TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Going to Edinburgh and London in September - should I use Verizon cell phone plan?

Discussion in 'European Timesharing' started by glenmore, Jul 21, 2017.

1. glenmore

glenmore Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Have been reading through the forums here but am still a bit confused.

Is it ok to take my iphone 7 and iphone 7 plus and use Verizon $10/day plan for use in Edinburgh and London?

Just want the phone mainly for photos, texting and calls within the UK (if there is a change of plans for car pickup, or question for hotel, etc.)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Deb from NC

Deb from NC TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

We just got back from England and used a Verizon plan that gave us 100 minutes of cell phone use, 100 texts ( but texts between iPhones weren't counted against you)
    and 1 gig of data ( I think) for $ 40 for 1 month. We were in England 2 weeks and went $ 25 over on the data, but it was still less expensive for us than their $10 a day plan. You might want to ask them about it...depending on how much you plan to use your phone it might be a better deal for you.

3. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn
    We just got back from England Monday. I have the Verizon $10 per day plan and it didn't work well for me. I was told that I would get a notice when the 24 hours began and 1 hour before it expired. But I never got a notice that it began. Then, thinking I had not used it, I would get a notice that it would expire in 1 hour! It seems that when I turned on my phone and signed in to free hotel wifi, my iPhone would start pulling something or another during the seconds before I could connect to the wifi. Had I received a starting notice, I would have used the phone liberally during that 24 hour period! I ended up paying for about 7 days. Apparently I didn't understand how to set up the phone so that I could use free wifi and not cellular. Sigh.

4. glenmore

Appreciate the replies!

5. Tamino

Tamino Guest

The T Mobile plan of free data and $0.20 per minute calls to the US works very well. I may not be the only one who thinks that $10 per day is outrageous. Consider purchasing an inexpensive pre paid SIM such as those offered by Lebara. You will be able to keep in contact and make local for a lot less overall expense.

LisaH likes this.
  6. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

Yep. T-mobile rocks. We switched from AT&T to T-Mobile last year just for international travel.

7. VacationForever

VacationForever TUG Member

I learned it the hard way too. In future, step one, turn off data roaming, step 2, turn on airplane mode. I had turned on airplane mode but could not turn data roaming off after that. It is the data roaming that is on that makes the network think that your phone is using the network and Verizon will charge $10 per day.

Glynda likes this.
  8. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn
    Thanks! It was a three week trip and I figured it out after the first week in London! I thought about complaining to Verizon because I did not get a notice that my 24 hours had begun and I assume that they could easily see that I had not made calls, texts and the data was limited. But alas, I didn't. I just paid and learned my lesson. I would add to your steps that in order to use free wifi, after turning on Airplane Mode you then have to go to settings and turn wifi on individually. Our teenaged granddaughter learned on the trip too that using the paid Celebrity ship's wifi required her to go back to Safari and log out of it. Just turning off her phone or turning on Airplane Mode did not log her out and she lost a lot of her minutes. She's cute; she said, "Isn't free Wifi a basic human right?"

9. glenmore

So, is the advice to buy a inexpensive unlocked phone on eBay and buy a SIM card in Edinburgh??

I have Verizon so cannot use T-mobile--correctly? Where I live, Verizon works the best

10. VacationForever

VacationForever TUG Member

Ditto. We learned it the hard way when we were on Celebrity in April and May of this year. But we do think Verizon's $10 a day is really cost effective.

11. pwrshift

pwrshift TUG Member

Suggest you message jme (Marty) about your trip...he was really into Scotland.

Brian

12. lorenmd

lorenmd TUG Member

my daughter is there now for three months. she got a Sim card once she arrived for her Verizon iPhone and it works great. she calls me on WhatsApp mostly though and text on wifi but for other times she bought 6 GB data/month unlimited texting and they gave her a British cell phone number. was way cheaper than Verizon. it's what the universities have their students get when they do study abroad

13. glenmore

I talked to Verizon today. The Travel Pass plan starts on the day you text, make a call or use wifi (out of the country) and is good for 24 hours straight. You don't get an email when you start (I was told) but should get one an hour before your 24 hours are up. Will set a reminder on phone to remind me!

