• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HICV Sales Presentation

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife and I are attending a sales presentation this weekend for HICV in the Smoky Mountains. We're Wyndham resale owners, so no chance we buy anything of course. However, I like to go into these things somewhat informed, so if there are any HICV experts out there, can you answer a few questions for me?

1. Let's say I wanted enough points for a 2BR unit most places. It seems like 200k-250k would be enough. What's the developer price for this level of ownership, and how does resale work for HICV.

2. There are always "advantages" for buying from the developer. What are the common ones for HICV?

3. How aggressive are the salespeople?

4. Can anyone compare the system to Wyndham? Wyndham has more resorts for sure, but how are the amenities/quality levels of the resorts? Similar to Wyndham? Better? Worse?

Thank you all in advance.

Jeff

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
I can help with 1, 2 and 3

1. 200K -250K is plenty for a two bedroom in just about all of there resorts. Being smart you can probably get a few weeks out of that. My guess for cost would be around $42,000 to buy from developer. Resale units for most resorts revert back to the week you own and not the points system. The only exceptions are Myrtle Beach, Smokey Mountains, and Lake Geneva which are automatically point based.
2. Only advantages of buying from developer are the membership levels. Depending on amount of points you own, you will be given discounts, upgrades and extra vacation time.
3. Very aggressive in some locations. I think Orlando and Myrtle Beach they are the most aggressive but have heard some of the other resorts they aren't as bad.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

1. Let's say I wanted enough points for a 2BR unit most places. It seems like 200k-250k would be enough. What's the developer price for this level of ownership, and how does resale work for HICV.

Here's a link to a consolidated chart of points values by resort, unit size, and season.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HB00pcN4u116afQyKAG1iumSddSaSTmC8rf5OoeN9Yc

By filtering on 2BR, I come up with an average of 170K for Diamond (highest season) and an average of 144K for Platinum (next highest).

I think 14 cents/per points is about the lowest price you can get, so you are looking at $20K best case for 144K points.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Group

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
keep in mind that most HIVC memberships are worth absolutely nothing on the resale market...might be a better idea to work backwards and try to find something worth the extra 10 to 20 thousand youd have to pay to buy from them vs resale!

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. Much appreciated. One thing that was surprising to us was that they didn't even allow us to stay in the resort at the Smoky Mountains. Rather, we are staying in the Holiday Inn Express hotel. It seems like a mistake on their part to not let you enjoy the resort, but whatever.

We certainly won't be buying from them, but I like to go into these meetings informed.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Many years ago if you were a non-owner and had signed up for a Sales Pitch at WM Seaside they put you up in the WM Seaside. The Owners finally raised a ruckus because the WYN Sales Staff was using so many of the Rooms. So now they put you up at the Shilo Inn across the street.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The traditional non owner timeshare 3 day/2 night has been in a moderate class hotel/motel near the timeshare. That way when you compare the room you just stayed in which was nice/ok and supposedly the type of place you have traditionally stay in to the resort you will be doubly impressed. Also they want to cut out the perpetual tour taker who would never buy because they can do previews and stay in the same resort for less than owning.

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know for sure that Marriott has you stay in their resort, and I'm pretty sure Wyndham does too. Just seems odd to me.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would search for a resale at the HIVC HICV properties. They are available online in various places for pennies on the dollar. Maybe under $1000 for a nice resort.

Here's a link to a consolidated chart of points values by resort, unit size, and season.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HB00pcN4u116afQyKAG1iumSddSaSTmC8rf5OoeN9Yc

By filtering on 2BR, I come up with an average of 170K for Diamond (highest season) and an average of 144K for Platinum (next highest).

I think 14 cents/per points is about the lowest price you can get, so you are looking at $20K best case for 144K points.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Group

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the information. After looking at the system in more detail, I'm not sure that they provide much that our Wyndham ownership doesn't already cover for us. Oh how I wish Marriott resale points were a better price!