• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Club Vacations?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone please help me out with this term? Is there a difference between HICV and HIVC? (or would that be a typo). I'm interested in buying a resale and have been told the points will transfer to the buyer. Also, what is a 10,000 point contract worth? If I look at the HICV membership guide that translates to one night? That can't be right... Help!

Here is the membership guide I looked at: http://holidayinnclub.com/pdf/2017_Member_Guide.pdf

Thanks!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
HICV is correct. HIVC is the typo not to be confused with Hilton- HGVC.
10,000 points contracts at Lake Geneva really have no value. It really is much less than a week. Those contracts were sold to some extent as paid retail contracts sold for a few thousand dollars in order to convert weeks at resorts that did not transfer as points as resale. If you are buying a resale points contract you want to buy at least 100,000 to make it useful to use for more than RCI rental weeks.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. If I was to purchase one of these smaller contracts, would it be easier to book Lake Geneva for a week through some kind of HICV benefit? Perhaps a last minute rental through Holiday Inn.

Are there any benefits at all to owning a smaller contract such as this? (especially if I'm only interested in Lake Geneva right now).

Last edited:

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
HICV is correct BUT many folks here and elsewhere online often use HIVC. I did so myself at first when I joined. When I searched HICV I found that I was missing many posts because the poster had used HIVC. Thus, I began to use both terms whenever I posted something on TUG so that Tuggers could find all of the posts.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. If I was to purchase one of these smaller contracts, would it be easier to book Lake Geneva for a week through some kind of HICV benefit? Perhaps a last minute rental through Holiday Inn.

Are there any benefits at all to owning a smaller contract such as this? (especially if I'm only interested in Lake Geneva right now).

You can check HICV availability - that's about it. It really is about 1 night. Owning this will trigger an annual Lake Geneva membership fee of $29 and an annual HICV club fee of $126.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Group

Solai marie

Reaction score
Is there any owner that used to own at summer bay dessert club that purchased with hivc?

Solai marie

Reaction score
How can I get ahold of the board members still at the summer bay Vegas property

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Is there any owner that used to own at summer bay dessert club that purchased with hivc?
I owned at Summer Bay, and at the time of conversion to HICV, we were able to buy in for only $104. We had to commit for 3 years. I got 98,000 points for my 1BR

Solai marie

Reaction score
Do you know how much holiday inn will give you for your unit if you decide to trade it in and upgrade?

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know how much holiday inn will give you for your unit if you decide to trade it in and upgrade?

I think if you bought it from the developer they will give you close to full credit towards an upgrade. If you bought it resale, they will give you a fraction (something like 1/3) towards an upgrade. Generally speaking, you are better off buying resale weeks and then buying a small unit from HICV to do a onetime conversion to points and get status.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Goup

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I owned at Summer Bay before it became affiliated with HIVC HICV. I was fortunate that I was able to buy into the system for about $104 and convert all of my weeks into the HIVC HICV system. There was another fee, I can't remember. But it was only about $200 or so. All in all, it was a good deal because I was able to convert all of my three weeks/units for the one price and get the points.

Hope this helps.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The offer for the Vegas owners was a limited time offer and only if you already owned prior to the time HICV took over. If you chose not to enroll at that time or if you purchase after the transfer to HICV than the $200 offer is off the table. You would need to purchase a points package with HICV and the cost is going to be in the ball park of $8000 in order to convert/enroll your current week into points. If you were purchasing a new retail purchase of $20,000+ of new money they might give you a couple thousand toward the total new purchase.

Spartans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I heard someone say on this site that if you buy resale for south beach you get the points. What if it's a fixed week 29. It doesn't say it's a points based property on ebay.