• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Global Entry Program/Pre-Check [Split from screaming woman thread]

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pre check

Being denied happens. I had it happen in Miami. Very irritating. OTOH if it was always a free pass from security, then every terrorist, drug trafficker and gun runner would register making us all insecure.

I have had GE since its inception. This thread is and has been largely old news. If people would read the directions about applying most of this thread would be eliminated. It is time to let this topic die. If people still have questions read some of this thread because most questions have been answered time and again.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Being denied happens. I had it happen in Miami. Very irritating.

I have had GE since its inception. This thread is largely old news. If people would read the directions about applying most of this thread would be eliminated. It is time to let this topic die.

Well okay.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It is time to let this topic die. If people still have questions read some of this thread because most questions have been answered time and again.

Isn't that true for most things on TUG? ;)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It is time to let this topic die.

Old threads never die. They just fade away...
And then someone doing a search wakes it up years later.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Return from UK - experience with MPC

I promised to review our return.

Last Tuesday we returned from LHR to DFW. Our flight (AA) was at 0930 and so of course I compulsively got us to the airport at 0630 via Hoppa Bus.

There was practically no one at Terminal 3 and we were 3rd in line for AA checkin, The agent chattily asked us questions that sounded like screening: Where had we been, for how long, what our occupations were ("retired") and what were they before retirement. All of this looking straight at us and not reading from a screen or entering anything. She didn't ask the usual questions (did you pack your bags yourself, and have they been in your custody since then?)

There is a common security line for the terminal and of course no TSA PreCheck at LHR (although that WAS printed on the boarding passes). It was fast. Had to remove laptop and Apple Mini from backpack and remove belt, but not shoes. My carryon was selected for inspection. He pointed at the screen and said "I need to know what that is" ... I replied "a Mac mini computer." He had me open it and removed the computer and one other electronic thing, and sent them through xray again. He swabbed a lot, but I never saw him put the swab through the machine.

He returned the electronics and rooted around the other side of the bag, and extracted a small jar of honey we'd had there since Spain. Too liquid, and, he said, too big, but I think it was < 100 mL.

At the gate entrance, an agent was asking similar questions as we had heard at the checkin to a person in front of us. She didn't ask us any questions. Again, not looking at a screen, but at the passenger's face.

There was no official UK passport control, and ours were not stamped.

It was an uneventful flight, except for the Pakistani woman seated next to us, who decided to lie down across all three seats when we went to the restroom....

I had earlier downloaded and configured the MPC (Mobile Passport Control), so as soon as we landed I was filling in the arrival info, which took 20 seconds. I didn't have a connection in the middle of the runway area, but as soon as we neared the buildings I sent it, and had a receipt in 30 seconds.

Upon entering the terminal, there are signs for different categories of passenger, and one for MPC is now included. It sends you to the Global Entry line, but when the agent greeting you there heard "MPC" he asked to see the pictures. We showed them, and he said "thanks, you can exit at booth 32" where another agent also looked at them. Total time in Immigration: 30 seconds. They didn't look at the passports, and didn't ask any questions. We had been out of the US for almost six months, so that surprised me a little. As our passports weren't stamped, we have no direct physical evidence that we exited the UK when we did. I am sure it's in the computers, and of course I could pull up proof if I had to.

On to Customs: our bags came out quickly and we walked toward the agents. There is not a "green channel" here, everyone talks to an agent. When she heard "MPC" she said, "oh good, hold your receipt over the scanner". You have to hold it about an inch up, not slap it down on the glass. We did that for both receipts, it boinged. This agent DID look at the passports (just the ID page) and then she said "thanks, all done." No questions at all. The trip arrival screen on MPC does have four questions about fruit, veg, meat, etc., and just a declaration that you haven't exceeded your allowances. Time here: maybe 90 seconds, as it took a few tries to get the receipt at the right distance the first time.

Someone grabbed our bags and threw them on the re-check belt, and we were off to the Skyway for transfer to terminal C.

This was certainly the fastest and most boring international arrival in our memory. We ARE admittedly 60-something nerds, but British TV has shows about the UK, US, NZ, Australian, and Canadian border agencies, and we expected more questions or surveillance. Not even a dog in sight this time.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
GE=put ur pp on the scanner, scan, walk out

In my experience (Canada to U.S.) GE = scan your passport, answer some questions online at the kiosk, have your picture taken (by the machine), get the printout, then walk out.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm still seeing pending approval on the site for my application. I'm starting to give up hope that my application will ever get approved.

Its been 3 months since I applied and I still am at Pending Review. Is there anyplace I can call to check on status? I've looked on the website and can not find any phone info to call and check...thanks everyone..

I just wanted to let everyone know that it took almost 4 months to get my application approved, I've got my appointment scheduled for late October....Thank you everyone for the help...

