cost. You may have to start even earlier if all the home season owners book the full week, which is Sat-Sat.

Can you explain the "trick"? Let me see if I understand what you are saying. So I should book the Mon-Wed before the weekend I want to check out at 270 days (or 276?) prior to that Wed. Then the next day cancel that reservation and book Tues-Thurs. Then the next day cancel that and book Wed-Fri? How does this help me get the Wed-Sun reservation I want. Should I do a Mon-Fri reservation instead since that's the # of nights I want, cancel the next day and rebook for Tues-Sat and so on?

And when you say start even earlier how would I do that since if my calculation is correct Club Season opens July 1 since that is 3 months after Home Season.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Can you explain the "trick"? Let me see if I understand what you are saying. So I should book the Mon-Wed before the weekend I want to check out at 270 days (or 276?) prior to that Wed. Then the next day cancel that reservation and book Tues-Thurs. Then the next day cancel that and book Wed-Fri? How does this help me get the Wed-Sun reservation I want. Should I do a Mon-Fri reservation instead since that's the # of nights I want, cancel the next day and rebook for Tues-Sat and so on?

And when you say start even earlier how would I do that since if my calculation is correct Club Season opens July 1 since that is 3 months after Home Season.

You don't cancel reservations, there is an option to change it. You can add, subtract, or move days. Club season does not "open" on any specific day, its a sliding 270 day window based on the check out day.

Home weeks are loaded into the system as Sat-Sat. Once club season arrives the home weeks can be broken up into less than 7 days. You want to grab a week and break it up as soon as possible so you can get the end of the week. When you change a reservation you retain the hold on that week while its being changed. You may have an issue getting the Saturday night since that is the start of the next week.

Think of it this way, if you and I are competing for the last room available that weekend, if you wait until 270 days before the Sunday (check out date) to book it will be gone because I booked it already and "walked" my reservation into the same dates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
At 270 days from checkout book a 3 night Mon thru Wed as a changeable reservation. Next day change the reservation to 4 nights but adding in Thursday night, so now you have Mon to Thurs booked, so do that for each additional day that you need. etc etc.

That process what has been termed "walking the reservation"

You are adding days on to the reservation as each day comes into the 270 booking window.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can't comment on availability for that time period as I do not watch it, but with the exception of New Year's Eve which is an event week, at 9 months in Vegas nearly all things are available. Don't think you should have a problem.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Agree with Sandy, last month I booked the Elara 4 nights Labor Day weekend and availability was almost wide open. I don't know how that compares with March Madness but I suspect it has to be a popular weekend as well.

Reaction score
Are my dates for how Home Week, Club Reservation and Open Season work correct? My initial assumption was that they occur on the same time period of the year, but after reading SmithOp's reply about Club Reservation being a sliding 276 day window, I'm assuming the Home Week window is also a sliding 365 day to 276 window. So for the purpose of my example, I want Elara check-in 3/14/18, check-out 3/18/18, is this correct?
Home Week 3/14/17-6/11/17 (276 days from check-in)
Club Reservation 6/15/17 (276 days from check-out) - 3/13/18
Open Season 2/16/18 - 3/13/18

The optimal strategy for Club Reservation would be:
on 6/11/17 book Sun 3/11/18 - Wed 3/14/18 (=3 night min)
on 6/12/17 change reservation to Mon 3/12/18 - Thur 3/15/18
on 6/13/17 change reservation to Tues 3/13/18 - Fri 3/16/18
on 6/14/17 change reservation to Wed 3/14/18 - Sat 3/17/18
on 6/15/17 change reservation to Wed 3/14/18 - Sun 3/18/18

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are my dates for how Home Week, Club Reservation and Open Season work correct? My initial assumption was that they occur on the same time period of the year, but after reading SmithOp's reply about Club Reservation being a sliding 276 day window, I'm assuming the Home Week window is also a sliding 365 day to 276 window. So for the purpose of my example, I want Elara check-in 3/14/18, check-out 3/18/18, is this correct?
Home Week 3/14/17-6/11/17 (276 days from check-in)
Club Reservation 6/15/17 (276 days from check-out) - 3/13/18
Open Season 2/16/18 - 3/13/18

The optimal strategy for Club Reservation would be:
on 6/11/17 book Sun 3/11/18 - Wed 3/14/18 (=3 night min)
on 6/12/17 change reservation to Mon 3/12/18 - Thur 3/15/18
on 6/13/17 change reservation to Tues 3/13/18 - Fri 3/16/18
on 6/14/17 change reservation to Wed 3/14/18 - Sat 3/17/18
on 6/15/17 change reservation to Wed 3/14/18 - Sun 3/18/18

thumbs_up.jpg

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A picture always helps.....