Keep it in airplane mode until you want/need to use it

My husband suggested taking our Kindles for hotel wifi to surf, check email etc. That should cut out the issue of being charged during the moments connecting to hotel wifi

Will see how it goes!

14. tashamen

tashamen TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
    We also switched (but from US Cellular) to T-Mobile and their $60 unlimited plan for 2 lines for those 55 and over. We're going to Edinburgh next month and expect our phones will work fine.

15. JudyH

JudyH TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

All right folks, this is easy. Go to a local phone store, get a SIM card for your phone. All Verizon Iphones are unlocked. Have the store set up the phone. I get a one month prepaid card, with 2-4 GB of data. I mostly care about data, for google maps, trip advisor restaurants, local info. In United Kingdom, I got the Three sim card. The stores are all over. Look for them and get some addresses before you leave the US.

Now, I don't call home hardly at all, or text home. Some local sim cards don't let the 30 day prepaid plan call the US or out of the country. That's not important to me cause I have Plan B . I have a MOBAL flip phone that I bought years ago. The company is in the US. The phone has a UK sim card and can be used all over the world, except the US. They keep my CC on file and it is about $1.50 a minute to call US. I only use it for emergencies, but I leave it turned on all the time while traveling in case someone from the US tries to call me..my family has the # www.Mobal.com

Like an above caller, I could not get Verizon International to work even though I had made all the arrangements with them ahead. The bank had sent me a fraud alert and said to call them. So I had to use the MOBAL phone for this.

mpumilia likes this.
  16. mpumilia

mpumilia Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    We have the MOBAL flip phone as well and used it in Scotland a few times with no issues.

17. isisdave

isisdave TUG Member

If the family has your MOBAL number, you can tell them to try you first on Viber or Skype or WhatsApp or FaceTime or ... all data apps.

Some folks buy a cheap non-smart phone; when you put the new SIM for EE into your main phone, you can put your US one into the cheap phone and check it occasionally. There are dual-SIM phones too; BLU makes a lot of them. Until recently there wasn't free international roaming in the EU so people who were frequently in two countries would use these.

One problem I discovered with the approach of keeping your US phone active: I live in Pacific Time. Friends who don't know you're 8 hours later ... and of course junk callers ... will call in the middle of your night. We shut off the ringer at bedtime. There isn't any problem we can solve from here better than they can solve from there.

18. bevans

bevans TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
    My wife and I are in Europe for two months and bought a BLU smart phone from Mobal and it works great. At times the GPS in the Peugeot we rented does not do well when we get close to our destination and we use the BLU to get us the final distance. I wondered if we can use this phone with our Verizon service when we get home if we get a USA sim. My wife lost her I Phone so when we get home we either have to get another Verizon phone or perhaps use the BLU? Curt

19. Bill4728

Bill4728 Moderator

I sure like the idea of using a non phone to surf the web ( kindle or Ipad)

We took a completed different approach to calling in the UK we brought our magicJack it allows calls over wifi and not use our cell's data

20. isisdave

isisdave TUG Member

Magic Jack also has an app for your phone or other device that lets you make calls over wifi without actually connecting the MJ device.

After one or two times where we couldn't access the router to plug in the MJ, we mostly use this approach now (although we do also have a wifi bridge that lets us get a physical Ethernet connection from wifi signal). If you use the plug-in MJ, what phone do you use with it?

21. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    I have a BLU phone and they are unlocked so you can use them on many different providers by just buying a new SIM.

I use mine when I go to UK with EE SIM and a pay as you go plan. Its easy to top up minutes/data at any convenience store with the TopUp sign.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk