• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with Orlando vacation

SeattleJohn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Tuggers,

I’m hoping to get a little help with planning a family vacation for next year (targeting mid- to late-August 2018). Our plan is to treat the family to accommodations for a week in Orlando so we can all hang out at WDW/Universal and spend some time at the pool. Best I can figure, we’ll need room for 20 people (10 adults, 10 kids). We will have up to 250,000 StarOptions to use to book rooms. I think this could get us a 3 BR + 2 BR at SVV or 2 – 2 BRs and 1 – 1 BR at SVR.

But before I pour all of our SOs into reservations, I wanted to see if there are any other options. For instance, I have heard there are cheap rentals to be had through II, Redweek, etc.in Orlando. Generally these rentals are less than maintenance fees. Or Airbnb or VRBO? Given that I have the ability to convert our SOs to SPs so maybe it is a better option to conserve our points (as either SOs or SPs) and just pay cash for the rentals. But as of now, we’re planning on using SOs.

Assuming we go with SOs, the next question is which resort should we stay at? The kids will be 10 years old and less, so primarily we want to keep them happy (happy kids = happy parents). SVR looks massive so I assume there are lot of amenities for the kids (although I didn’t see a waterslide). SVV might be a little more manageable and the pictures showed a water slide and a pirate ship in the kiddie pool, which would be a plus

If we were to look for options outside of SVV and SVR, are there any recommendations? Again, having stuff for the kids and adults would be key.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

blondietink

Reaction score
We have stayed at both resorts and like SVV better because it isn't as crowded and is quieter. It was always hard to find pool chairs at the main SVR pool and we always went the last 2 weeks of AUgust. Personally, I would tend to keep your star options and go someplace more fabulous like Hawaii, Harborside, St. John, etc. instead of Orlando. You should be able to get some cheap Orlando units through II. Keep in mind that while the end of August sees a drop in US visitors due to some school schedules, it is prime season for the English and Germans to visit. It is also very hot and humid with rain every afternoon. Go to the parks at opening, leave for lunch, swim and relax, go back to the parks about 6 pm and stay late.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looking at the Getaways for late August 2017, they look to be in the $700 range for a 2BR unit. Definitely cheaper than the MFs for the same unit. Also, with Getways you aren't tied to SVV or SVR. You could also consider some of the Marriott properties. Though in Getaways, I think you can only rent a max of three Marriott's for the same time period.

With 20 people and the cheap cost of units, I would go for more than just two 2BR units and a 1BR or a 3BR and a 2BR. Do you want people to sleep on pullouts? While the rooms may have max sleeping capacities, maxing that out isn't necessarily ideal. THat means two people in each bed and two in each sofa bed. I would suggest springing for three or even four 2BR units. I would even take in to consideration the family structures. So if you have a family of four or five in the group, get them their own 2BR unit. You could also book a mix of getaways and StarOption reservations to conserve either the cash or the SOs, or both.

Last edited:

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Go into the wanted section or rent section under $700. There are times you can get bonnet creek 3 bedroom for $700 or maybe a little more, like this.

Ex.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...lando-apr-23-28-3-br-dlx-5-nights-500.254639/

Go to sky auctions, you can get SVR 2 bedroom for 1 week for also around $700. That is less then it will cost us to use our star options. There's also a water slide at SVR.

Denise P

Reaction score
I would bear in mind that there are not many 3 bedroom units at SVV and that there have different lay outs and require different numbers of options. I have a 3 bedroom lock out in Key West which requires 139,700 options in the busy season and is made up of two 1 bed units and one 1 bed premium. The 3 bedroom units in Amelia an St Augustine require 125,000 options but they are made up of a 2 bedroom unit and a one bedroom unit.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
I'm going to be planning a huge family stay at either SVR or SVV for April 2018. We may have as many as 12 adults, and 9 children going (Between us, we have 9 adult children, 6 of whom are married, and 10 grandchildren with one more due in November). I will have 215,100 StarOptions, plus a 2 bedroom from an Explorer package we stupidly purchased, to play with. At this time, it seems that the best option for us is to use the SOs for 2 2 bedroom non-lockoffs, plus the Explorer 2 bedroom, and one premium 1 bedroom - this is for us, and we may add a couple days with StarPoints or cash or II short stay. I'm not going to try to fool with 3 bedrooms though. We own in Bella and are banking 2017 to throw on top of our EOY Flex package and 2018 Bella to do this. If more of our children, or extended family decide they want to go too, we will probably book II Getaways or use a certificate, if one is available.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go into the wanted section or rent section under $700. There are times you can get bonnet creek 3 bedroom for $700 or maybe a little more, like this.

Ex.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...lando-apr-23-28-3-br-dlx-5-nights-500.254639/
With the anticipated changes to the Club Wyndham program, 3 bedroom units for $100/night at Bonnet Creek or anywhere else in Wyndhamland will become a thing of the past by this time next year, probably sooner. (The $100/night in Wyndham only works within 60 days of check-in, before the changes).

Do not count on it for August 2018.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
With the anticipated changes to the Club Wyndham program, 3 bedroom units for $100/night at Bonnet Creek or anywhere else in Wyndhamland will become a thing of the past by this time next year, probably sooner. (The $100/night in Wyndham only works within 60 days of check-in, before the changes).

Do not count on it for August 2018.

Sky auction has SVR for less then it costs to use our SO's.~$700 for 7 nights 2 bedroom. There are so many options in Orlando that I think using your own SO's to book is a waste.

blondietink

Reaction score
Both of them are huge resorts, but keep in mind that April is very busy in Orlando with spring break.