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I had my appointment for Pre-Check on Friday. I was in and out in four minutes. Gave passport, verified a few questions and SS number, then paid. They had appointments every ten minutes. Hope I get my number before I go to Vegas on 9-17. She said it was only taking a few days so we'll see.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I had my appointment for Pre-Check on Friday. I was in and out in four minutes. Gave passport, verified a few questions and SS number, then paid. They had appointments every ten minutes. Hope I get my number before I go to Vegas on 9-17. She said it was only taking a few days so we'll see.

It should be on your confirmation for your appointment. That is your KTN. The activation should happen within 24 hours. Just login to your global account to see if it's been approved. But you can go online to the airlines and input the KTN now.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
It should be on your confirmation for your appointment. That is your KTN. The activation should happen within 24 hours. Just login to your global account to see if it's been approved. But you can go online to the airlines and input the KTN now.

It looks like slip applied for PreCheck, not Global Entry. Different process.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yes, mine is Pre and she said that was not my number on the receipt.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to google to get an answer, but didn't find anything.

My card came in the mail about a week after my interview. My daughter interviewed on the same day and was also told she was approved. She didn't get her card. It's been maybe 10 days since I got mine. We have different addresses, but same county. Does it ever take several weeks to get the card after being approved at the interview?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I went on 8-23 and my wife went a week later. My wife got her number already but not the card. I haven't gotten anything yet but they said I should get the number in 72 hours.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Holy Moly! In SF Bay Area (w/ population of over 3.5 million), the only GE center is at SFO.
Just scheduled an interview... MARCH 2017!!!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Holy Moly! In SF Bay Area (w/ population of over 3.5 million), the only GE center is at SFO.

As has been suggested before, keep checking back. Appointment dates open up.

And heck, in the entire state of New Mexico there is only ONE GE center, at the Albuquerque airport.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, I had the same problem, David. I decried it in post #148. My solution is that I made an appointment at Chicago O'Hare for when we're visiting in October -- after getting back from the foreign trip that I wanted GE for.

And heck, in the entire state of New Mexico there is only ONE GE center, at the Albuquerque airport.

Per Google:
Population of New Mexico: 2.08 million
Population of Northern California: 14.57 million

Each has just one GE center. Both facts are a disgrace, but one for all of NorCal is a much bigger disgrace, IMNSHO.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
As has been suggested before, keep checking back. Appointment dates open up.

Every time slot is taken until Feb 2017, then only at 7am for a month, then not until late March for a back-to-back at 9PM for the 2 of us. Checking back is sort of unrealistic - we are only planning to travel once before then, but still...
We should have gone with TSApre only.

You would think there would be one in San Jose/Silicon Valley area (Santa Clara Co.) considering the amount of travel is done by people/employees living there. Santa Clara county alone at ~1.8M almost has almost as many people as New Mexico (~2.1M). I speculate that the number people flying to/from SFO/OAK/SJC far exceed most areas that have more access to GE centers.
seems odd...

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just mention one hitch that can occur with global entry. Just went through the Miami airport. Global entry sped me through immigration , no sweat. Second to reach the baggage carosel. Bags came out almost dead last. Almost everyone beat me. If I had needed to make a tight connection would have never made it. Bottom line , global entry only gets you so far in the airport process.

PS - My bags were tagged priority . My experience is that only gets my luggage to the carosel first about half of the time.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Update on my experience with all this

Spouse and I applied a week apart back in early August for the Nexus program, which not only gives faster in/out of Canada from the U.S., but also TSA-Pre and Global Entry, for half the cost of the TSA-Pre program alone. Win-win.

Two months later we were notified one day apart we'd been conditionally approved, and we should schedule our interviews. The GOES website offered us an appointment at their Blaine, Washington center (a few miles South of the I-5 border crossing to BC) for the very next morning. :eek: Talk about "no line no waiting...)

We were in Hawaii at the time, so I scheduled the appointment for this past Friday morning. We walked in, took the next number from the little ticket machine thing, and as I was removing the ticket, the agent called our number. Seriously - we didn't even have time to sit down.

We turned in our appropriate paperwork (the conditional approval letter, our passports, driver's licenses, and birth certificates), and sat down in the waiting area. Not five minutes later we were called to go to a joint kiosk in the interview area.

At that kiosk we talked to the American guy first, who verified our information, asked a few questions, took digital fingerprints, and a photo. ("Unlike with your passport, yes, you can smile.")

He directed us to his Canadian counterpart, who was sitting right next to him. The guy said, "I already heard all your answers, so no need to repeat yourself." He asked one or two other questions, handed back our papers, and said we were all done. Easy breezy.

The one thing they suggested we do is hop over to the border crossing to get a retinal scan for Global Entry. He said it speeds up the process when we use the program. We were fine with that, so we did. Similarly fast experience, no line, and we were done in just a few minutes.

The whole thing was painless, easy, and frankly, kind of amazing that the bureaucracy from two governments would be so speedy. We were impressed.

