• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Going for first visit timeshare presentation

Mamaof4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
hi all we are new to
This and I have about this site on another site... wanted some guidance as I read they are pushy but when you are armed with TUG info
They kinda leave you all and don't make you stay 2-3 hours... especially if you wear the t-shirt. We are going to Williamsburg and wanted some pointers .. I will have 2 lo with me ;)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Don't ask a lot of questions and try not to seem interested. I still think the best thing is to not go at all. :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Don't ask a lot of questions and try not to seem interested. I still think the best thing is to not go at all. :)
Rick is right. Remember, the sales weasels are professional sharks. They prey on people like yourself who love a vacation destination like Williamsburg and envision themselves having wonderful vacations there with their families. They will tell you that the supply of timeshare units is scarce, and that they have a one-time offer that expires as soon as you walk out the door. They will tell you how easily a timeshare purchase can be financed, and they will show you beautiful pictures of all the places you can trade into around the world. For a newbie, you're like a lamb to the slaughter. How do I know? Because I was one. There are many here who took the wise step of waiting, finding TUG, reading the BBS boards here, and then buying on the resale market for pennies on the dollar. And there are many like me who bought their first timeshare on the retail market and took a huge financial hit when we sold it.

All that said, one thing they tell you is true: you can and will definitely have some wonderful family vacations at a place you love. Just don't buy from the sales weasels, and learn all you can here first.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Be careful to not engage them any form of argument. Simply asking questions of their story could be interpreted, by sales, as a challenge. They will win most arguments as they have prepared "answers" to nearly every imaginable "buyer objection." It is their very job to dismantle objections and quietly sweep them under a carpet.

I agree w/ Cindy's advice above: Best not to go. If you must go, do not ask questions. Sit as silently as possible and have a timer running on your phone or watch. When the mandated time is up -- be sure an alarm rings. Good luck.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We just sit & listen politely, nodding our heads now & then (with just a slight rolling motion added), saying as little as possible during the talk, then saying No Thank You when the pitch is done & the moment of truth arrives.

Often it is necessary to say No Thank You over & over, as they reduce their prices, offer other products, or otherwise attempt to get a sale -- particularly when they bring over closers & managers & supervisors & quality control people, etc.

Sometimes the high-pressure & arm-twisting might veer over into psychological manipulation & guilt-tripping. A pushy timeshare seller might ask, "Why are you even here if you're not interested in what we're offering?"

To that, the truthful answer is, "I'm here because your marketing department invited me to attend a 90-minute no-obligation presentation & receive a nice gift. Do you have a problem with that? If so, take it up with your marketing department."

Eventually they will realize they have reached the end of the road, sign off on your gift chit, & send you over to the freebies window.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with the Rick & Cindy's advice. I second the advice to say almost NOTHING ... and if you can set an alarm on your cell phone, do so.

And say, that is your alarm for a business call in 10 minutes with your boss or a highly valued customer or a 90 year old parent or a expectant daughter with her first child.

AND truly be prepared to leave ... up out of the seat with your personal stuff in hand ... walking out the door. And be ready to say, "Excuse Me" several times, getting louder each time.

You see, your greed for that $75 or $100 or $125+ gift card is their chain .... walk away loudly stating, "We been here 90 minutes and I HAVE TO GO ... Please get me my GIFT CARD or was your $75 offer a SCAM!"

And if your spouse is with you, have them say "You warned me this meeting was a SCAM! Let's go." Women's higher pitched voice carry better. Men's deep voices carry more authority ... and are more threatening.

I sometimes use to a very unlady like word or two... esp if they think they can just block me from leaving their 'zone of control'.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If at all possible, don't go. They can be very pushy, and then try to make you feel bad that they have wasted time trying to sell you a week. They will send Manager over to talk, then a higher up manager and then act nasty when you go to leave. If you are going because they offered you a free stay don't let them guilt you into buying. Tell them you want to enjoy the resort and that your time is valuable not to spend a good part of the day there.
Good Luck!
Silentg

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
So now that you have an approach in mind ... what are you really facing? Please prepare yourself to deal with some heart issues at the sales table. The product and their offer ($) will likely be attractive, desirable and deeply tempting. Indeed, timeshare can be a very good thing: lots of space in large units; kitchen; laundry; "become part of our family"; VIP-perks; etc. They are selling an attractive product; it is very natural to want the product, the lifestyle, the locked-in future vacations, etc.

