TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Guidance please on purchasing HGVC 1800 points to reach Elite Premier staus

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by bluemax, Mar 18, 2017.

1. bluemax

bluemax TUG Member

We are HGVC Elite Plus member with 32200 points and short 1800 to get to 34000 level (ELITE PREMIER). Need advise on 1. Is Elite Premie benefits worth it and 2. What is lowest cost points (and maint fees) in HGVC inventory if I have to buy from developer? Sales guy at Sunrise Lodge wants to sell me 4200 points (Gold 2 bedroom) for $17K to get there but must believe there is better options. Also want to have option to upgrade in future if needed.

Thanks Ya'll

2. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVR Falls, GPR Seapointe, HGVC Lagoon, HGVC King's Land.
    If you are determined to get to the next level look at what you own. Pick the one with the highest maint fee per point cost and use that one to trade up. They will always give you what you paid to trade up. They usually want $15k-$25k of new money to trade. This way you won't add a new maint fee. If you have a 4800 one bedroom, trade up to a 7000 two bedroom at Las Vegas Boulevard for low maint fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

haras, jeepinjoel and Sandy VDH like this.
  3. bluemax

bluemax TUG Member

Thanks and thought about that option but don't have good options for trade up - Valdoro (sold out) and HHV Lagoon where cost is prohibitive to next level.

4. GT75

GT75 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x6
    janckenn and jeepinjoel like this.
  5. GT75

GT75 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x6
  6. bluemax

bluemax TUG Member

Thank you for above and good resources. What is cheapest per point location to buy "if you have to".

7. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVR Falls, GPR Seapointe, HGVC Lagoon, HGVC King's Land.
    Study the chart in the second link GT75 posted, anything on that list is a good value. Just keep in mind the dollar is strong against pound/euro right now, that may change. New resorts may jump up faster once they sell out. Vegas stays consistently low at Boulevard if they have one in inventory.

Do you use Valdoro or Lagoon every year or just use the points elsewhere? If its just points there is no reason to hang on to something just because its sold out. You can trade up to a different resort, it doesn't have to be the same one, Lagoon may be a good choice to get rid of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I totally agree with the thinking here. We rarely go to the resorts we own. We look at our 34.600 points as our point bank account to book where we want to go. HGVC doesn't care where you own nor where you upgrade to they are just interested in getting the extra dollar difference between what you paid and what they have raised the cost to for what they are selling you. Therefore, upgrading either of your one bedroom units with 4800 points to a 7000 point package in Vegas would give you Elite Premier and you may even LOWER you maintenance.

jeepinjoel and Sandy VDH like this.
  9. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham VIP Platinum, HGVC Elite, Tradewinds, HICV, +
    You are basically doing an equity trade. The only reason NOT to do it is if you use your HOME resort. If you do not, than do as suggested, and upgrade from a smaller unit at your current resort to any unit perhaps a plus or premium, or larger unit size that will yield that additional 1800 points at a place with as reasonable as possible MFs. This would be in lieu of other choices.

Remember it is always better to own Platinum weeks, as your MR $/point is less than any other season. Don't buy a gold buy a platinum.

10. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham VIP Platinum, HGVC Elite, Tradewinds, HICV, +
    Elite Premium has better perks than Plus, which frankly I think does not offer enough to move from basic Elite. Now I would not want to upgrade to E-Premium, but then again I am 20K away from that not less than 2K.

The nice perks are the Diamond Status first and foremost. Next would be the $0 transaction fees. Again, it is enough to pay the different, it might be if you travel at Hotels for work/pleasure enough and can utilize Diamond Status at hotels. Not having transaction fee is nice, but that is a lot of transactions to get to a $15K fee to upgrade to E Premier.

http://www.hgvcelite.com/recognition/at-a-glance/ Click on each level to see the addition and changes.

I will stay at Elite (many years ago via resales before they changed the rules). No enough incentive for me.

