• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP - Oceana Palms or Ocean Point

22go

Reaction score
We have points expiring soon and have decided to go to Oceana Palms or Ocean Pointe in early June. We will be a couple traveling alone and just want to relax (don't need a ton of activities).
We need help to decide which resort. Thanks for any help!
Kathy

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Couple traveling alone just looking for R&R and not concerned about resort activities....I would chose Oceana Palms, no question. Great villas, great views, nice (albeit small) pool area and FREE lounge chairs on the beach.

22go

Reaction score
Couple traveling alone just looking for R&R and not concerned about resort activities....I would chose Oceana Palms, no question. Great villas, great views, nice (albeit small) pool area and FREE lounge chairs on the beach.
Should we be concerned with construction noise from across the street?

beckster914

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with Fasttr. I have been to Oceana Palms once but never to Ocean Pointe, but read a lot about it. This July we were supposed to spend a week at Ocean Pointe as we needed a 2 bedroom + studio, but since then plans have changed and less people are coming, so we only needed a 2 bedroom. We jumped at the opportunity to switch our reservation to Oceana Palms, as we really loved it the last time. It is newer, smaller, better views and I think just a different feel overall from Ocean Pointe, which I suspect will have more kids running around as it will appeal to families. Oh and yes, the free chairs on the beach don't hurt!

I can't answer your question as to construction, but I did read about it on Trip Advisor reviews. Most said it wasn't too bothersome if I recall correctly. Last year we were at Crystal Shores when they were constructing the new building, and also the Hilton next door was doing construction. While we of course heard noise and saw the work being done none of it was really too bothersome. Especially when you are in your room with the doors closed or out on the beach you don't even hear it. I hope/assume it will be the same at Oceana Palms.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
While we love Ocean Pointe for our 'family with kids', I would recommend Oceana Palms for a 'couple'. The resort and villas are both more upscale, quieter, and will have better overall views as a high rise. The balconies are also larger, which is fantastic for relaxing with some food, drink, newspaper, etc. Enjoy. Weather will be nice and warm for pool/beach.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Two different resorts within 1 mile of each other yet both have a different, distinctive, feel to each.

Ocean Pointe is a series of low rise buildings who's highest floor is the 7th floor. The resort is more spread out and gives off a vibe of a destination resort with 4 different pools, 3 hot tubs, several bar-b-que area's, pathways to walk, porch swings to relax and a Tiki Bar for adult beverages or maybe a quick bite (think bar food).

Oceana Palms has the feel of a luxury boutique hotel with 2 high rise tower on a small footprint. The lowest floor is on the 8th floor with all floors below that assigned as either parking garage or the sales floor on 7. The grounds are not as extensive but are as comfortable and chic as one might expect in a boutique style resort.

Units at Oceana Palms are done in Marriott's newer design. Ocean Pointe has done a marvelous job maintaining their units but, they feel a little old as they're the typical Marriott standard lock-off unit.

We enjoy both resorts. We're in our 50's and travel as a couple without kids. Either resort is fine IMHO. I do enjoy the panoramic views and extra large balcony's offered by Oceana Palms but much prefer to have a center ocean front unit if I can get it. To me that's the only selling point of Oceana Palms over Ocean Pointe but, I believe most on TUG will tell you Oceana Palms is the better choice.

Photo album 2016 Ocean Pointe ocean front 3 bedroom unit https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel/TImeshare/Marriotts-Ocean-Pointe-1/

Photo album 2016 Oceana Palms ocean front corner unit https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel/TImeshare/Marriotts-Oceana-Palms-March-1/

Photo album 2014 Oceana Palms ocean front middle unit https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel/TImeshare/Marriotts-Oceana-Palms-March/

22go

Reaction score
Two different resorts within 1 mile of each other yet both have a different, distinctive, feel to each.

Ocean Pointe is a series of low rise buildings who's highest floor is the 7th floor. The resort is more spread out and gives off a vibe of a destination resort with 4 different pools, 3 hot tubs, several bar-b-que area's, pathways to walk, porch swings to relax and a Tiki Bar for adult beverages or maybe a quick bite (think bar food).

Oceana Palms has the feel of a luxury boutique hotel with 2 high rise tower on a small footprint. The lowest floor is on the 8th floor with all floors below that assigned as either parking garage or the sales floor on 7. The grounds are not as extensive but are as comfortable and chic as one might expect in a boutique style resort.

Units at Oceana Palms are done in Marriott's newer design. Ocean Pointe has done a marvelous job maintaining their units but, they feel a little old as they're the typical Marriott standard lock-off unit.

We enjoy both resorts. We're in our 50's and travel as a couple without kids. Either resort is fine IMHO. I do enjoy the panoramic views and extra large balcony's offered by Oceana Palms but much prefer to have a center ocean front unit if I can get it. To me that's the only selling point of Oceana Palms over Ocean Pointe but, I believe most on TUG will tell you Oceana Palms is the better choice.