Guilt. If they can't win you over via desire -- they may try the guilt avenue as mentioned above. The angle may be one of "wasting their time" or "letting down your spouse" or "letting down your family." Prepare yourself to say, "Hogwash!" to each of those ploys. If attending as a couple, do not allow them to play one off the other.

Secret knowledge. One tactic may be to discredit everything you've heard or read from your trusted internet forums. Once they've got you second guessing your "expert base" they will start dangling secrets you can only learn from them. Most of these are about unwritten changes coming down the pipeline that will seriously damage all the old methods causing everyone to buy "new" from the developer again to be reinstated. Again, "Hogwash!"

Take away. If you don't buy today, directly from the developer, you won't ever get <name a feature>, <name a location>, <name a holiday reservation period>, etc. The 'take away' tool creates motivation to "protect what is yours" even before you own it. Once you start to protect it, your mind has already jumped over the hurdles of buying it ... it is "yours" in your mind. Signing the paperwork is simply a formality. If the conversation goes down this path, think of giant red flag and remember this thread!

Confusion. Developer math is a special study. Yep, developer math can justify huge purchases! If you can't follow the numbers as quickly as they are working them, ask to take the sheet home for a day or two to review. Don't sign a contract agreeing to buy before your study. Insist on reviewing those numbers thoroughly before signing anything.

Be prepared for psychological sales tactics. These folks are experts. If pressure works, they'll use pressure. If sweet talk works, they lay on the flattery. They'll figure out your weak spot and use it against you. You've been warned. Good luck!

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I love this thread. If I'd only been able to read this back in 2007 before I bought Westin Princeville from the developer. This ought to be a sticky all to itself for any newbie looking to buy their first timeshare.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
This ought to be a sticky all to itself for any newbie looking to buy their first timeshare.

I wouldn't necessarily say a sticky for someone looking to buy a first TS. I would say a sticky for people who are going to their first sales presentation and not sure what to expect.

I'm sure most of us here who have gone to one of these presentations, the first one was something way beyond what they expected.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the advice to say almost NOTHING ... and if you can set an alarm on your cell phone, do so.

While doing so might not hurt, I don't think it would help either. The last one we were at (and probably the last one we will ever go to), I set my timer for 60 minutes. After the 60 minutes were up, I had to keep reminding the sales people of it. They ignored my statements like a speck of dust 100 feet away. Actually, that's wrong. One of the sales people said firmly and rather rudely well after the 60 minutes were up "The presentation is over when I say it is over."

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
To each their own of course, but I personally view timeshare presentations as a complete waste of valuable time; time that you will never get back.
Are those discount coupons / gift cards really worth enduring the psychological assault and pummeling by those deceitful, hungry sales weasels? :ponder:

Last edited:

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
"One of the sales people said firmly and rather rudely well after the 60 minutes were up "The presentation is over when I say it is over."

That's when I would have gotten up and walked out. Our most infuriating was with a Hilton (yrs. ago). We got suckered in on a free stay, the 1 1/2 hr. went past 2 hrs. When they asked what would it take to buy in, like an idiot I told them 2 plane tickets and a 2 wk. stay in Tahiti. They had the nerve to say "NO PROBLEM" that's when the BS talked....and I walked :rolleyes:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
To each their own of course, but I personally view timeshare presentations as a complete waste of valuable time; time that you will never get back.
Are the discount coupons / gift cards really worth enduring the psychological assault and pummeling by those deceitful, hungry sales weasels? :ponder:
Like AND agree!!

seigl13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas
hi all we are new to
This and I have about this site on another site... wanted some guidance as I read they are pushy but when you are armed with TUG info
They kinda leave you all and don't make you stay 2-3 hours... especially if you wear the t-shirt. We are going to Williamsburg and wanted some pointers .. I will have 2 lo with me ;)
Don't do it.....don't go! I wish I had never gotten suckered in by their free offers when we were in Vegas 6 years ago!