• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Helicopter and SCUBA in Kauai

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Going to Kauai next month! Can anyone recommend a helicopter tour? I heard doors off and flights that seat 4 people are perferred. Any discounts available?

Also looking to go scuba diving (we are PADI open water certified but want to go with a dive master). Any recommendations?

Thank you!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
On the Helicopter:
Depends on what you want.

• The doors-off helicopter is an MD900. It's small, 4 people (5?) and with the doors off, provides an AMAZING helicopter experience. The lack of doors provides for great photography; if you can hold and move your camera equipment around in the gale force winds. I loved it. It is very, very, windy loud and cold. The 900 is not the most powerful helicopter at 9000 feet. Your 'sightseeing' experience will be slightly more dynamic (moving) and less 'stop and admire the beauty' Jack Harter is (IMNSHO) professional, capable, safe and a great choice.
  • The deluxe touring machine par excellance belongs to Blue Hawaiian Tours. The EC130 EcoStar is a custom built, all tour, over-powered and amazingly windowed machine. It's smooth, quiet, powerful beyond belief. It seats more people (there are no bad seats, only better seats!) but handles the mountains with ease. There is glare and reflection inside the cabin. So, professional photos are not going to happen. But, the DVD (cheap) is well worth the price and HD. You will not get the 'wind in your face' experience of the MD900, but you will get a very amazing tour.
If you are a first time helicopter person, take the blue hawaiian tour in the EcoStar. Admire the beauty, not the helicopter. If you are more experienced and don't have motion issues etc... then try the Jack Harter Md900 doors-off. Dress warmly, have straps on ANYTHING out during the ride and enjoy the sheer thrill of 90 knots of wind in your face while scaling a dormant volcano!

You can't go wrong with either.

have fun!

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Rob -BIG Thank you!!! That was VERY helpful!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't like heights and there have been helicopter accidents there, so we opted for the Capt. Andys' small boat tour of Napali Coast and it was awesome. https://www.napali.com/

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll second the Jack Harter doors-off helicopter island tour. I won a trip for a luxury helicopter tour of the island with another company, and felt claustrophobic and sick the whole time. The JH doors-off is exhilarating! I love the fresh air, and the pilots have always been outstanding (DH was an Army flight surgeon, and is very picky about aircraft and pilots). I always recommend them to family and friends, and they've all had a great experience.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Last December we went diving with Seasport Divers. They were pretty good at keeping the skilled divers separated from the new divers. The one thing that was very noticeable is that there are not very many fish in many of the popular dive sites. Compared to other places it was like a dead zone with the exception being turtles. Im kind of use to Caribbean dive sites with plenty of coral and sea life. An easy dive is the Sheraton Caverns and diving through the lava tubes here is fun. Drift diving was pretty good. Its not coral but lava ledges and big rocks with rock fish hiding in the ledges. There are octopuses in the cracks.

We went with Safari Tours for our helicopter tour. You can pay a bit extra to sit up front which is what we did.

Bill

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
My two cents is buy your tickets one day prior if you know the weather will be good. The helicopters will always launch, but the scenery is a lot better on nice days, and.......it is safer.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Just to reinforce what tompalm advised, many years ago we took a helicopter tour via Blue Hawaiian which was done on a bright, clear morning--even at the top of Mt. Waialele, which is the wettest place on earth. The pilot said, "You're in for a rare treat" and took us over the rim of the volcano to look into the completely unique microclimate of that mountain. We saw flowers and other flora that grow nowhere else, mountain goats leaping from crag to crag on the edges of the mountain, and literally hundreds of waterfalls spilling into the center of the caldera because of the rains the night before. It was paradise. Pictures do it no justice, but the memory will be with me for a lifetime.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forget the helicopter 1 hr ride for $300-$400 for two, buy a good $50 DVD from the helicopter folks and see more, and use the difference for a deluxe night out. Plus your kids might not enjoy being orphans.

Sterling
(One helicopter ride was too many)

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Wife and I have done Safari Helicopter twice now. Latest was just yesterday.
Price was great ($200 pp after all taxes and surcharges) for 60 min flight.
Very friendly - If you are above weight limit, they will work with you to avoid "comfort seat".
We would recommend Safari to anyone

Safari helicopters are doors-on and seat 6.
And they do fly into the center of the volcano like all the others.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I did one helicopter ride, on Maui. It was beautiful flying up over the crater. But I was sicker than a dog for most of the flight, white knuckled it and when we stopped to "rest" I almost didn't get back on. As Sterling said, once was enough for me. If you have any kind of motion sickness you might want to think twice about this, or at least medicate before you go.

taffy19

Reaction score
On the Helicopter:
Depends on what you want.

