• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Going to Rockland, Maine by Auto- How Far Away From Boston Does One Need To Stay?

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Headed north via I-81 and I intend to avoid New York City but how far away from Boston do I need to travel?

I am traveling I-81 to I-84. Then I will choose my route on how far away from Boston that I need to be to avoid all the traffic issues. Thank you!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Where are you starting?

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Headed to Samoset Resort. That noted, where we will stay during our trip up depends upon the guidance given re how far away from Boston that we need to drive to avoid the traffic issues. We are departing from Va.
Thanks for your thoughts!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
For less traffic, you might try I-84 only to the Taconic State Parkway north in NY(old style turnpike) and take that to 90 (Mass Pike-toll). Get off on I-495 and merge into I-95 in NH. If you decide to stay on I-84 you may encounter heavy traffic near Danbury and even worse traffic with sporadic stop and go around Waterbury (current construction including night and overnight detours) with more heavy traffic near Hartford.
Once on the Maine Pike/95 you might want to get off at Brunswick which is a bit east of Portland. We took route 1 to Portland once on the way back from Maine- nice ride but takes much more time. If you do it, stop at Moody's Diner (world famous for what I don't know) and if you like lobster rolls look for Red's in Wiscassett. Traffic will be a problem at some time coming or going no matter what routes you take. We once drove from CT to NH without hitting the highways and from there into a Maine destination all off highway. Took a lot of time and didn't have great scenes- but no heavy traffic.

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We agree on the Taconic, as a route. We hate I-84 thru CT. And the western end of the Mass Pike is smoother now with all electronic tolls.

Unfortunately, when comparing I-495 with I-95, both going around Boston, they can both be just as bad. If it isn't during rush hour, I prefer I-95, as it seems shorter. DH prefers 495.

We live in Maine, and frequently take these roads on trips.

Nkn

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your thoughts and directions!

Since the South does not have any (or many) toll roads ( I recall being on a short toll road near Orlando once), what is the cost and I presume one needs the correct change for electronic tolls? Perhaps a roll of quarters or a stash of one dollar bills? Our parkways are free of tolls as is our local National Park, The Great Smoky Mountains.
Again thank you all for the guidance as I am hopeful to avoid as much heavy traffic as is possible.

By the way, how congested should Hwy 1 be in June in Maine?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thanks to all for your thoughts and directions!

Since the South does not have any (or many) toll roads ( I recall being on a short toll road near Orlando once), what is the cost and I presume one needs the correct change for electronic tolls? Perhaps a roll of quarters or a stash of one dollar bills? Our parkways toll free of tolls as is our local National Park, The Great Smoky Mountains.
Again thank you all for the guidance as I am hopeful to avoid as much heavy traffic as is possible.

By the way, how congested should Hwy 1 be in June in Maine?

I don't remember what the tolls are, but you will need to keep cash (dollar bills) for them. In Mass. I think some are like $3.00. Most of the tolls are EZPASS- electronic- but they have some CASH booths that are manned so you can receive change back if necessary.

Route 1 is always crowded. Can't avoid it anytime once the nice weather is here.

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live 3 miles from Samoset, once you are close and on Route 1 North, take a left onto State Route 90, it cuts off major construction in Warren/Thomaston going on. Route 90 takes you back to Route 1 in Rockport, the head South a few miles to Samoset.

It's 80 degrees today, enjoy.

NKN

TUG Member
Reaction score
CLARIFICATION NEEDED : The Mass PIKE is now ALL ELECTRONIC TOLLS. There are NO TOLL BOOTHS. They supposedly photo your plate, confirm with your state of residence and send you a bill in the mail.

Alternatively, sign up for EZPass, which covers the east coast from Maine to Georgia (?). And Florida is joining it soon.

nkn

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Can't access my EZPass account, but I think the tolls I pay using the I-84 to 90 to 495 to 95/Maine Pike came out to $11 0r $13 total (1 way). Coming on the Taconic to Maine Pike start would be $ 3 or so more and you may cut off a dollar on the Maine Pike. This was based on what I remember from last year.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
The new pay by plate option for Mass. has a $ 2.95 invoice charge, however by setting up an account and prepaying it can be avoided. Not sure if this applies to other states like NH and Maine.

read about it : ttps://www.ezdrivema.com/paybyplatema

NKN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maine and New Hampshire still have toll booths but use EZPass for the most part.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
CLARIFICATION NEEDED : The Mass PIKE is now ALL ELECTRONIC TOLLS. There are NO TOLL BOOTHS. They supposedly photo your plate, confirm with your state of residence and send you a bill in the mail.

Alternatively, sign up for EZPass, which covers the east coast from Maine to Georgia (?). And Florida is joining it soon.

nkn

You know- I was thinking that, but I couldn't remember and I thought they had a cash lane. But- right- they have the cameras now.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I hadn't hear Florida was joining EZ pass? I know Sun pass goes into the Carolinas? More info please?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would take I-84 (East) to I-90 (East, Mass Tnpk) to I-495 (north) to I-95 (North) to Rockland.

SBtS

This sounds good. You could also switch up I90 with I290. All options are about the same and all of them still have issues with traffic. Going through on weekends or avoiding commuter hours is best.

When we look to avoid going through Boston - we typically will take 495 around it.

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great information to have so thanks to all!

That said, it appears that toll roads are just about everywhere. So please clarify my understanding- since we will not have a pass of any type, then I should have dollar bills to pay to a manned booth or perhaps an unmanned electronic booth that I simply drop the dollars into?

For unmanned electronic booths do I need coins to drop into the machines?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Great information to have so thanks to all!

That said, it appears that toll roads are just about everywhere. So please clarify my understanding- since we will not have a pass of any type, then I should have dollar bills to pay to a manned booth or perhaps an unmanned electronic booth that I simply drop the dollars into?

For unmanned electronic booths do I need coins to drop into the machines?

The unmanned booths/toll areas you can only drive through and a camera will take a picture of your license plate and send you a bill. with an additional fee I believe. For others- you have to get in the cash lane and pay the person there.

As someone else mentioned- you can apply for EZPASS on line if you think you will have enough time to receive the transponder in the mail. This way you can just prepay on line and put it in your car and you are all set.

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. So how does this work if the auto is a rental car?

Does the pass work for all the different state's toll roads or must you have a different pass for each state?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Here is some helpful information in that regard.

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-tips/posts/for-whom-the-road-tolls

We are renting a car in Colorado - just the one state-next month and all the tolls are cashless. After researching this issue- and with the help of Tuggers- we are going with the rental cars' system as we don't want to worry about what roads we are driving on just because of tolls. Not worth the hassle for the week.

Last edited:

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your comments and guidance!
Just arrived home from our vacation time at Samoset in Rockland/Rockport. It was a great visit!

For the record, we traveled up I-81 thru VA and Penn to I-88 in NY to state Hwys thru Vermont, New Hampshire and into Maine connecting with Hwy 1 around Portland. Great route to travel, recommended and we will travel this route again.

THE MISTAKE

Returning home we made a tragic error in judgement by traveling home via I-95 to I-495 to I-90 to I-84. NEVER AGAIN will I travel thru Mass and Conn. It was like driving around Atlanta on I-285 for 6 hours. Finally we got out of Conn and into NY!

Between the tolls, the very poor roads and mass traffic with drivers zig zagging around at 90 miles per hour or higher we had to seek refuge at the States welcome centers in Mass with the composting restrooms (Come on Mass with all the taxes surely you can install a sewer system?!) to the Conn center which only opened from 9 am to 330 pm??!! Per another traveler "perhaps we should not be in a place that must close at 330!".

In summary hats off to NY rural, VT, NH and the upper half of Maine! The rest of it, I now understand why most of them are trying to get out of there.

Last edited: