• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya questions

pghsportsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just exchanged into a 1 BR suite at the Grand Luxxe in Riviera Maya for our anniversary, and I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer...
1) Do the 1 BR suites have the plunge pools?
2) I've read some reviews that say you can't swim at the beach with the rocks and coral, is that true, or is there a place to get in the water?
3) Is the Cirque show good, my wife and I have seen quite a few and were thinking about going.
4) Does the resort offer any excursions off of the resort, or should we book prior to our trip?

Thanks! We have never been to this part of Mexico and are really looking forward to it

Scott

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
My wife and I just exchanged into a 1 BR suite at the Grand Luxxe in Riviera Maya for our anniversary, and I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer...
2) I've read some reviews that say you can't swim at the beach with the rocks and coral, is that true, or is there a place to get in the water?
3) Is the Cirque show good, my wife and I have seen quite a few and were thinking about going.
4) Does the resort offer any excursions off of the resort, or should we book prior to our trip?

Thanks! We have never been to this part of Mexico and are really looking forward to it

Scott
We stayed at the GM RM in Dec so can't speak to GL. I thought Cirque was great. My wife has seen several and said it was just OK. The dinner before at the restaurant by the theater was the best we had on property. I would recommend you try Alux restaurant in Playa. Look it up, very unique dining experience. Beach is pretty rocky and with lots of coral. Go to Puerto Morales (10 minute drive north). $10 to go snorkelling on the reef including guide and gear. Cute little town too with some good eats and little shops.

pghsportsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I'm guessing we will do the Cirque show, and it's good to know that it was pretty good and the meal was great. We will have to look into Puerto Morales and Alux, our trip is 71 days away, so we have some time to research!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
You will have a great deck with a dipping pool. Check my photos for 2014 and 2013. The 1-bedroom will be like the kitchen, dining area, and living room, with a 1/2 bath and full bath and a large bedroom with a king bed. The sliding door in the bedroom opens to the dipping pool.

We are going for our 50th anniversary next May. We have not been to the Riviera Maya in 10 years, but love it. We have been there 4 times since it opened, but when we moved to AZ, we stopped going in February and tend to extend our Thanksgiving vacation in Puerto Vallarta. But, I wanted to go back to RM so chose it for our anniversary trip.

I plan to splurge and do the Cirque show with dinner. I have heard it is good. Some say it is not as good as the ones in Vegas, but we have not seen those, so we should enjoy it.

Playa del Carmen is nice and Puerto Morales is really becoming a good tourist place to visit. You can take the ferry to Cozumel if you like from Playa del Carmen or Puerto Morales. Tulum is a great trip to see some Mayan Ruins. Xcaret or Xhelha are often tied to a day trip with Tulum.

You will enjoy your time at the resort and the area.

pghsportsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, my wife will be extremely happy that we will have the plunge pool. We don't plan on having a car, so I'm hoping to set up an excursion or two to see the Mayan ruins and some other things, I'm guessing they have some sort of activities desk to book them, but may look and see if I can find some cheaper before we head down there.

RJones

Reaction score
If youre a Luxxe guest, you will have access to the private beach on the property. Its decent.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will also have access to The Beach Club, an exclusive pool and lounge area.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If you are an exchanger, expect to be placed on the ground floor. We were told when there that only owners get the upper floors...where they can see over the trees. Ground floor units do have a plunge pool. You can expect the 1BR units to be the largest you have ever encountered. The dining is excellent, as is the pool area that is reserved for Grand Luxxe guests. But beware the sales force. They can be brutal with time and unethical in treating you. And if they promise you gifts (other than the on-site credit), do not expect to ever get them. Pizza delivery was tasty and not expensive. Can't speak for other things you might wish to have delivered to your unit. The do run free shuttles into town, but they can fill up, so check this out with the management. When we went (twice), they did provide free shuttle from the airport. Not sure that is still available.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
If you are an exchanger, expect to be placed on the ground floor. We were told when there that only owners get the upper floors...where they can see over the trees. Ground floor units do have a plunge pool ... .... they did provide free shuttle from the airport. Not sure that is still available.

Inbound free shuttle from airport to the resort is included in RM Vidanta exchanger fee of $ 11 pp/pd . Owners also get same .

rpennisi

Reaction score
If you are an exchanger, expect to be placed on the ground floor. We were told when there that only owners get the upper floors...where they can see over the trees. Ground floor units do have a plunge pool. You can expect the 1BR units to be the largest you have ever encountered. The dining is excellent, as is the pool area that is reserved for Grand Luxxe guests. But beware the sales force. They can be brutal with time and unethical in treating you. And if they promise you gifts (other than the on-site credit), do not expect to ever get them. Pizza delivery was tasty and not expensive. Can't speak for other things you might wish to have delivered to your unit. The do run free shuttles into town, but they can fill up, so check this out with the management. When we went (twice), they did provide free shuttle from the airport. Not sure that is still available.
We just got back from GL exchange in RM. Both times we exchanged, we got the ground floor one bedroom unit. We declined the "update" (just say no). What we liked about the ground floor unit was no waiting for the elevator and watching the packs of coatimundi go by our deck (all females and young ones, very cute to watch).
I don't think the shuttle to town is free. We were told 80 pesos per person. We did our grocery shopping at Jade this year. The wifi, included in the $11pp per day was pretty good, and available on the beach and at the pools.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have exchanged into this property 4 times-- GL level. We have gotten upper floors. We own timeshares at the a Royal Sands and the Royal Haciendas so we are in the area 2-3 times a year. If you go into Puerto Morales go to John Grey's Kitchen for dinner. It is exceptional. If you go to Alux, go for a drink. The venue is awesome but the food is mediocre at best. In Playa try El Fogon, across the street from the Magna grocery store on Constitionyes. Good hole in the wall taco stand. In addition to Xcaret, Tulum, Xel Hal for excursions Xplor is fun. Zip lining, kayaking, ate rides and swimming in cenotes. We enjoyed the Cirque show, the dinner before was good. Enjoy.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates

Scott

1. Yes
  2. You can but I had to wear water shoes because of coral. Once you get past a rough patch one can swim. In the afternoon the waves pick up and make it harder. But yes you can.
  3. We did not go but couples we met did and all liked it.
  4. Yes but at an additional price above what the street/online booking price. Depends on your level of adventure and comfort booking & navigating taxis/rental cars. I think you will be fine. We booked ours through resort.
  • We did Explor (zip-lines, ATVs, cavern swimming & boating) I would recommend if being active if your thing. Lots of fun.
  • We also did chichen itza. While totally amazing be prepared for a LONG day & bus ride.
    • Day started @ 7am and we did not get back to resort till 930pm.
    • Ruins were nice but 3 hour bus ride each way left something to be desired.
    • also we stopped at the bus tours restaurant (included in price) at the end of the day. While ok I would have preffered to get back 2.5 hours earlier.
  • I would go to Tulum vs. Chichen Itza, Its closer with 30 minute travel & its close to the eco-park. with snorkeling, tubing, etc. (This is on my list for next time.

You will love the resort, staff, and rooms. Take comfortable shoes and enjoy the walks through the jungle. Also ask when being assigned your room to not face the walk way/tram route. We did and this resulted in us hearing the tram roar by 7am - 1-2am (following day).

Ps. Do the breakfast buffet, its amazing and was by-far our favorite meal of the day and well worth the expense. $19 per person