• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hi guys, I am new and need some help please.

bdakerman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So, here I am learning about timeshares .... and I need help.

Here is what I have found so far ....

I found a place for sale on Ebay .... here is the info ---

The magnificent setting of The Sheraton Desert Oasis combines with superb features and amenities. Guests love to cool off from a busy day in the spectacular 4,500 square foot swimming pool. Cascading waterfalls and a private spa grotto create a secluded, romantic environment. Enjoy a refreshing drink from the poolside cabana or lounge on the expansive sun deck. There's also a separate 'spray pool'for children, a playground, fitness center, and centrally located clubhouse.

DETAILS:
Size: 2 Bedroom / 2 Bath Lockoff Villa
Sleeps 8

Usage Time: Annual Red Floating week Floats Weeks #1-52
Type of Ownership: Deed Expires: Never
Trading Company: RCI (Code: 5247)/ Gold Crown II / Premier / 5 Star
Maintenance fees & Taxes approx.:
$1133.00

Billed Every Year
Availability: 2017 Check in: Fri/Sat/Sun

FEES DUE AT TIME OF SALE:
2017 Maintenance Fee: $1133 (50% OFF 2017 MF)
Closing Cost: $150
Resort Transfer Fee: $25
Plus The Winning Bid:

All transactions are handled by mail and email. Please disregard the “Pick Up Only” above.

We are International friendly

Payment Policy

Full payment is due within five business days of auction's end unless an exception is made with me.

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, (fees apply) Cashiers Check or Certified Check made payable to the Escrow Company. All funds are held in Escrow until the property is transferred.

Terms & Conditions

At the end of the auction, please provide the following information via email to hamlet@timeshare-group.com: name(s), address, City, State and Zip, daytime phone, email address. All information is required within the same day of auctions end.

Upon receipt of this required information, you will receive a contract and payment options (do not make any payment until you have received your contract) from us via email within one business day. If you do not receive this contract, please email or call us at (888) 505-3537 ext 705

About Us

We have been selling Timeshares on eBay since 2002, over 15 years. Please take a moment and read our feedback to see what other buyers are saying about their experience with us. We have a 100% rating and over 1602 positive feed-backs, so please bid with confidence. We guarantee clear and marketable title to every property we sell. We take an extra step to provide the most accurate descriptions. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase due to a representation error or encumbrance on the title, you may return the real property in exchange for a full purchase price refund.

Have a Timeshare? Want to Transfer?

I might be interested in purchasing your Timeshare, send me an email.

Seller has no affiliation and does not represent the resort or the management company referenced in this item ad.

Serious bidders only. Have your finances in order prior to bidding

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, with that said ... I have figured out that IF we buy a timeshare this fills what we are looking for 1) a warm place all year long that we would enjoy going back to 2) a warm place all year long that has trading power 3) 2BR place that will fit my family of 5 and my Mom if she joins us.

Here are my questions please ----

1) This place says floating week 1 - 52 RED --- I have read here that his is a joke and very hard to get ---- is this a "scam" for us because we would never really get the week that we want or any week at all????

2) This is general question ---- what would be better? getting a place like this or getting into points --- I don't understand really which is better .... or WHY one is better than the other.

We want to be able to trade our timeshare and trade for places all over the world ... would points be a better option for this? I have been looking into Whyndham points. UGH this is so hard ...

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING AND WHO TAKES THE TIME TO HELP AND RESPOND!!!

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You're on the right track. Here my answers and suggestions for you:
  1. Sheraton Desert Oasis is a nice resort in Scottsdale but--as you have deduced--because of the severe seasonality in demand for the Arizona desert, it is NOT peak season year-round as you would find in Hawaii. There are definite seasons, and SDO does trade on a seasonal calendar. Please check the sticky "Vistana/Starwood Owner Resources" to find a chart with information on seasons and points associated with those seasons at SDO. Peak season will, of course, be much more expensive to buy into than off-season but maintenance fees are the same regardless of season.
  2. SDO is one of the few mandatory resorts within the Vistana (formerly Starwood) system. It is, therefore, an excellent trader within Vistana to other Vistana resorts.
  3. Vistana resorts are much different in quality, generally, than Wyndham. Vistana resorts are among the top end of quality.
All in all, I think it's a great choice for you! Be sure, however, to work with a reputable broker and closing company to be sure you're not ripped off. Check the TUG boards for recommendations of reputable brokers and closing companies. Good luck!