11. Jason245

Jason245 TUG Member

If you are currently paying 15 cents a point in MF, you are paying ~$4800/year. Assuming you buy just another 1800 points for $15k and have another $300 in MF/year(likely you will get more points and have MF in the $700-1k/year minimum), The question I have for you on this is:

1. Will you use the extra points.
    2. Will the Benefit you receive exceed the MF cost + the initial cash outflow?

From the list of benefits you are looking at the following items with real cash value:

Open season 30% off vs 15% off. Assuming you use it (although you already have a ton of points), and use it for 20 nights in plat season you are talking about an extra $600 in annual savings. The other is reduced reservation fees (again if you book at least 10+ res fees at $52, you get get to the MF net zero situation).

All that being said, even if you get to a break even on the MF, there is still the $15-20k in initial spend which makes the whole cash outlay nonsensical from a purly financial perspective.

I think it is a good marketing gimmick from HGVC side, but the numbers do not add up, especially when that type of unit can probably be bought resale for ~$2k if you really need the points.

Diamond status is not that different from Gold.

Now for the real fun part. As I understand it, these benefits do not even transfer to your kids when you die.....

12. bluemax

bluemax TUG Member

Thanks for all the great advise and replies. We do use our Valdoro "fixed ski weeks" and HHV Lagoon Tower every 3 years so challenging to trade up on our current owned units but need to reconsider to avoid another maint fee.

13. bluemax

bluemax TUG Member

Agree that financially it makes no sense so not buying just to get to Premiere level. Only way to get kids benefit in future is to put all owned units in a "trust" so they can receive benefits in future.

14. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

That is an interesting piece of information. We did put all of our timeshares in a revocable trust. We have 2 children so we split the timeshares between the two of them as beneficiaries. I have always wondered how we could get them to retain our Elite Plus Status. At this time we don't know if either one of them will want to pay the maintenance and keep them. I thought that perhaps we should keep them all in one child's name so that they would all be titled the same upon our demise.

15. bluemax

bluemax TUG Member

Check with your attorney but this should work just like any other real estate transaction you want to keep in the family. You could set up as even ownership and have the trust "fund" the maint. fees through an escrow account.

16. mitzi

mitzi Guest

Regarding benefits, the Diamond Hilton status and no fee transactions are the big ones. The latter allows me to hold reservations "just in case" without a penalty - so I can book pretty early even when I'm not 100%. One of the best and under-publicized benefits (imo) is the free limo pick up at most airports for the day of check-in. Think the only two locations not included are Breck and Park City.

17. brp

brp TUG Member

Note that Hilton Diamond can be obtained by spending $40K on one of a couple of HHonors credit cards. If one were already going to spend that money, then there is no incremental "cost" to this (except the tradeoff of what other card might be used for the $40K).

Also, it one happens to own at W. 57th (and there could be others), a $129/year addition to the Club Fee results in no reservation/change fees on any reservations for the entire year. This one, of course, requires owning at W. 57th :)

Cheers.

18. alwysonvac

alwysonvac TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark, Vistana, Disney, Hilton
    I totally agree.

For newbies, that come across this thread during your research, please understand that the main purpose of HGVC's owner updates or "freebie giveaways" is to get you to meet with the HGVC sales team. You're meeting with a sales person whose driving force is to get you to buy using whatever sales gimmick it takes ("helping" you to get to the Elite tiers, "helping" you to reduce your maintenance fees, etc). It's simply best to avoid these.

See old threads
    http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...e-excessive-fees-and-they-care-for-me.250152/
    http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hilton-purchase-advice-needed.250764/

19. GT75

GT75 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x6
    I am looking at doing exactly that (putting all timeshares into a trust) sometime in the future. This will preserve the current status level for the future. Also, as suggested, I am thinking about funding the maintenance fees through an escrow account. I called HGVC title department. They said that this is all duable for a price. I also called HGVC reservations to ensure that my status would be maintained with this change. The one thing with is important is to ensure that all owned properties don't have any outstanding loans. So that is my plan right now anyway.

20. GT75

GT75 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x6
    As others have suggested, I think that HGVC affiliates would be the cheapest way to upgrade. Again, as already stated, this will require another MF.