• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Post: Wyndham Discovery (trial) member, help? [MERGED]

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A string of posts from a spammer have been removed from this thread - thank you, Ty1on!

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I began with Discovery

Hope I am in the right place. I am completely new to timesharing.
...So we took a leap of faith and purchased a trial "Discovery membership" of 300,000 points that now must be used by 04/2017.
... All I have ever heard are rumors that timeshares are a "scam" and that they aren't a good deal at all due to fees, not enough availability and the fact that you can't cancel them. I don't know how true any of that is. I've caught a lot of flack so far from everyone I have told about our purchase, so I'm really hoping I didn't make a bad decision!
Thanks in advance for the help!
I am likely the only former Discovery owner to answer this thread so far, but I will take your questions/comments in bite-sized chunks.

You will catch flack because people, in today's society in general, seem to feel the need to spout off about things of which they know nothing or have heard third- or fourth-hand. It makes them feel good about themselves.

The line that they are parroting is that timeshares as a whole are easily gotten into and hard to get out of. This broad generalization is just as erroneous as the exaggerations/misrepresentations that come out of the developer sales departments.

While it is true that developer prices outrageously high compared to what one can buy the same things for on the open market, no one is forcing you to buy from the developer.

Yes, many timeshares are hard to get rid of, especially fixed weeks that have high maintenance fees in the off-season. But there are many for which there is a vibrant and active resale market. If you buy resale, you have SO much less downside risk than if you buy from the developer.

The "scam" is only truly a scam with respect to the unscrupulous resale "PCCs" or Post-Card Companies that claim to get you out from an unwanted TS. If they want up-front money? It's probably a scam. The purchase side of TS is very rarely a "scam," but you sometimes have to wade through saleperson BS and make sure you get exactly what you want in the contract. You've down well just to find TUG and do you research.

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest turn offs to the timeshare industry to ME, was the sheer change in how I would be looking at our vacations. Hope I can explain that right. We are hotel-on-a-whim people for the most part. We book hotels maybe 3-4 months out after a couple of weeks of research. I like variety and activity in our locations. I do not mind planning but hate strict itineraries and cringe at planning too far in advance or being locked in to something too far in advance. This is my personality. Disney is something I am going into a bit begrudgingly because of how much planning needs to go into it (i/r/t the park, dining and experience especially). But I want to do it for my kids because they want to do it.
I will continue with one of your later comments.

There is nothing that says once you have a timeshare that you must put all your vacation eggs in one basket. Timeshares are good for some things but not others. It does change one's perspective on vacationing, but not as much as you might think.

I find that TS can offer better accommodations for cheaper rates, especially for high-demand times. By 3-4 months out from a Christmas ski vacation, you may be paying at least 150-200% for a hotel or house than you would for a TS condo booked early on.

This is what Discovery is for! To see if you can blend in some planning with your current whimsical pattern of vacationing.

There are systems that are very flexible. WorldMark (Club Wyndham's sister system) is one such beast. I personally juggle a bunch of potential short trips that I may or may not ever take. But the cancellation policy is such that I can keep rolling my points back as needed. Wyndham is not quite as flexible, but recent changes to their cancellation policies may approach the WorldMark system in this regard.

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
For anyone who is familiar with a Wyndham "Discovery" membership (or please direct me to where I would find those folks), I have some basic questions:

1. During our presentation we were told that points can be used to purchase non-lodging items like flights, tickets to Disney and rental cars. Is this not true for Discovery members? ... How do I find out what non-lodging items I can buy? Call the Discovery number and ask. Don't you have a Discovery guide (similar to the Wyndham Directory) that details the program features? I seem to recall using the points on a combined cruise/resort stay.

2. I am hoping that by traveling to Disney during off peak times, we will have enough points to use the 300,000 to get us two trips next year. It looks like this is going to be nearly impossible now that I am trying to piece together the logistics of when we can reasonably take two trips (one will have to be during peak season, requiring more points than we have). How do most timeshare owners handle this? Is this a common issue? Not sure what you are trying to do such that 300k points is not enough for one Prime booking. Are you looking at Presidential units? If you meant that 300k won't cover 2 weeklong stays, try looking at other resorts in Orlando. Cypress Palms has cheaper rooms, but is not as close to WDW as Bonnet Creek. Most owners will buy more points on the resale market or rent from another owner.

3. How do you purchase more points if you need them? Say you are only a few hundred short...do you have to upgrade your plan to have that many for each year in the future or can you purchase points for a one time use? Normally you can rent in points from Wyndham to complete the last night of a reservation at $8-10/point. Not sure if this is an option with discovery, but call to find out.

4. If you are or were a Discovery member, how did you like it? Did you decide to go into an ownership after? Why or why not? See below.

5. Any other tips and tricks for a newbie are appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the help!
I was lured into a Discovery Package at Wyndham Grand Desert when I turned them down for a normal purchase. I used some of those points to book a combined stay at Orlando (3 days at Cypress Palms) and a Carnival cruise (4 days). You will be required to attend a presentation. I thought I was going in with NO intention of buying, but somehow came away with 308k and VIP Silver at Bonnet Creek. Then again, I had just had a windfall, was young, and looking to spend my money! :doh:

I was fine with Discovery. It made me aware of the benefits of timesharing. But then I did not use my permanent ownership for much of the next 3-5 years.

I found TUG in an attempt to learn how to better use it (not to buy more). Suddenly I learned about the resale market and how much one can save on the purchase price. I also learned that different resorts have widely varying MF rates. I was then in buying/expansion mode. I bought a low MF resort in Wyndham, and then learned about WorldMark and got into that system as a complementary presence (Wyndham is mostly Eastern US, WM is mostly Western US).

As long as you leave ALL your credit cards and checkbooks and any other way of paying for a developer purchase, Discovery will be a fine experience. DO NOT fall for the "credit towards developer purchase" shiny object!

Use it to get a feel for the website (if there is one), and what is needed in terms of planning. Like I said before, just because you are not a planner now does not mean it shouldn't have a place in your vacation experience.

Would I do Discovery again? Possibly. You can also rent from other Wyndham owners to see the resorts, but you won't get the interaction with Vacation Planners or the website if you go that route, so Discovery could be helpful in that regard.

Would I buy developer points again? Absolutely not.

Last edited:

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was lured into a Discovery Package at Wyndham Grand Desert when I turned them down for a normal purchase. I used some of those points to book a combined stay at Orlando (3 days at Cypress Palms) and a Carnival cruise (4 days). You will be required to attend a presentation.
Just a note on that! You will be pressed to attend an exit presentation after you use your Discovery Package. When you signed for it, one of the features was that the money you paid for it (the equity) can be applied to the after-the-fact purchase of retail points.

In truth, if you do not want to buy points, just consider the money spend as the price of the vacation you went on. It was not a bad purchase if you used the points. They will press you to come in to sign a waiver of that equity clause if you don't want to buy, but you do not have to sign anything. Just refuse to do it. Don't attend. You don't have to. I know because we have bought 2 different Discovery Packages. After the first one, we bought our first retail contract. We just wanted the Discovery Package for the second one and I refused to go to their office and I refused to sign anything. What can they do? They can't make me sign something. I didn't want to deal with their high pressure mess.

With our second one we stayed at LaCascada in SanAntonio, took a short cruise out of Galveston, stayed at Avenue Plaza in New Orleans and finished it up on the way home with a stop in Smoky Mountains. We are retired and it was a great vacation.

Wyndham points can be used for plane tickets and car rentals, but when you calculate what you pay for the points (Initial price to purchase + annual maintenance fees) it costs much more money to use points to pay rather than money. The best economic use of points is for staying at Wyndham resorts. If you use points for a cruise, it's for an inside room and you have to pay money to upgrade if you want a window or balcony.

Note above I mentioned the value of the points. You won't have to pay any maintenance fees or housekeeping fees for Discovery points. Retail or resale points require fees. If you buy retail, you will have to consider how much those points cost over a period of years in addition to the ongoing fees. If you buy resale, this amount is much less of a consideration.

