• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help: Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France / First visit to Paris

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
Sorry I came to the discussion so late. When making flight reservations on regularly scheduled routs you can request a stop over at no additional charge. You could fly the same itinerary , but leave 3 or 4 days earlier, request a stopover in London (you do need to pay the heathrow airport fees). We do it all the time. Last year we had a stopover in Dublin for 5 days on our way back from Sicily.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I appreciate all of the information that has been shared. I received my email from the resort today asking for my building/area requests. Hopefully, we will be able to stay in the same unit for our 9 nights. Since we have reserved a car from the airport, do I need an international drivers license? I've read on many websites that it is not necessary. I would not have time now to get one from AAA since we're heading out of town next Saturday before the trip to France and there's no agency in my state. I also got my new travel secured purse today from Ebags. It seems to be much better than most. I've emailed the resort asking for tour information and suggestions.

I forgot to inquire about cell phones. Since the resort has free wifi, do I really need a phone other than my Iphone for travel/GPS? We don't need to make calls to the US.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hajjah,
I have been reading this post with interest because my spouse and I are taking our daughter on a similar trip in June. Sounds like we are about 5-10 years younger than you- but so similar!

I hope that you will come back and share your experience when you return!

Can you tell me why you changed your mind and decided to rent a car from the airport?
Can anyone recommend a specific car service to hire for a ride from the airport to the resort? We have used these on other trips and find it the least stressful option. A PM would be great.

I am also wondering how to get cash? I assume I will need that to pay the car hire (or will a credit card do?). In any case we will need to exchange cash.

Also interested in the cell phone question. We use Tracfone here in the US and I don't think that works in Europe.

Finally can anyone suggest a specific Marriott to spend a few days either before or after the resort? It's 3 adults and I have been looking and see some have rollaway, some sleeper sofas. Anyone have a good experience someplace?

Have an amazing trip and come back with all the news!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Int DL technically not needed, but some rental car agencies require it. you won't know until you get to the desk. SIXT at dlp did not need it, Avis did. You should get one, but if you cannot, and then cannot rent the car from the airport, worse case scenario, you could take the magic shuttle to dlp, and then rent a car at SIXT at dlp.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

I forgot to inquire about cell phones. Since the resort has free wifi, do I really need a phone other than my Iphone for travel/GPS? We don't need to make calls to the US.

I don't know. I think that you could use your iPhone at the resort through the wifi. And perhaps the GPS would also work. But you won't be able to use it to make or receive phone calls when away from the resort. In your unit at the resort (wifi) you should be able to get text messages. I am hoping to learn something when others opine on this subject.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Hajjah,
I have been reading this post with interest because my spouse and I are taking our daughter on a similar trip in June. Sounds like we are about 5-10 years younger than you- but so similar!

I hope that you will come back and share your experience when you return!

Can you tell me why you changed your mind and decided to rent a car from the airport?
Can anyone recommend a specific car service to hire for a ride from the airport to the resort? We have used these on other trips and find it the least stressful option. A PM would be great.

I am also wondering how to get cash? I assume I will need that to pay the car hire (or will a credit card do?). In any case we will need to exchange cash.

Also interested in the cell phone question. We use Tracfone here in the US and I don't think that works in Europe.

Finally can anyone suggest a specific Marriott to spend a few days either before or after the resort? It's 3 adults and I have been looking and see some have rollaway, some sleeper sofas. Anyone have a good experience someplace?

Have an amazing trip and come back with all the news!

I decided that it would be better for us to rent a car for the entire stay and not depend on public transportation. I dislike trains and busses and never use them unless while touring. It would be beneficial for us to tour the outer areas on our own. I found a discount for Disneyland on Viator via TUG or Trip Advisor. The tickets are much cheaper. I'm still waiting for the resort to get back to me regarding a possible tour of Paris. TUG has advised us not to drive into Paris. By the time I pay for a private car to/from the airport, that will be over $200. The rental car is costing $250 for 9 days. So, even if the car stays parked a few days during the rental period, I will still be satisfied. I also will contact the rental agency about the International Driving License.

Oh, I might still opt to have TMobile unlock my phone before this trip so I can switch out the SIM.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
here is the tour info from Marriott in 2016 sent to me.

Leaving from Disney’s Hotel New York: Magical Day Tour of Paris and Visit of the Louvre Museum.: Discover the major sites: Notre-Dame Cathedral, Place de la Concorde, Avenue ChampsElysées, Arc de Triomphe, a boat cruise down the Seine River and visit on your own of the Louvre Museum. Price: 95 euro per adult , 65 euro children 3-11 years old Every day except Tuesday, 1st Sunday of each month October to March, April 3rd, May 1st, July 14th, December 24 th & 25th, Jan1st. Included: transportation in a luxury air conditioned coach, free time to have lunch in the Louvre district, recorded commentary and personal earphone sets, tickets for the Seine River Cruise and the Louvre Museum with priority access to both, departure and return to Disney’s New York Hotel. For advance reservations, please send us the date and number of adults and children and their ages.

also-this was for summer, but might also run in March. If you are willing to pay for the 4th person, they might let you sign up with 3 persons, in case the minimum is not met.
Paris Shuttle go/return from the Resort to central Paris Pick up from the resort lobby at 11am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and return pick up from central Paris at 8pm. Price: 40 euro per person for a round trip Sign up with the concierge maximum 07:30pm on the Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday. A minimum of 4 people are required to sign up for the shuttle to go.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear are you renting at Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France? You know it's a ways out of central Paris - but there is train service from CDG to the village and from the village to Paris. I would not rent a car unless you plan to tour the French countryside.
Is the CDG train to the Marriott direct or do you have to go through Paris? I'll be there the last week...

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
If I was staying at the Marriott Paris and wanted to go in and explore Paris, I would leave the car parked and would take the train. I would buy a week's pass that would allow me unlimited week's use the Metro and the city busses. I have been in Paris with a car and it is kind of a pain - - it is very hard to find a place to park the cars. I found that the "trek" from the place we could park the car to the end destination was often further than the distance to the nearest metro station or bus.

With your car, consider going to Giverny (Monet), and possible Omaha Beach/Honfleur and Reims and Epernay (think Moet and Chandon). etc. But leave it parked when taking the train to Paris.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you have T mobile, you most likely don't need a new SIM card. Your existing SIM card should be good for data usage free of charge in France. By the time you arrive in France, you will receive a text message such as "Welcome to France! Your T-Mobile plan gives you unlimited data at 2G speeds, calls at 20 cents/min and free texts. Learn about high speed data passes at..." Please call T-Mobile to confirm. If your old data plan does not have this feature, you should upgrade at least for the next 30 days.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I received a reply from the resort today regarding the tours to Paris. It's basically the same as listed by Elaine. We're planning to take the tour to Paris/Eiffel Tower from the resort. As for Disneyland, we're planning to book with Viator to use a discount. We'll get the shuttle from the resort to the train if possible. As for the rental car, there is no need for the International License. I also just called TMobile and it won't be necessary for us to remove our SIM cards as stated by LisaH. Our plan covers overseas travel with unlimited data and text. We do not need to make calls to the US.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Is the CDG train to the Marriott direct or do you have to go through Paris? I'll be there the last week...
There is a high speed train between CDG and DLP BUT it may be difficult to arrange (since it is one of the high speed trains) the regular train (REF) (that your train pass get you free rides) goes into paris then back out to DLP

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
3 marriott cypress harbour
1 marriott custom house
Ok, so I decided to go directly to the resort instead of staying near the airport. I was able to book a two bedroom at Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France using a special code for a great discount. They may even allow us to stay in the same unit for the 9 nights. What is the best advice to get from the airport to the resort? We're arriving on a Tuesday around 1:00 PM. Where do we get the train to the resort? After resting a few days, we'd like to do Paris, then Disneyland on a different day. I did read that there's a shuttle from the resort to the train? I need to make a note of all of these suggestions to take with me. By the way, if a friend wanted to join us who uses a cane for walking, would it be a problem for her getting to/from the train? We normally rent cars for all of our vacations. I'm trying to finalize as much as possible in advance of the trip.
Check our reviews on trip advisor inder the name richnlin as we go there every year. I have much detail.
Rich

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1 marriott custom house
Go to trip advisor a
There is a high speed train between CDG and DLP BUT it may be difficult to arrange (since it is one of the high speed trains) the regular train (REF) (that your train pass get you free rides) goes into paris then back out to DLP
Go to trip advisor and type in our name, richnlin, as we go there every year and I gave 3 reviews over the years with much detsil.
Rich

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks for the updates. I'm now looking at a few tours/Disneyland via Viator. Has anyone used them? I also plan to use them next month for a trip to Dubai that we just booked via Groupon for $899 - 5 nights including air/hotel and one tour.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check our reviews on trip advisor inder the name richnlin as we go there every year. I have much detail.
Rich
Rich,
Can you give me an idea when these review were posted? I tried searching richnlin but it doesn't seem to search by poster.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I found his reviews last night. Now, I need to remember how I found them. Has anyone used Viator for tours? Their reviews are very good for Paris and Dubai.