Photo album 2016 Ocean Pointe ocean front 3 bedroom unit https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel/TImeshare/Marriotts-Ocean-Pointe-1/

Photo album 2016 Oceana Palms ocean front corner unit https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel/TImeshare/Marriotts-Oceana-Palms-March-1/

Photo album 2014 Oceana Palms ocean front middle unit https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel/TImeshare/Marriotts-Oceana-Palms-March/
Doug,
Great pictures. Thank you. I know we would be happy with both resorts but I am concerned with the construction at Oceana which is going on right now until 2018.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Doug,
Great pictures. Thank you. I know we would be happy with both resorts but I am concerned with the construction at Oceana which is going on right now until 2018.

If concerned with construction noise at Oceana Palms, just go to Ocean Pointe. It is great and has quiet relaxing areas as well. Suggest you look into the Kingfish building. While separate from the main complex, it is quiet, has its own bar/pool, and has great views of the ocean and inlet (watch boats, etc).

If in the main buildings, stay closer to the Cobia/Pompano buildings and pool, as it tends to be a little quieter there than the Sailfish/Dolphin pool area. I think Cobia/Pompano pool is adult only in the early AM, but also where they do aerobics mid morning also.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For a couple, if you are looking to save points, you may want to consider Ocean Pointe. Oceana Palms only has 2BR units where Ocean Pointe has 1BR and studios. So if you don't want or need a full 2BR, then Ocean Pointe is the only option.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
For a couple, if you are looking to save points, you may want to consider Ocean Pointe. Oceana Palms only has 2BR units where Ocean Pointe has 1BR and studios. So if you don't want or need a full 2BR, then Ocean Pointe is the only option.

Great recommendation if using DC pts! Perhaps you stay a few extra days in a 1br with the extra points you save!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should we be concerned with construction noise from across the street?

I was there about three weeks ago and there is something fishy going on regarding the so called construction noise on the lot next door (located to the southern side of Oceana Palms).

They have been "working" on it for a few months now, and all they have to show for it is a bunch of dirt moved around with a some stakes in the ground.

Pile drivers should have been there some time ago and it's not happening (or at least not yet). This leads me to believe several things; (1) The property may quietly be for sale looking for a buyer to take on the task of building or (2) The activity going on now is to extend the time for a building permit that may have been close to expiring or (3) They are waiting for a construction framing crew to finish another project.

In any event; the construction noise is not a big issue unless and until the pile drivers arrive on site.

With that said (and someone else has pointed out) "Ask for a Villa on the north side of the building" and you shouldn't have any worries at all.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use a 1BR, you might also want to consider upgrading to Ocean Front. I think Ocean Front is worth a premium at Ocean Pointe, but it isn't needed at Oceana Palms where all villas have a great view.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would late January or early February be a hard time to book a week following a cruise?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Would late January or early February be a hard time to book a week following a cruise?
If you are using DC points and have 13 month booking window, Oceana Palms should be fairly easy since over half of it is in the trust. I could be wrong as I have no actual experience booking this.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just at Oceana Palms last weekend. There was next to no noise. With a North view, there is no visual impact from the construction. I agree that the lack of progress on the neighboring site is odd .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
We have always asked for a southern exposure because we are there in the winter and we want the sun. With a June arrival you may want a north side room and it's associated shade which of course is on the opposite side of the construction. Below is a picture of the south side construction
that was taken in February of this year.

oPOXuwuDqvOewqtbSIJCcND0g_yHvGjLvyT1CYPT40Dkpjmw6miRrTSWUSI1xwyOYRIdYgh8WGReLCThOYBdgFJB7TZGnWdwMfIzQu8jP_Eux-r-wK-8au9rTIZzcSJrxxwCcbmXXQdkGiPpGr13hNp68l7PNLDvANVda3oOS1xm6w5BedXRu3H9WvI5tsWQRLmGnGk7i-45IjM0EdKj6A1mCdo31VJmYs7PBbpeJHF6iH5g2694R4ZqLPI4ylOVZudU6GJ3rKnvCHXP647m9_JQOeIns9eao5w6A99lwGi-JnYkutc84qEeRHbs2w2ob19xG_YWlLi8UoQ_LIciSdqGcZs8b7ZPG3hTzoZUiPvwpcl5dcwVS6yL5HAFwm2PmcjPCiwpItASNZzfB5DG2htmI-Cix_BPa2l9Azv2qZG8aS0CSy5zYiLKbEzFsc9vNYGUcGmiY430zEbFNJqBstnSCz7qGR6tV4fbe-woi81dQnVaAf2sB6eiIM0sfOcLb0wAvomD3VIUx1VrZU1RQ1hC7dTLyzc98s9UED40oa30IyeT5Hn8yIe85c8c7y9UVAzjB0c0mpIsF7hmp03Ms-t46EmtvP0wbdzvzxfFLNDNNvALqkT_yg=w1351-h760-no