• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging in II

kgarfink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I banked my 2 weeks in II. I would love to go to Maui in sept or oct. I happened to search for a getaway and they had 2 weeks together at the resort I wanted. Does this mean that my chances are high for getting the 2 weeks I want through an exchange??

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no correlation between the Getaways inventory and the exchange inventory. Resorts in the Getaways inventory will not move to the exchange inventory.
Your chance of success exchange depends only on what you have deposited vs what your are looking for.
To increase your chance, you must put an OGS asap.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no correlation between the Getaways inventory and the exchange inventory. Resorts in the Getaways inventory will not move to the exchange inventory.
Your chance of success exchange depends only on what you have deposited vs what your are looking for.
To increase your chance, you must put an OGS asap.

I'm not sure this is actually true. It is a theory but I have seen evidence of shorter notice inventory showing up in both. It could be that there was inventory in both so that is inconclusive. I have also experienced situations where an OGS match was likely from getaway inventory, which could be based on a rep submitting a match for approval and having it granted. In either case you are right, submit an OGS asap.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is actually true. It is a theory but I have seen evidence of shorter notice inventory showing up in both. It could be that there was inventory in both so that is inconclusive. I have also experienced situations where an OGS match was likely from getaway inventory, which could be based on a rep submitting a match for approval and having it granted. In either case you are right, submit an OGS asap.
During the flexchange, the exchange inventory can be offered simultaneously in the Getaways inventory as per II documents but not the inverse.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
There's a lot to be considered in your question and information missing for most TUGGER's to make an informed opinion. I'm assuming you're talking about Sept./Oct. of 2017, which is only 6/7months out. I've always had my best luck requesting 12+ months out or within the flexchange period when most restrictions are off. For the record, I've typically deposited as early as possible and requested as soon as I knew where we wanted to go. It helps when you can advance plan over a year in advance. I realize most people can't do that.

From my limited experience. Maui can be one of the more difficult exchanges within the Hawaiian Islands. It is likely the most popular of the Hawaiian Islands and building timeshares on Maui has become difficult. Just ask any Hilton owner waiting on HGVC's announced new property on Maui, which was announced maybe 2 years ago yet, they haven't moved so much as a spade of dirt.

On the other hand Sept/Oct are hurricane season and typically after children are back in school, which could produce better available inventory for exchange. So I think you have an advantage looking during that time of year.

Another issue would be if you're looking for 2 bedroom or larger units only. Hawaii is expensive to own relative to most other timeshare destinations. There are some resorts that are 2 bedroom units only but there are many that are lock-off units where the unit can be split into a 1 bedroom and a studio unit (or two 1 bedroom units). I can't speak for those who own in Hawaii but, if I owned an expensive Hawaiian week and if it locked off where I could get 2 exchanges instead of one, you can bet I'd be trying to maximize my value by getting two exchanges out of one unit. For that matter I do that with all of my lock-off units and all of them are state side. If I'm going to exchange, I want maximum value out of the cost of my ownership.

We plan on requesting a Hawaiian exchange for 2019 (told you I was an advance planner). The differences are I'll select a week that's strong in II's TDI chart, I'll deposit that 2 bedroom week (master unit of a 3 bedroom unit), I'll be searching for an exchange within the MVC system where I have some priority, and we'll accept Kauai, Maui or the Big Island, whichever matches first. We'd prefer Maui but, a Maui match would most likely be a 1 bedroom and we really want a 2 bedroom unit for this trip. We've been to the 4 major tourist island and we prefer Maui but also enjoy Kauai and the Big Island. Oahu......we can do without. I'd rather go to Vegas.

FWIW we'll be using a 2 bedroom March or April week at Marriott Grand Chateau. We've made this exchange into Kauai once before into a March 2 bedroom unit at Marriott's Waiohai resort on Kauai. My expectations are we'll probably get Kauai. Marriott has a lot of inventory there including several units that are 2 bedroom only. It's not that Kauai is an easier exchange but that Kauai has more of the unit type we'll accept. In the future we will likely be willing to accept a 1 bedroom unit and when we can accept a smaller unit we'll be more specific in requesting Maui only and, I expect that we have a reasonable chance to confirm that exchange request.