TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

FYI $3000 Resort Transfer Fee at Plaza Suite in NOLA

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by mpeter15, Sep 8, 2017.

1. mpeter15

mpeter15 Guest

I have been recently in talks with a fellow TUGger about purchasing her 2 Plaza Suite week 18(Jazz Fest) 1Br units for a decent price. That all ended when I called the resort to confirm the resort transfer fees. Imagine my surprise when the Resort manger informed me that it would be $3000 per unit to transfer compared to $300 per unit in all the surrounding resorts. SMDH, apparently they don't want anyone buying their units but themselves because nobody is going to pay a $3000 transfer fee. Has anyone else heard of similar transfer fees at other resorts?

2. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

thats sickening

mpeter15 likes this.
  3. mpeter15

mpeter15 Guest

Yes it is. I can't understand why the owners would allow that considering it prevents any of them from selling their units in case of financial hardship

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

4. RX8

RX8 TUG Member

Is it possible those fees are prepaying maintenance fees?

Not sure what the selling price is or what you are willing to pay but counter with a lower offer to the seller. If the total out of pocket cost is acceptable to you then it doesn't matter what the breakout is for purchase price and transfer fees. All this is bad for the seller because the HOA is taking the seller's profit.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    mpeter15 likes this.
  5. mpeter15

mpeter15 Guest

No, I confirmed asked about 3 different ways, the $3000 was strictly a resort transfer fee per unit. How can I counter lower when $3000 is way more than I am even willing to pay for a 1br timeshare Jazz Fest or not. Not to mention I'd be setting myself up for disaster should I ever want to get out/sell.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

6. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Not uncommon at some Mexican facilities, but I'd not heard of any such numbers in the U.S. I thought Hyatt was the champ at $599 --- apparently not. :eek:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    mpeter15 likes this.
  7. K2Quick

K2Quick TUG Member

I think Marriott charges more than $3,000 to transfer a points ownership.

8. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc McAplin & Eagles Nest, Sunrise Bay, Hideaway Sands, Voyager, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Cold Springs, Banyan
    I do not know the law but wonder at what point for US timeshares do these fees become excessive and are considered illegal, unfair practices, not allowing open competition to sell?

I understand when you buy, you are stuck if you can't sell or give away but add in the factor of Excessive fees to transfer when you give it away and the timeshare company unwilling to take it back, somewhere there has to be an illegal aspect to this.

taffy19 likes this.
  9. rpennisi

rpennisi Guest

Even more sickening is Vidanta charging a transfer fee equal to 10 maintenance fees for a Grand Luxxe transfer. At over $2000 per maintenance fee, that's over 20,000 dollars!

gnorth16 likes this.
  10. mpeter15

mpeter15 Guest

That is quite ridiculous. Of course I know nothing about that resort/system, so I can really compare or comment too much. With the Plaza Suite, I can reference other local independent resorts in the immediate area that have similar or even better amenities that transfer for 1/10 of what Plaza Suite charges. 1 thing I can tell you for sure, I won't be buying at either Plaza Suite or Vidanta lol

klpca likes this.
  11. rpennisi

rpennisi Guest

And in addition to the 10X MF, they also strip away the extra benefits from the original contract (free massages, golf, etc). All that has basically shutdown the resale market for Grand Luxxe.
    Great resorts to visit if you want to trade, but if you do, the sales presentation is deadly.

gnorth16 and dioxide45 like this.
  12. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    These resorts aren't found on the resale market often. It isn't because buying direct from Vidanta is so great, it is because they make resale so hard. I wouldn't take one if someone gave it to me. Even if exchanges no longer possible.

rpennisi likes this.
  13. theo

That's Mexico however; any such attempted practice here in the U.S. would very promptly be addressed and definitively resolved in a courtroom.