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1 marriott custom house
I did a review on The Beach House located in Finleyville Pa. Go there and click richnlin. It will lead u to the marriott reviews as I did three, bery lengthy. We are going again in july.

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1 marriott custom house
Rich,
Can you give me an idea when these review were posted? I tried searching richnlin but it doesn't seem to search by poster.
I did a review on The Beach House located in Finleyville Pa. Click on our name and scroll down to the marriott location.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did a review on The Beach House located in Finleyville Pa. Go there and click richnlin. It will lead u to the marriott reviews as I did three, bery lengthy. We are going again in july.

Thank you! Great review and advice.
We are going for the first time in June. We also live in the north east. I see you flew non stop from PA. Any advice on timing? Most flights seem to go overnight and arrive 8 or 9 in the morning. That doesn't seem optimal since it will seem like the middle of the night and I wouldn't think we could check in yet.
I also wonder if you have ever spent a few nights at a hotel in Paris? Or do you find the trains run late enough that you can see Paris at night and make it back to the TS?
Again thanks for taking the time to write those reviews.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Would the person who wrote earlier about not seeing cats during their stay at this resort, kindly tell me where you stayed? I've emailed the resort ahead of time about my illness around cats and was advised that they would try to accommodate us near the Marketplace if a unit is available, but to be aware that the cats are all over the property. I really don't wish to spend my 10 days inside the unit because of the cats. It may not seem important to most of you, but it would have been a deal breaker for me had I known before booking this resort. My illness/phobia is what I've had to deal with all my life. I try my best not to be in places where cats frequent.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Would the person who wrote earlier about not seeing cats during their stay at this resort, kindly tell me where you stayed? I've emailed the resort ahead of time about my illness around cats and was advised that they would try to accommodate us near the Marketplace if a unit is available, but to be aware that the cats are all over the property. I really don't which to spend my 10 days inside the unit because of the cats. It may not seem important to most of you, but it would have been a deal breaker for me had I known before booking this resort. My illness/phobia is what I've had to deal with all my life. I try my best not to be in places where cats frequent.

That was me. We've stayed a couple of times but the most recent occasion and one I can remember not seeing a cat was when we were located close to the pool, indoor pool and children's play area. We had plenty of ducks coming to our patio but no cats. I wonder if it was the relatively busy area that kept them away, children playing, constant coming and going from the pool etc.

For future reference I would avoid Son Antem if you were ever going to consider it. There is a definite cat problem there although it has improved significantly. During our last stay we had a particularly persistent cat who was repeatedly found in the villa and would return immediately as soon as you threw him out. It doesn't help when guests repeatedly feed them despite being told not to.

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1 marriott custom house
Thank you! Great review and advice.
We are going for the first time in June. We also live in the north east. I see you flew non stop from PA. Any advice on timing? Most flights seem to go overnight and arrive 8 or 9 in the morning. That doesn't seem optimal since it will seem like the middle of the night and I wouldn't think we could check in yet.
I also wonder if you have ever spent a few nights at a hotel in Paris? Or do you find the trains run late enough that you can see Paris at night and make it back to the TS?
Again thanks for taking the time to write those reviews.
We take the overnight flights and arrive at cdg early in the morning. We stay at the marriott cdg for the first so that we are fresh to go in the morning. Check in at the marriott de france is not til 4pm so arrive a bit early instead of sleeping in the lobby intil checkin. After our stay we go back to the cdg marriott and stay overnight as we are only 10 minutes from the airport. Yes the metro runs late so you can see Paris at night. Chevk out a weekly pass as it is approx 55euros but will save a great deal. It is good on bus and rail.
Rich

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1 marriott custom house
Rich
The high speed train station is in the airport and very easy to use. It is approx 58euros a person and takes only 10 minutes, the first stop. Disney is the first stop and at that stop is also the marriott shuttle stop.

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1 marriott custom house
I ho into detail regarding the high speed train on my posts ontrip advisor under the name richnlin as we go there every year.