Cards should be in the mail in a few days. It's a done deal. :banana::clap:

(If you're in the Pacific Northwest, and your interview appointment is months away, you may want to look at scheduling things at this Blaine office. It's right at Exit 270 off of I-5, if you're driving up.)

Dave

Last edited:

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, Here's MY Experience

Applied for GE back in May, in anticipation of using it for re-entry to the US after our Japan trip in Oct. Our itinerary: SFO to KIX (Osaka) in mid-Oct, NRT (Tokyo) to ORD (Chicago) Oct 27 for Mom's 95th birthday, then domestic back to SFO on Oct 31.

As noted, there was NO slot at SFO for the final interview until Jan 2017. So, since we'd be in Chicago anyway, I set up the interview there for 10/28. Since we wouldn't have GE to speed our way back, I did the next best thing and downloaded Mobile Passport.

I filled out the Mobile Passport app online while plane was still on the runway. We get into ORD, and see the ~20-something normal lines and ~4 GE lines. Where to go for Mobile Passport? After being passed from agent to agent, we find out that the one agent at ORD that's supposed to service Mobile Passport decided to take the day off. So back to the regular lines. From that point, it only took an additional 20 minutes, so not too bad. But WTH?

Our interview appointment on 10/28 went quickly and efficiently. We were in and out in 15 minutes. I was hoping to get final approval in time to use PreCheck for the domestic trip back to SFO on 10/31. Due to illness we had to reschedule our return for 11/2. But still no approval.

At this point, my wife has finally received her final approval for Global Entry and even got her ID card in the mail. For some unknown reason, my approval still hasn't been processed. I don't know if that's just bureaucratic inefficiency or something else. They did have a problem with the fingerprint scanner and had to rescan my prints. Don't know if that's related.

Overall, I have to give the whole process a D grade. And that's generous. GE for entry to the US: fail. Mobile Passport: fail. Getting the KTN for using PreCheck for domestic return: fail.

I'm not impressed. I think it's been a waste of time and money.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
At this point, my wife has finally received her final approval for Global Entry and even got her ID card in the mail. For some unknown reason, my approval still hasn't been processed. I don't know if that's just bureaucratic inefficiency or something else. They did have a problem with the fingerprint scanner and had to rescan my prints. Don't know if that's related.

There was someone else I know who had this problem. She was approved almost immediately and her husband was not. They had gone for their appointments at the same time so couldn't figure out what the issue was. After much scrambling around they discovered that his application hadn't been completed and they had to go back to the office where they had their appointments to get that done. I sure hope that isn't the case for you. When dh and I had our appointments we both got approval by email within an hour. I was able to use my GE for a flight I had about a week later by just going into my reservation and entering my KTN. I didn't need the card at all.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There was someone else I know who had this problem. She was approved almost immediately and her husband was not. They had gone for their appointments at the same time so couldn't figure out what the issue was. After much scrambling around they discovered that his application hadn't been completed and they had to go back to the office where they had their appointments to get that done. I sure hope that isn't the case for you. When dh and I had our appointments we both got approval by email within an hour. I was able to use my GE for a flight I had about a week later by just going into my reservation and entering my KTN. I didn't need the card at all.

Thanks Luanne. How the heck did she find that out? I've looked over the web site and can't find any phone contact information. It's like a black hole - no way to inquire about the status at all, as far as I can see. Can you find out how your friend got her status? Thanks.

ETA - I filled out an email inquiry, which then said that the response time is 2 to 3 weeks! But it included a phone contact number. Which, when dialed, fails to go through -- "try again later". Again, not impressed with our government.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks Luanne. How the heck did she find that out? I've looked over the web site and can't find any phone contact information. It's like a black hole - no way to inquire about the status at all, as far as I can see. Can you find out how your friend got her status? Thanks.

I'll have to see if I can find the posts. It was someone who posted on another message site I use. I know she had a terrible time, had the same issues with finding someone to call. I can't remember if they just bit the bullet and went back to the center where they'd had the interviews. When they checked his status online I think it kept saying pending and showed his appointment (which had been in the past). I'm going to check now and see if I can find those posts.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Okay, I found the posts. To summarize she did find some phone numbers, but was never able to get through. One only gave her a fast busy. She also tried sending an email, but no response.

This was the final post with how they resolved the issue. Unfortunately they did have to go back to where the interviews were done.

"We drove to the Houston airport this morning to find out what happened to DH's application. There were hardly any people waiting there. When we went for the interview on a Saturday it was packed. They've added weekend interviews to deal with the backlog. DH spoke to an agent who I think was the supervisor. He took DH back to his office to look at his file. As we suspected, the application was never finalized. The agent wasn't sure why but he pressed a few buttons and voila! and it was done! Such a simple solution but so maddening that it wasn't done right the first time. Before we left the building we received an email confirming the completion of his application. He should receive his card next week but even if we don't get that, we have the # he is supposed to use and it's tied to his passport."