• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Global Entry Program/Pre-Check [Split from screaming woman thread]

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We couldn't get into SFO either before our international trip, so we went on an extra vacation to San Diego and completed the process there. I also agree they should open up interview centers in either san jose or oakland.

Sent from my KFSAWI using Tapatalk

Isn't the TSA having problems with staffing? That might be the reason there aren't more centers.

Last edited:

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We couldn't get into SFO either before our international trip, so we went on an extra vacation to San Diego and completed the process there. I also agree they should open up interview centers in either san jose or oakland.

What I don't understand is that many employees where I work have TWIC cards (transportation workers ID) in order to operate our research ship in international waters. I could get one if I wanted. The interview location for that is in Oakland, and is not backed up nearly as badly. Since it's also a part of Homeland Security, I don't understand why they can't use that.

Also, how ridiculous to go to the expense of extra airfares, hotels, etc, just to complete the process!

In any event, if hopefully my wife's application comes through soon, I may set up an interview at O'Hare. We're going there for my Mom's 95th birthday at the END of our Japan trip in October. So it would do no good for that trip, but since we're flying into O'Hare for that anyway, it would make some sense. What I'm trying to figure out is how long to leave from the scheduled plane arrival, to go through customs etc without the GE card, to then schedule the GE interview. I'm thinking that probably 2 hours should be enough time. Though I'd then worry about the plane being late. I could schedule it for the following day, but again it would involve an extra 45 minute trip each way to the airport. So I'd hope to do it on arrival.

What a huge PITA!

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a great chart.

Yes, agree.

It's easy to think in overlapping terms when thinking of CBP and TSA as they are both a part of Homeland Security. Customs has been around since the 1700s in some shape or form. The Border part came later in the 1920s if I read the story correctly.

-

-

Last edited:

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
What I don't understand is that many employees where I work have TWIC cards (transportation workers ID) in order to operate our research ship in international waters. I could get one if I wanted. The interview location for that is in Oakland, and is not backed up nearly as badly. Since it's also a part of Homeland Security, I don't understand why they can't use that.

Also, how ridiculous to go to the expense of extra airfares, hotels, etc, just to complete the process!

In any event, if hopefully my wife's application comes through soon, I may set up an interview at O'Hare. We're going there for my Mom's 95th birthday at the END of our Japan trip in October. So it would do no good for that trip, but since we're flying into O'Hare for that anyway, it would make some sense. What I'm trying to figure out is how long to leave from the scheduled plane arrival, to go through customs etc without the GE card, to then schedule the GE interview. I'm thinking that probably 2 hours should be enough time. Though I'd then worry about the plane being late. I could schedule it for the following day, but again it would involve an extra 45 minute trip each way to the airport. So I'd hope to do it on arrival.

What a huge PITA!

O'hare is unpredictable. I've waited over an hour and only 15 minutes for. Interviews for my kids last November. We watched several people leave because they were worried about their connection. The interview itself is quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
O'hare is unpredictable. I've waited over an hour and only 15 minutes for. Interviews for my kids last November. We watched several people leave because they were worried about their connection. The interview itself is quick.

Thanks Canesfan. My wife's pre-approval came in yesterday, so now I'm ready to schedule the interview. I'm still on the fence -- do I schedule it for arrival day, when we'll be there anyway, for 2 hours after the plane is scheduled to land? Or do I play it safe and schedule it for the next day, and just put up with the extra 45 minutes each way to the airport?

Any advice anyone? Thanks.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
If you are flying from Tokoyo, I think there is too much that can go wrong to delay you. Personally, since you are waiting all the way to October and doing it somewhere else I'd do it the next day. Why risk missing the appointment and not being able to communicate to them?

Last edited:

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for talking some sense into me, Canesfan. The voice of reason. Now I just need to figure out a time, considering the time change and jet lag.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to talk with someone a couple of days after the 30 day mark. They informed me that my fingerprints were not of sufficient quality, and requested a name search from the FBI. I was told that this could take an additional 90 days. Interestingly, I got my approval and KTN two days later.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You got me thinking, too.