bdakerman

Reaction score
You're on the right track. Here my answers and suggestions for you:
  1. Sheraton Desert Oasis is a nice resort in Scottsdale but--as you have deduced--because of the severe seasonality in demand for the Arizona desert, it is NOT peak season year-round as you would find in Hawaii. There are definite seasons, and SDO does trade on a seasonal calendar. Please check the sticky "Vistana/Starwood Owner Resources" to find a chart with information on seasons and points associated with those seasons at SDO. Peak season will, of course, be much more expensive to buy into than off-season but maintenance fees are the same regardless of season.
  2. SDO is one of the few mandatory resorts within the Vistana (formerly Starwood) system. It is, therefore, an excellent trader within Vistana to other Vistana resorts.
  3. Vistana resorts are much different in quality, generally, than Wyndham. Vistana resorts are among the top end of quality.
All in all, I think it's a great choice for you! Be sure, however, to work with a reputable broker and closing company to be sure you're not ripped off. Check the TUG boards for recommendations of reputable brokers and closing companies. Good luck!

Hi, thank you so much for the help ... I just looked for te calendar to see how to use points ... I was unable to find what you were telling me to look for. Can you please link it?

Is there a full list to see all of the Vistana resorts that we could trade Scottsdale for?

Are Vistana resorts higher quality that Whndham? I think that is what you were telling me?

And, what is a better option? points or fixed place? or neither ... just what you pick?

thanks!

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Sounds pretty good, especially since it's a lock-out and you can probably split it into two weeks to deposit.

I do not understand why you could not plan ahead with the resort to reserve a week a year or two out and get the week you want. Your comment that it's a joke to be able to do that surprises me. All the resorts we have dealt with let owners reserve weeks within their system rules ... even if it's calling up at midnight the dates reservations open , or one we know, even has a lottery type reservation procedure.

You do not say where you live and if this location is good for you ( easy to get to often to enjoy) as well as to trade it. I think it would be a good trade but be aware that now the exchange fee with RCI is $230 so that would add to your vacation cost.

We are Wyndham owners and like the flexibility of the points, but to start out, a floating week resort would be very useful.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't need to be in a hurry if the auction is ending. There will be plenty more available after you've had some time to really look into what exactly you want and how you'd use it.

bdakerman

Reaction score
You don't need to be in a hurry if the auction is ending. There will be plenty more available after you've had some time to really look into what exactly you want and how you'd use it.

No hurry..... just wanting to try to figure this all out .... I am trying to figure out what is better .... a place or points :shrug:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
No hurry..... just wanting to try to figure this all out .... I am trying to figure out what is better .... a place or points :shrug:
This may or not be helpful. I have owned both types of timeshares. Places are nice if you want a vacation home without any of the work of maintaining and endless costs of owning a vacation home. You have to really love the place, though.

Points are great because you can go to so many different places. Some systems, like Worldmark, have so many choices you can go to national parks, Hawaii, theme parks, all over the California coast, lots of nice desert areas.. etc. You also don't need to stay a full week. Points are great if you want shorter or longer than one week stays anywhere.

We bought a campground membership way before we bought any timeshares. It is my favorite place over any of the timeshares because it was our "vacation home." Our kids grew up going there. Even though it has changed drastically over the years, we have a sense of comfort there. Every corner has a different memory. It is very special to us.

We have a timeshare that we also love as a vacation home and have decided that we want to stay there for a week annually. That wasn't even the plan when we bought it, but after having it for a few years and traveling to other places and owning lots of other timeshare systems, we decided that was our home away from home.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
SDO is mandatory SO's? That is news to me.

You can buy Platinum season and have a better unit for trading power and for personal use.

We own an EOY SDO 2 bedroom, 1-52, and it has decent trading power.

Westin Kierland Villas would be an ideal purchase for Staroptions. When I get rid of about 10 of my weeks and all of my Shell points, I think Rick would be okay with me buying a few of those. I am also wanting to add Hyatt points to the mix.

bdakerman

Reaction score
This may or not be helpful. I have owned both types of timeshares. Places are nice if you want a vacation home without any of the work of maintaining and endless costs of owning a vacation home. You have to really love the place, though.

Points are great because you can go to so many different places. Some systems, like Worldmark, have so many choices you can go to national parks, Hawaii, theme parks, all over the California coast, lots of nice desert areas.. etc. You also don't need to stay a full week. Points are great if you want shorter or longer than one week stays anywhere.

We bought a campground membership way before we bought any timeshares. It is my favorite place over any of the timeshares because it was our "vacation home." Our kids grew up going there. Even though it has changed drastically over the years, we have a sense of comfort there. Every corner has a different memory. It is very special to us.

We have a timeshare that we also love as a vacation home and have decided that we want to stay there for a week annually. That wasn't even the plan when we bought it, but after having it for a few years and traveling to other places and owning lots of other timeshare systems, we decided that was our home away from home.
Thanks --- yes, your info really did help me.

We have lived in Italy for the last couple of years and are home now in the US getting our lives back together. We owned a camper prior to moving abroad .... WE LOVE IT! Our new camper will be bought hopefully before the year ends. And, yes I know what you mean, the memories created are priceless!!!

See, now I am thinking that points would be best for us .... are there linnks to where I can see all the places to use points at and how much it costs?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi, thank you so much for the help ... I just looked for te calendar to see how to use points ... I was unable to find what you were telling me to look for. Can you please link it?

Is there a full list to see all of the Vistana resorts that we could trade Scottsdale for?

Are Vistana resorts higher quality that Whndham? I think that is what you were telling me?

And, what is a better option? points or fixed place? or neither ... just what you pick?

thanks!

Platinum Season is Weeks 1-21 and 50-52. Gold Season is Weeks 22-27 and 36-49. Silver Season is Weeks 28-35.

Regarding a list of Vistana resorts, click here.

As others have stated, if you want to trade, you have picked a good trader. If you like Scottsdale as a vacation spot, you have also picked a good home resort. I don't think you can lose with the property you've selected.

Yes, Vistana/Starwood resorts are among the highest quality in the timeshare industry.

bdakerman

Reaction score

You can buy Platinum season and have a better unit for trading power and for personal use.

We own an EOY SDO 2 bedroom, 1-52, and it has decent trading power.

Westin Kierland Villas would be an ideal purchase for Staroptions. When I get rid of about 10 of my weeks and all of my Shell points, I think Rick would be okay with me buying a few of those. I am also wanting to add Hyatt points to the mix.
What is Platinum season? What is EOY --- the last part of your post -- I am lost. I don't know all the lingo.....

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You're right, Rick. I stand corrected. SDO is not a mandatory resort. To the OP: if you buy SDO, you cannot trade within the Vistana system, but it is still a good trading unit within Interval International, the exchanging company that Vistana works through.

bdakerman

Reaction score
You're right, Rick. I stand corrected. SDO is not a mandatory resort. To the OP: if you buy SDO, you cannot trade within the Vistana system, but it is still a good trading unit within Interval International, the exchanging company that Vistana works through.
Thank you -- so I CAN'T trade for other Vistana properties????? ... but I can use Interval International.

bdakerman

Reaction score
Platinum Season is Weeks 1-21 and 50-52. Gold Season is Weeks 22-27 and 36-49. Silver Season is Weeks 28-35.

Regarding a list of Vistana resorts, click here.

As others have stated, if you want to trade, you have picked a good trader. If you like Scottsdale as a vacation spot, you have also picked a good home resort. I don't think you can lose with the property you've selected.

Yes, Vistana/Starwood resorts are among the highest quality in the timeshare industry.
Thanks!!! Is there a place to see weeks in the year and how many points it takes to stay there?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thank you -- so I CAN'T trade for other Vistana properties????? ... but I can use Interval International.

You will not have access to Vistana's internal trading system (StarOptions) because SDO is not mandatory and you would be buying resale. Yes, you can trade it through Interval.

That said, perhaps others should chime in on how those trades are currently working. I owned two SDO units a few years back and it was easy to get off-season trades into Maui. I understand that that is no longer the case, so do some due diligence before buying this unit with the expectation of easy trading.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks!!! Is there a place to see weeks in the year and how many points it takes to stay there?

You will not have access to this "points" based system (actually StarOptions).

bdakerman

Reaction score
You will not have access to Vistana's internal trading system (StarOptions) because SDO is not mandatory and you would be buying resale. Yes, you can trade it through Interval.