Please read the catalog that came with your contract. It looks like just a picture book of resorts, but there is info in there about how the system works. Also, that book is different from the one owners have. Everything is not in it. If you want to see the whole picture, read this one http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/plus_membersdirectory1415/

One big difference is that you can't make reservations online with Discovery. Also Wyndham will make sure that you get in where you want with the Discovery package because they want you to have a good experience so you will buy. I suspect they reserve space for Discovery.

katieg

Reaction score
Are there ANY reasons why one should buy a timeshare at all? [merged at this point]

Hi All -

I've been reading here for a couple of months now, trying to digest as much as I can and educate myself as much as I can. I'm still very new to this and finding the learning curve to be very steep here...not totally up on the lingo used.

My biggest takeaway so far from reading these forums is this: timeshares are a generally a horrible idea.

I realize this could be a wrong conclusion. So I'm here throwing myself at the altar hoping for further education. It seems like a lot of us end up here after falling for a sales pitch and then go through the baptism by fire when we come here to try to get their bearings about what they've just committed to. Is that a fair assessment? (Not that baptism by fire is a bad thing, btw. It's just very overwhelming.)

A little background about my situation: I am on a Wyndham Discovery trial right now (300k points) to use by 04/2017. We attended the sales pitch on our vacation in Myrtle Beach in August enticed by the "gifts" (heavily discounted theme park and attraction tickets that we wanted). It wasn't our first timeshare sales pitch - first with Wyndham though. We had done similar sales meetings to get the incentives before. In those past meetings we didnt buy and went scorched earth with them at the end to get them to leave us alone and send us to the gifts.

For some reason I was enticed by the Wyndham product - guess they got me to see the stars with their techniques - and I wanted to try it out. Discovery was something I was willing to do for a trial to see if timeshare was right for my family.

We haven't used it yet.

I came here to learn more about how to get acquainted with the whole process and then found myself in a sea of information about buying resale, rescind (which we didn't do) and some other people's warning stories. Scared me to death thinking we've made a terrible mistake. And maybe we did...thankfully not a "lifelong" one. This one at least has an end date.

I realize that there are likely going to be a lot more hoops for me to jump through with Wyndham during my Discovery trial such as additional meetings and pitches. I'm not looking forward to them but planning to go in fully educated and ready for battle when we get to that point.

Anyway - I would like to know from the group here: Do you have any positive feedback on timesharing? What do you find to be the "pros" of it? Are the MFs worth it to you? If you had the opportunity to pull people aside as they walked into their first sales meeting and give them 5 minutes of advice, what would you say to them?

I'm trying to see who out there in the world benefits from timesharing (over other more mainstream methods of vacationing). Obviously the sales sharks are there to sell - and it was clear to me upon walking into the Wyndham sales pitch that they must be spending many millions of dollars on marketing, which of course has to come at a hefty markup on the product they are selling. I just did not know before I went that there was an option to buy resale. Totally unaware that market existed. This timesharing has to work for someone or the industry wouldn't exist....right?

Thanks for sharing with me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
You commented on your Discovery Package thread that you tend to travel on a whim, and it was noted there that you might find TS isn't for you based upon that fact alone.

Although someone will likely give you the example of the time they found a great Presidential Suite 10 days before check-in, this is the exception, and planning your vacation 10-13 months ahead for highly desirable locations and dates is the norm.

This forum is chock full of members that love their timeshare ownership, and there was a recent thread in which your very question was posed and received many responses. The main advantage, to me, is getting generally superior accommodations to hotels/motels at a reasonable cost, IF you bought resale.

A lot of members here also enjoy the gamesmanship of using their knowledge of their particular system and exchange system to extract the most possible vacation value out of their ownership.

Last edited:

katieg

Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry - I didn't mean to duplicate a thread that was already done. I'm still learning about the structure of the forums. Can you share the thread that you are referring to? Maybe I'll delete this one?

Yes, I would like to hear from the group about which demographic the timeshares work for and what people enjoy about them. I haven't started yet but I am aware that we will have to book 10 months out to get our reservation. We are not yet 10 months out from our time of travel. For discovery members it is a max of 10 months out for reservations. I'm sure we are getting the bottom of the barrel in terms of reservations, with preference going to those who are full members...nbd, I expected that.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'll get as much priority as any other owner if you reserve at the 10 month mark. The only ones with priority over you will be ARP that got their ressies in between 13 months and 10 months.

Your program is intended to give you an opportunity to decide you want to be a Wyndham owner. They will not treat you like a second class citizen.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What you have read here is that it's a bad idea to BUY FROM THE DEVELOPER, because the price is enormously inflated. Buying resale can be very cost effective.