This link has an easy to understand graph. The agency category headings are helpful.

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart

It is a great chart. What it does not highlight is if you get a NEXUS entry for Canada, It comes with a FREE Global Entry.

If you purchase a Global Entry it does not come with a FREE NEXUS.

So if you live near a Canadian office / Border Crossing that can do NEXUS, that is the way to go and get both for Half the price of GE alone.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
It is a great chart. What it does not highlight is if you get a NEXUS entry for Canada, It comes with a FREE Global Entry.

If you purchase a Global Entry it does not come with a FREE NEXUS.

So if you live near a Canadian office / Border Crossing that can do NEXUS, that is the way to go and get both for Half the price of GE alone.

Thanks - I didn't know this! Very useful for us.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I was able to talk with someone a couple of days after the 30 day mark. They informed me that my fingerprints were not of sufficient quality, and requested a name search from the FBI. I was told that this could take an additional 90 days. Interestingly, I got my approval and KTN two days later.

I'm curious. Was this for TSA Precheck or Global Entry?

Were they able to scan your fingerprints during your interview?

When I had my interview they had problems scanning my fingerprints, but I guess they were acceptable as I was approved within an hour after the interview.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was for TSA Precheck. They did scan my fingerprints during the interview. I was told to look online for my approval within a couple days of my interview even though the letter would not come for 30 days. I kept checking, and finally called after the 30 day mark.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We went to the local office yesterday, and today we have emails saying we can retrieve our KTN via the check status on the website. Less than 24 hours is pretty fast!

It was easy to add the KTN into our profiles at Southwest.com. :cheer:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm still seeing pending approval on the site for my application. I'm starting to give up hope that my application will ever get approved.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still seeing pending approval on the site for my application. I'm starting to give up hope that my application will ever get approved.

You should give them a call to see what the hang up is. Maybe it fell through the cracks.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We went to the local office yesterday, and today we have emails saying we can retrieve our KTN via the check status on the website. Less than 24 hours is pretty fast!

It was easy to add the KTN into our profiles at Southwest.com. :cheer:

Even though you've added the KTN to your profiles be sure to also go in and add it to any current reservations you have. Also, even though it should automatically populate when you make a new reservation, it's always good to check. This applies to all airlines, not just SW.

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I was granted TSA Precheck and never did anything for it. I was surprised the first time I flew overseas and was told me and my family were all Precheck approved...we just flew out of country in June and same thing. This has happened 3 years in a row for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have to say that I was granted TSA Precheck and never did anything for it. I was surprised the first time I flew overseas and was told me and my family were all Precheck approved...we just flew out of country in June and same thing. This has happened 3 years in a row for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Your experience is not unusual.

For awhile TSA Precheck was given out at random. Some people seemed to get it all the times, for others it was more sporadic. We finally signed up for Global Entry when I got Precheck and dh didn't.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
TSA pre- check approval

:clap:WOW!!:cheer:

Filled out the application for TSA pre-check yesterday. Went to our temporary application center (only open for 3 weeks) as a walk in. Was in and out in less than 20 minutes.

Received emails early this morning with our KTN's. The woman who took our information said it would take up to 30 days.

Totally amazed at the speed with which this was approved!:banana:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We got TSA Pre-check with Nexus/Global Entry this year, and it's been so worth it considering we've been flying a bit more this year.

We just came back from Boston on Virgin America who had their own TSA screening line (no Pre-check). Having Pre-check on my boarding pass allowed us to keep my shoes on thru the detector, but we still had to take out all my liquids from my carry-on.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We got TSA Pre-check with Nexus/Global Entry this year, and it's been so worth it considering we've been flying a bit more this year.

We just came back from Boston on Virgin America who had their own TSA screening line (no Pre-check). Having Pre-check on my boarding pass allowed us to keep my shoes on thru the detector, but we still had to take out all my liquids from my carry-on.

Please explain how you got PreCheck with both Nexus/Global Entry. I thought you could get either Global Entry OR Nexus, but not something that combined both.