That said, perhaps others should chime in on how those trades are currently working. I owned two SDO units a few years back and it was easy to get off-season trades into Maui. I understand that that is no longer the case, so do some due diligence before buying this unit with the expectation of easy trading.
Where do I begin to look to do my due diligence to see if a property is an "easy trade" ?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
We want to be able to trade our timeshare and trade for places all over the world ... would points be a better option for this? I have been looking into Whyndham points. UGH this is so hard ...
It just seems hard because you are trying to eat the entire elephant all at once. Did you see this to help put you on the right track?:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-newbies.208742/

Take your time and take it step by step, and you will find just the timeshare for you.

Generally, points would be better if you plan on trading most of the time. Points systems will save you the exchange fees when trading within the system; you just spend the points to book what you want.

Decide if you want fancy or mid-grade. WorldMark and Club Wyndham are what I would consider mid-grade, although they have some units that are comparable to Hilton, Marriott, or Starwood (at correspondingly higher points costs). I have heard the 3 bedroom units are WorldMark Reunion in Orlando are very nice.

Or maybe location, location, location is the most important to you. Then look to which timeshare systems have resorts where you want to go. Here are the maps for Club Wyndham

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/plus_membersdirectory1415/#/4

and WorldMark

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/resorts/

The popular locations book at or near 13 months in advance. You will need to plan ahead to reserve popular units at popular times in points systems.

This is a rough idea of what costs are in WorldMark. A 1 bedroom in WorldMark during red season is 10,000 credits. Purchase price would be in the $3500 range for 10,000 credits with annual maintenance fees currently at $800 per year.

There is a learning curve to using any timeshare, and points systems require a few hours of study to get the most value, but I think it is worth the time invested.

These are the rules for WorldMark to give you an idea how a points timeshare works.

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/board/info/pdfs/WM_Club_Guidelines.pdf

I found it confusing at first, and it took more than a few readings with a highlighter to understand it, but now I reap year-after-year of really nice vacations for less than 1/2 of what a rental would be where and when I vacation (and that comparison includes the amortized purchase cost).

WorldMark has excellent trading power when you want to exchange. Buy WorldMark resale, then join Interval International or RCI through WorldMark paying an additional membership fee each year that you want to exchange outside of the system. (Club Wyndham is RCI only).

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
It just seems hard because you are trying to eat the entire elephant all at once. Did you see this to help put you on the right track?:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-newbies.208742/

I'd second the advice of CO skier

Additionally, I suggest you read this page top to bottom:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timesharing_101_an_introduction_to_timeshares.html

Where do I begin to look to do my due diligence to see if a property is an "easy trade" ?

It's not easy to do due diligence research on what is the trade power of a specific week at a specific timeshare resort. Both the trade power of the week you deposit into an exchange company and the week you want from the exchange company fluctuates with supply and demand.

That's why you'll sometimes see people on this board complaining that they used to be able to do an exchange, but now they cant. Conversely, you'll see people in this board bragging about how they deposited a white season studio and exchanged into a 3 bdr beachfront timeshare in the middle of summer.

Trading up and trading down are all possible, but, in general, it's a lot easier to down-trade than to up-trade (like everything else in life).

In the article above you'll find this valuable piece of advice:

"A good general rule is to buy a timeshare you would like to use regularly. By doing so, you are guaranteeing that you will be able to take vacations that you will enjoy, and you will avoid paying exchange fees to obtain accommodations in the area. "

I agree with that advice. Find a timeshare you like and will use frequently without any need for exchanging. Do not get a timeshare with the primary purpose of exchanging it, and furthermore, try to avoid exchanges. Then dip your toes into exchanging slowly. Exchanging is a universe unto its own, and it changes. I dont think anyone here can tailor advice specific to your needs, only you can do that.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Buying Wyndham points gives you many options. Same for Worldmark. Wyndham comes with an RCI membership for trading purposes. Also it is good to know that Wyndham owns all three (Wyndham, Worldmark and RCI). Worldmark has a very large presence in the western US, not hardly anything east of the Mississippi. Wyndham covers most all the eastern states and most of the west except the Northwest where they have nothing but the ability to trade into Worldmark. Look at the guides you got links to to decide where you would prefer to travel. Worldmark will cost you more to buy-in on average but cost less for maintenance fees.