Ideally, you should be able to make firm plans 10-12 mos. out.

It also helps if you are a detail oriented planner, or you won't enjoy the planning part of timeshare ownership.

DON'T buy from the developer.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyway - I would like to know from the group here: Do you have any positive feedback on timesharing? It has given us the opportunity to vacation much more than we ever imagined.What do you find to be the "pros" of it? Since we have to pay for it, it forces us to vacation. That is something we never had time or money to do before. My husband likes the full kitchen because he has a lot of dietary restrictions and it's way easier for him to cook than to try to eat in a restaurant.Are the MFs worth it to you? In some cases they are, but when we have personal emergencies and can't use what we are paying for, then no. If you had the opportunity to pull people aside as they walked into their first sales meeting and give them 5 minutes of advice, what would you say to them? Spend lots of time, as in months, researching all the different timeshare programs to make sure you figure out which one will work best for you. Then, buy it on the resale market. Be patient.

Answers are in red.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you find to be the "pros" of it?
I strongly prefer the timeshare model of vacation lodging to the hotel model. We are a family of four; our eldest will be going to college next year, and we've owned timeshares for almost nine years now. Having two (or more) bedrooms, an equipped kitchen, a washer/dryer, and a nicely furnished living room makes for much more comfortable and pleasant vacations. We don't often cook, but it's nice for assembling breakfast or even having proper dishes off of which to eat pizza delivery. On nearly every vacation we've taken, my wife and I look at each other and say: "Hotel rooms. How do they do it?"

On the other hand, most timeshare resorts don't have daily maid service, lots of on-site restaurants, etc. It's a more do-it-yourself vacation. We like that, but not everyone does. Before we found timesharing, we were the sorts of people who would rent private homes, or maybe stay in a Residence Inn or equivalent.

Are the MFs worth it to you?
We are probably not "saving money" by owning timeshares. For each of our timeshares, our annual fees are probably a shade less than it would cost to rent the same week, but not by a whole lot. We've gotten more than fair value out of them using either internal point systems or third-party exchanges. But, we are also taking more vacations than we otherwise would, because timeshare assets are use-it-or-lose-it. I view this as a benefit, but it's not a financial benefit so much as something that is good for my family's soul. Truth be told, we're now in a position where it is very hard to use them all, because the kids are both in high school with a variety of sports and other activities that limits our potential travel. I suspect this is a short-term problem though, and in the meantime I'm sending other family members on vacations that they would never take themselves.

If you had the opportunity to pull people aside as they walked into their first sales meeting and give them 5 minutes of advice, what would you say to them?
Two things. One: never buy from the developer. We bought all of our timeshares on the resale market, for a dime (or pennies) on the dollar. Two: take your time. It's easy to buy a timeshare, but it can be hard to sell one. Make sure the thing you buy fits your needs. We've been happy with our purchases, but they were not spur-of-the-moment decisions. If I had it to do over again, I might do one or two things differently, but I don't regret any of those purchases.

Presley's recommendations for "months" is about right. Ultimately, timeshare ownership makes the most sense if you view vacation planning as something of a hobby. You also need to have a pretty comfortable cushion of discretionary income, because even if your lodging is cheap, not much else will be while on vacation.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I have owned a timeshare since 1981. I was totally against buying but my DH never took vacations, and he was the one who wanted it. I have become the Timeshare Guru in the family, we have 6 timeshares now, got rid of 2, trying to get rid of one more and in the process of buying another. I purchase where I want to stay, also look for good trade value, but mostly if I had to just stay at my own timeshares I would be happy. That is the best advice I have ever received, buy where you want to stay. But don't be afraid to exchange for new places!
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't know much about Wyndham or Discovery or Points systems. We bought our first timeshare from the developer in 1999 and don't regret it at all. We took no loans and even with the maintenance fees it has paid for itself and enabled us to travel all over the country. Our second timeshare was totally free from Timeshare Nation. In both cases, the maintenance fees are about half of what we would pay to rent the same units at the same resorts at the same time of year. We own fixed weeks (with an attached off-season floater) in specific units (top floors, views, etc.) that we wanted in resorts that we wanted to go to every year and within driving distance from our home so we wouldn't be slaves to airfare. The 2 fixed weeks are Prime Time summer, so they have good exchange value. But-when we exchanged in the past we used the attached off-season floater week(that was part of our original fixed week purchase) that has preassigned dates and varies every year. Some of the dates are stronger traders than others, but I also use the independent exchange companies (free membership/low exchange fees)where the exchanges are blind. In other words, I can look for an exchange BEFORE I deposit my week and they will take whatever week I have for the exchange. Now we mostly even use that floater week at our home resort anyway and rarely exchange it. We sometimes use the floater week to go back into one of our home resorts for different dates than the ones that were preassigned. We never exchange our fixed weeks because we like going to our home resorts and the areas they are in so much!