• The doors-off helicopter is an MD900. It's small, 4 people (5?) and with the doors off, provides an AMAZING helicopter experience. The lack of doors provides for great photography; if you can hold and move your camera equipment around in the gale force winds. I loved it. It is very, very, windy loud and cold. The 900 is not the most powerful helicopter at 9000 feet. Your 'sightseeing' experience will be slightly more dynamic (moving) and less 'stop and admire the beauty' Jack Harter is (IMNSHO) professional, capable, safe and a great choice.
  • The deluxe touring machine par excellance belongs to Blue Hawaiian Tours. The EC130 EcoStar is a custom built, all tour, over-powered and amazingly windowed machine. It's smooth, quiet, powerful beyond belief. It seats more people (there are no bad seats, only better seats!) but handles the mountains with ease. There is glare and reflection inside the cabin. So, professional photos are not going to happen. But, the DVD (cheap) is well worth the price and HD. You will not get the 'wind in your face' experience of the MD900, but you will get a very amazing tour.
If you are a first time helicopter person, take the blue hawaiian tour in the EcoStar. Admire the beauty, not the helicopter. If you are more experienced and don't have motion issues etc... then try the Jack Harter Md900 doors-off. Dress warmly, have straps on ANYTHING out during the ride and enjoy the sheer thrill of 90 knots of wind in your face while scaling a dormant volcano!

You can't go wrong with either.

have fun!
You describe it so well, watershed. We have gone to Hawaii so many years so went with several helicopter companies on different islands. We also took the Harter tour in Kauai and I was so fortunate to sit on the seat that had the doors off so great for taking movies but you have to do exactly what they tell you to do and keep your arm and camera from not sticking out too far or your camera will be gone and your arm may be too. Just kidding but it will swing back pretty hard and you may hurt yourself. I was more concerned about my little iPhone camera than about my arm but you can buy a strap so you will not lose it because you really need it. It is so easy to go out a little too far.

They explain you all this before you go so you are well aware and the secret is not to keep looking down all the time but straight forward too. Some people have motion sickness even in a car and you can't really help it so it is not for them as beautiful the scenery is.

Our pilot was a natural and it felt like we were a bird in the air like gliding when a bird would glide or winging up (climb up) higher over a ridge like a bird would do exactly too, etc. Best tour we ever took but for comfort, the other helicopter will definitely win.

Our pilot would give everyone of us a chance to see the waterfalls and points of interests equally good so I can highly recommend this company. The Marriott recommended it to us at the orientation presentation so we booked it and a few other trips too.

We don't like booking far in advance because you always have to check the weather in HI that can change on a dime but in Honolulu you may have to do this in advance because there are so many tourists there and tours fill up so quickly. We found that out again on our last trip over there in April so had to book something else instead but there is a lot of choice and we loved our trip that we took instead.

I agree with Sterling, if you do not want to take a helicopter tour, then buy the DVDs and we have one that I have recommended here before. It is so beautiful and there is no way that we can take such beautiful movies ourselves plus the narration too and history of the Hawaiian culture and about the islands.

The day is coming that we can travel and see everything from the comfort of our own home which isn't bad for a lot of people but being there is a whole different experience like seeing the Rose Parade we have in Pasadena on New Year's day, or seeing the ball drop in Time Square, in reality, in NYC on New Year's Eve or car racing that will deafen your ears for days on end that my husband used to drag me to when we were young and he met some formula 1 racers that he adored and got autographs from and the same for taking a helicopter tour or parasailing or whatever else there is to see and do.

I did gliding once in a tiny plane with a pilot that promised to turn it upside down and do acrobats too but didn't because there were thunderstorms looming around us so we had to cut it short. What an experience anyway with no noise of an engine but only the wind rushing by but I was glad when I was safely down on the ground again in my little old native country with weather that is hardly ever stable.

Now, I keep looking forward to the movies that Captain Dave is sharing with us right off our coast. We do not even have to go to Hawaii anymore because we have many species of whales right here close to home. Have a look at the last You Tube movie he shared with us recently! He is a person who loves what he does and can make a living with it too so I love to share it to anyone who may like to go with his tour boats when they are visiting here. You can read his reviews on his website too plus see all the movies that he has made with a drone.

PS. I also loved the movie that was shared by daventrina the other day here on TUG. If you can't dive anymore but love it, then this is a treat to see it through the eyes of another diver again. It must have been posted under the Big Island. I just saved the movie for my husband to see. Do all these things that you love while you are young and can do them!