TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Exploring a resale at Kierland

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by Tucsonadventurer, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:58 PM.

1. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House
    We have been considering Hawaii but are wary about the high MFs. We have started looking at Kierland mainly using it for trading , hopefully every other year to Hawaii and once in a while renting it out. How difficult is it to rent kierland? What sort of pricing for rents can you expect? We are looking at the 2 bedroom platinum 148,000 SO.
    We have been discouraged by what Interval is doing with Hyatt so had been holding off and postponing a decison. Do you anticipate that changes will be made to the Vistana system next or do you think resales are still a good option? I know there are no guarantees but we would not be using the week to stay at Kierland itself so want to make a wise choice.

2. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OF (Maui)
    WKV x3 (Scottsdale)
    Platinum season at Kierland rents well; March is best. The past three years, we have rented the two bedroom unit for $3,325 - $3,650 (MF's are currently $1,495).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM
  3. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    We have an annual 1BR and an EOY 1BR, but have yet to stay there. We will next year. In the meantime, we have used StarOptions to stay on Maui, Harborside and even St John. We will be staying at Lagunamar (Cancun) this coming January. As Robert mentioned, a Platinum unit works best both for rentals and the StarOptions you receive.

The only downside is the higher purchase price. That said, we have been very happy with our ownership and highly recommend WKV.

It is hard to say how ILG's ownership of Vistana will impact things in the future, but hopefully any changes won't have a significantly negative impact.

Best regards.

Mike

taffy19 likes this.
  4. r1lee

r1lee Guest

Resorts Owned:
    WKV, SVV
    I use kierland and our new svv for trading. So far no issues.

5. Tucsonadventurer

Resorts Owned:
    Thank you
    Interesting. How difficult is it to get a March week?

6. r1lee

r1lee Guest

Resorts Owned:
    WKV, SVV
    I own a march, but it's a float in platinum plus. I guess you just need to be online and book.

7. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    I have had no problem reserving at 10-12 months out.

Tucsonadventurer likes this.
  8. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    We have not had any problems reserving a unit in March. I usually make the reservation right at the 12 month mark to have the best shot at getting what we want.

Mike

9. Tucsonadventurer

Resorts Owned:
    I saw platinum and platinum plus for only slightly more. What is the difference? Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info.

10. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    You need to look at the dates. At one point the highest level at that resort was called platinum. They changed the designation to platinum plus. What they call the unit isn't important. You want one that floats 1-21 and 50-52.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 7:15 PM