• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Vacation Club - buying resale points

RBV0108

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to the group. Recently, we participated in a HIVC presentation with no intention to buy, but were impressed, felt we were getting a good deal, and took the bait. We were super excited! A friend of a friend recommended we do a little research on these boards. So I did. And learned that we could (and should) cancel our purchase. We were still within the time frame, so I sent that rescind letter off today and am feeling lucky that we found this board in time! :whoopie: For anyone curious (or doing their research before going to a HIVC presentation) we bought 96,000 points with 60,000 bonus points, even years, $350/year MF, for about $12k. I thought it was a smoking deal, but then read of others on here getting similar, and realized people are practically giving away their time shares on sites like ebay. So now we'd like to take our time and learn the system, shop around a bit, and buy resale.

I was really impressed with the HIVC system, especially with rolling unused points and being able to use RCI and the hotel group (forget the abbreviation).

**So here is my question that I have not been able to find an answer to yet - I know that there are only three home resorts we can buy at to get points (Myrtle Beach, one of the Gatlinburg's and Minnesota) - BUT, once points are bought from one of those resorts, does it then automatically work as points we can use whenever and wherever (as if we had bought directly from the dealer?) OR do we have to do the $8k purchase through HIVC and roll them into it??**

I appreciate the feedback and the help these boards have given us so far! Looking forward to learning more from everyone :)

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lake Geneva, Gatlinburg, and South Beach have all floating inventory, and they use HICV as their reservation system, so resale purchases at this properties will get you into the points program.

Generally speaking, resale prices for HICV points units are $10-$20/1K points (including closing) depending on how good of a deal maintenance is ($6/1K points at the low end or $5/1K points at the high end) but if you wait long enough on Ebay you can find a better deal.

I purchase anything I can get for less than about half of that and have extra units available if you are interested at those prices.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Group

BILBO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Scott. You seem so experienced at this HIVC timeshare system. Could I ask you a question, please? I own at O Lake but I'm getting on now, less mobile, less income and can't travel as I did so I need to get rid of them. What is the best and safest/most secure way for me to sell mid summer Weeks with points??

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Scott. You seem so experienced at this HIVC timeshare system. Could I ask you a question, please? I own at O Lake but I'm getting on now, less mobile, less income and can't travel as I did so I need to get rid of them. What is the best and safest/most secure way for me to sell mid summer Weeks with points??

If you provide week, unit size, maintenance/taxes, and annual points, I can provide a value estimate.

Thanks,

Scott

BILBO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scott. I really appreciate your reply.
We own weeks 25, 27, 31 at Orange Lake - all 2 bed units in West Village bought via resale from Century 21 in Orlando. Maintenance Fee is $975 (I think) and each villa gives us 179,000 points.
We are British expats living in the Middle East and now only use the points in IHG hotels - haven't been to a timeshare for years. They are no longer cost effective for us, now we're retiring and not in such good health.
I have no idea how to go about getting rid of them. I'm nervous about the legal/paperwork side of things and don't want to have any big costs in the process.
I would be really grateful for your advice. Happy to email privately if you prefer.
Lyn

Last edited:

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scott. I really appreciate your reply.
We own weeks 25, 27, 31 at Orange Lake - all 2 bed units in West Village bought via resale from Century 21 in Orlando. Maintenance Fee is $975 (I think) and each villa gives us 179,000 points.
We are British expats living in the Middle East and now only use the points in IHG hotels - haven't been to a timeshare for years. They are no longer cost effective for us, now we're retiring and not in such good health.
I have no idea how to go about getting rid of them. I'm nervous about the legal/paperwork side of things and don't want to have any big costs in the process.
I would be really grateful for your advice. Happy to email privately if you prefer.
Lyn

Those sounds like 159K units, which puts maintenance at a little over $6/1K - whoever buys them from you won't get points, so there's not any value there. You can contact HICV to see if they will take them back for free - otherwise, I have a contact that will transfer them out of your name and resell them, at a cost of $1250 each.

-Scott

BILBO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I take it the cost of $1250 each villa going to your contact would be my expense?