As others have cautioned, take your time making a decision. We can help point you in the right direction and give advice, but only YOU know what you want. There is ALWAYS another good deal just around the corner.

bdakerman

Reaction score

Take your time and take it step by step, and you will find just the timeshare for you.

Generally, points would be better if you plan on trading most of the time. Points systems will save you the exchange fees when trading within the system; you just spend the points to book what you want.

Decide if you want fancy or mid-grade. WorldMark and Club Wyndham are what I would consider mid-grade, although they have some units that are comparable to Hilton, Marriott, or Starwood (at correspondingly higher points costs). I have heard the 3 bedroom units are WorldMark Reunion in Orlando are very nice.

Or maybe location, location, location is the most important to you. Then look to which timeshare systems have resorts where you want to go. Here are the maps for Club Wyndham

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/plus_membersdirectory1415/#/4

and WorldMark

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/resorts/

The popular locations book at or near 13 months in advance. You will need to plan ahead to reserve popular units at popular times in points systems.

This is a rough idea of what costs are in WorldMark. A 1 bedroom in WorldMark during red season is 10,000 credits. Purchase price would be in the $3500 range for 10,000 credits with annual maintenance fees currently at $800 per year.

There is a learning curve to using any timeshare, and points systems require a few hours of study to get the most value, but I think it is worth the time invested.

These are the rules for WorldMark to give you an idea how a points timeshare works.

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/board/info/pdfs/WM_Club_Guidelines.pdf

I found it confusing at first, and it took more than a few readings with a highlighter to understand it, but now I reap year-after-year of really nice vacations for less than 1/2 of what a rental would be where and when I vacation (and that comparison includes the amortized purchase cost).

WorldMark has excellent trading power when you want to exchange. Buy WorldMark resale, then join Interval International or RCI through WorldMark paying an additional membership fee each year that you want to exchange outside of the system. (Club Wyndham is RCI only).

Thanks, I am going to check out all your liniks and be back with my questions ... for now ... here is this.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Someplace warm all year long.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Both, love to have a place that we want to go to year after year .... and trade if we wanted to see someplace new.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Anyplace really ... new places we have not been ... international too.

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 5

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? School schedule

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? yes.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 3-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? we CAN afford a lot --- but don't want to spend a lot for our first go.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? we can do the normal MF of a 2br 2 bath place 1200 or so

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? yes

bdakerman

Reaction score
Buying Wyndham points gives you many options. Same for Worldmark. Wyndham comes with an RCI membership for trading purposes. Also it is good to know that Wyndham owns all three (Wyndham, Worldmark and RCI). Worldmark has a very large presence in the western US, not hardly anything east of the Mississippi. Wyndham covers most all the eastern states and most of the west except the Northwest where they have nothing but the ability to trade into Worldmark. Look at the guides you got links to to decide where you would prefer to travel. Worldmark will cost you more to buy-in on average but cost less for maintenance fees.

As others have cautioned, take your time making a decision. We can help point you in the right direction and give advice, but only YOU know what you want. There is ALWAYS another good deal just around the corner.

So, I have been looking on Ebay. I found that you can buy RCI points .... and points associated with a specific resort and week there. Is it better to buy RCI points and just use them within their system for a place to go ... or buy Hyatt points that are specific to a resort but trade them out for a place you want to go .... or Whyndam points assocaited to a specific resort and trade them too ???

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
So, I have been looking on Ebay. I found that you can buy RCI points .... and points associated with a specific resort and week there. Is it better to buy RCI points and just use them within their system for a place to go ... or buy Hyatt points that are specific to a resort but trade them out for a place you want to go .... or Whyndam points assocaited to a specific resort and trade them too ???

Wyndham owns RCI. You can trade your Wyndham points for weeks in RCI. Hyatt is a higher end timeshare than Wyndham. Not sure who they trade thru.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham also owns SHELL VACATION RESORTS ... most of the Shell Resorts are west of the Mississippi River.

If you buy from the Wyndham resorts directly, you get some limited units to book internally between its sister companies (Shell, Wyndham, Worldmark).

I found it much cheaper just buy resale Wyndham points and resale Shell points ... OR to just RENT from other owners.

Lots to learn ... keep reading and asking questions.