When we want to go on additional vacations, we rent from other timeshare owners to go other places so we don't have the hassle of dealing with trying to get an exchange.

For our fixed weeks (and floater) there is no planning needed really. We have permanent reservations! We just show up!

I love having our timeshares. To us they are like our second homes with all the conveniences. They have provided so many memories for our family.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like I may have replied to your other thread. If not, here goes again. For you, rent. The commitment of having to make a decision and book something, somewhere at 10 months out is daunting, and you'll feel pressure to just book something or lose it.

So, if you are on a stable vacation schedule, and having a second vacation home appeals, buy a resale, fixed week somewhere within driving distance. You'll love it.

Or just rent.

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, you will have a BETTER vacation experience with the Discovery Package than when you really buy a bunch of points. Since you do NOT have the ARP window to book reservations AND you have the "special phone line" for the Discovery group ... you can get some great vacations. PRIME vacation times held in their special inventory ... I have found Discovery participates at Royal Vista in early March .. that resort is NEVER available to the unwashed (non deeded owners) members at the 10 month mark.

Additionally, I do not believe you will get hit with reservation transaction fees (RTs) or housekeeping credits (HKs) ... again, minor fees but ones that a small points owners do end up paying at times.

So look at the 10 month out mark and GO BIG ... do the short stays (if you really don't have any RTs and HKs fees) and travel around difference resorts. Remember, weekends cost more points... Sunday thru Thursdays are cheaper. Stretch those points for MORE stays at more resorts.

I own Wyndham points, Shell points and several other resorts as Fixed Weeks .... but I use the vast majority of my ownership for a winter vacation "home" and associated rentals.

Another use of my ownerships, is to FORCE my siblings to vacation as a family group. Try Spring Training in March ... did I mention I HATE baseball? But they LOVE baseball ... and they love me planning the SPRING TRAINING trip. They roost so much better in a studio or 1bdr condos. They like to cook and drink wine ... and work on "THE BRACKETS". Definitely NOT a trip for children ... but my goal is not to entertain the under 21yo in the family. It is to bond the far flung and overworked siblings .... and is it ever successful.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I agree that renting may be better for you right now. You still need to use your package. If you want a summer vacation in a high demand location, your only shot is summer 2016. You are beyond the 10 month mark for most of the summer. You need to decide where you want to go and book something. Depending on where you live you may be able to make a fairly last minute trip but if you need off during school vacations, you will want to book sooner rather than later.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

katieg

Reaction score
Because it is TUG policy to merge topics on the same or very similar topics.
Sorry. I didn't realize that the two threads would be considered that similar. I wouldn't have started a new thread.

katieg

Reaction score
When people say "high demand location" what does that mean?

Clarifying this question - is "high demand" an actual printed list I can find somewhere or is it just something people learn from experience?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's easier for everyone if we can see what's already been asked and answered. It's all good. :hi:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When people say "high demand location" what does that mean?

Clarifying this question - is "high demand" an actual printed list I can find somewhere or is it just something people learn from experience?

PRIME season ... Myrtle Beach in July. February in Pompano Beach. NYE at Midtown 45 in NYC. Mardi Gras in NOLA.

See the pattern ... if you look in the Member Directory, it generally is during PRIME time in the points charts.

katieg

Reaction score
PRIME season ... Myrtle Beach in July. February in Pompano Beach. NYE at Midtown 45 in NYC.
I'm not an experienced enough traveler to know what's prime in various regions of the country. Should I just assume anything on the points chart called "prime" is going to be unavailable if I don't make those reservations 10 months to the day?