To that point, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if someone launches a legal challenge to the NOLA transfer fee situation cited by the OP, perhaps alleging "unfair restraint of trade" or something along those lines. I dunno; it's certainly not an area of expertise for me. :shrug:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  14. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    The Vidanta transfer fee changes to 5 x MF was instituted when they added MF on use only ( "no go / no pay") to most new contracts in 2006 .
    This addendum and other benefits ( generally) do not transfer to a new owner .

Vidanta wanted their product off ebay for $1 - and they were successful .

That said - for many owners there is no ongoing / unending MF obligation .

Their older contracts are either renewed at 25 years for an additional payment( 5 x current MF) or end .
    Post 2010 contracts renew at 10 years for a payment (generally 1 or 2 x current MF )

Those who want to leave can easily do so . The upfront money is left behind BUT you are out without any headaches .

15. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Another difference is Vidanta included the transfer fee in the contract be it 5 or 10 x's the current MF or 10% of the original purchase price etc. You knew going in what the transfer fee was going to be and could make the decision to buy or not to buy. Looking at old posts as recently as 2014 Plaza Suites transfer fee was under $500 so in this case an owner could have bought with a $300 transfer fee 5 years ago and now goes to sell or give away and it is $3000, much worse.

16. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    What is wrong with the the HOA? I am sure that they are trying to prevent viking ship scenarios, but there has to be a better way to do it. At this rate, people will just abandon these units and the HOA will get stuck with a bunch of foreclosures.

17. spackler

spackler TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
    Maybe they *want* those deeds & hoping current owners just sign over the intervals.

18. theo

Possibly, but wouldn't any such "signing over" also invoke the exact same required transfer fee?
    It seems hard to believe that the HOA could get away with selective or subjective application of a $3k transfer fee requirement.
    Did you perhaps instead intend to refer to resort acquisition of deeds by foreclosure? :ponder:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  19. spackler

spackler TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
    Maybe; I don't know what (if any) ulterior motives are in play here...but this whole thing seems illegal or unethical. Or both.

20. stumahlin

stumahlin TUG Member

If you're an owner of, and fortunate enough to find a buyer for, a Southwind/Spinnaker Management timeshare in Hilton Head (and probably Orlando and Branson), your buyer will have to put $1500 into a maintenance fee escrow account and submit him/herself to a variety of disclosures (even including supplying a copy of his/her drivers license) in order for the transaction to go through. We're lost three prospects so far because of Southwind/Spinnaker requirements. There's no freedom for a buyer and a seller to just make a deal and get it done without interference by the Resort management.

21. theo

With all due respect, required pre-payment of maintenance fees and i.d. to ensure that it's not a Viking Ship transaction is profoundly different from a flat out money grab of $3000 for the mere "privilege" of transferring an ownership. Apples and oranges / night and day.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    FreeIn2010 likes this.
  22. zzcn69

zzcn69 TUG Member

Chateau Orleans also has a similar fee. Ray Peacock is head of both resorts. He was the developer of Plaza Suites and took over several years ago as Property manager at the Chateau. I am owner at both and will simply give the units back to them or walk away when I am no longer able to travel. i have noticed a funny thing in NO timeshares among the "good old boys" who originally built these TS, they don't seem to care if you pay MF or not. If MF are owed, the resort rents the units. I know for a fact that if the unit is rented at Chateau, the money goes in Mr. Peacock pocket The only money the HOA gets is the MF. I have been to a couple of HOA meetings - a joke really. Board is just going thru the motions. Not much interest shown by owners or Board. i brought up the question, if it is almost impossible to sell a unit now and the owners decrease each year, how high will MF go. No one could answer that. To be fair, Mr. Peacock has made a lot of improvements there and MF is a reasonable $560 a year. I think his eventual plans are to make a boutique hotel. There is a sign out front now advertising CO boutique hotel. As for me, I shall enjoy it as long as I can, and then walk away.

23. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    Perhaps it is the business plan to acquire the property for almost free then sell it to a new (ahem) developer.