• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Vacation Club - Help, How Do We Get OUT!!!!

TheRhones

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Vacation Club
We 'upgraded' our timeshare a few months ago and went from weeks to points with HVC. Our monthly payments are astronomically high and I've called the Timeshare Relief company, who sent me here. Anyone have any suggestions or resources on how to get out of it? I am long beyond my 10 day 'grace period'. Any help or info would be appreciated.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
A relief company isn't the best way to go. It sounds like you upgraded your Silverleaf week. Even though you are beyond your grace period write to HIVC and the attorney general in the states you converted and the state where your timeshare is located. Does the paperwork indicate anywhere about the large increase in MF's? If not I think it is really deceptive because conversion within the HIVC system never implied a change in the way MF were calculated so the logical assumption would be that MF would change very little if at all with conversion to the points system.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
What appealed to you about upgrading at the time you signed? I think you are going to need to learn to use what you bought. It's too late to get out. You can write a letter to HIVC and ask to get out, but you are way past your rescission period. Try to write a letter, but I am afraid you will either get no response, or you will get a response that is negative.

Timeshare salespeople do count on the naivete of their victims, unfortunately.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What appealed to you about upgrading at the time you signed? I think you are going to need to learn to use what you bought. It's too late to get out. You can write a letter to HIVC and ask to get out, but you are way past your rescission period. Try to write a letter, but I am afraid you will either get no response, or you will get a response that is negative.

What they do is tell you that your current week is worth lets say 400,000 points and that if you purchase a studio for $8000 with a MF of $600 or so, you will have 490,000 to use in the system. Current MF on the Silverleaf week is about $900. You want the points you are ok with paying the $8000. Fast forward a few months later you get a bill for next year's MF and instead of the $1500 you were expecting, you get a bill for $3900 because now instead of calculating the original week as a week they changed it to calculating it by the point so now that MF more than tripled on the high season high point week vs keeping it in weeks. I don't have any first hand knowledge but this is the way it has been described to me.

So let's say when you converted your plantation resort to points and paid the conversion fee to do so and were happy with the 105,000 points but found out months later that instead of paying $800 MF for the week, the conversion now changes the way your mf is calculated and now you own $0.025 per point or $2625 for that week. Unless that was specifically spelled out in the paperwork it is really deceptive especially since other conversions don't change the way MF is determined.

TheRhones

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A relief company isn't the best way to go. It sounds like you upgraded your Silverleaf week. Even though you are beyond your grace period write to HIVC and the attorney general in the states you converted and the state where your timeshare is located. Does the paperwork indicate anywhere about the large increase in MF's? If not I think it is really deceptive because conversion within the HIVC system never implied a change in the way MF were calculated so the logical assumption would be that MF would change very little if at all with conversion to the points system.

You are correct - we upgraded our Silverleaf week. We are in Illinois, so I will take your advice and write to both HIVC and the attorney general. I will have to check our paperwork to confirm regarding the MF increase. Thanks for your help! I'll keep you poste.

TheRhones

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What they do is tell you that your current week is worth lets say 400,000 points and that if you purchase a studio for $8000 with a MF of $600 or so, you will have 490,000 to use in the system. Current MF on the Silverleaf week is about $900. You want the points you are ok with paying the $8000. Fast forward a few months later you get a bill for next year's MF and instead of the $1500 you were expecting, you get a bill for $3900 because now instead of calculating the original week as a week they changed it to calculating it by the point so now that MF more than tripled on the high season high point week vs keeping it in weeks. I don't have any first hand knowledge but this is the way it has been described to me.

So let's say when you converted your plantation resort to points and paid the conversion fee to do so and were happy with the 105,000 points but found out months later that instead of paying $800 MF for the week, the conversion now changes the way your mf is calculated and now you own $0.025 per point or $2625 for that week. Unless that was specifically spelled out in the paperwork it is really deceptive especially since other conversions don't change the way MF is determined.

Thank you both!

We had a bi-annual setup at first, so the idea of being able to use our home resort for bonus time AND to have access to the Holiday Inn sites was very appealing. After seeing our monthly payments increase, I'm terrified what our annual MF will look like. I appreciate all the help.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if there is no loan attached left to pay off, you could likely give it away to end your maintenance fee obligation.

however unfortunately most HIVC ownerships have no resale value.

http://sell.tug2.net

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I need a shower after reading this. So deceptive.

What surprises me is that a Timeshare Relief company recommended TUG. I don't associate a relief company with giving helpful advice.
I hope the OP is able to get rid of the TS.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I need a shower after reading this. So deceptive.

What surprises me is that a Timeshare Relief company recommended TUG. I don't associate a relief company with giving helpful advice.
I hope the OP is able to get rid of the TS.

I was surprised by that too.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
It sounds like buyers remorse to me. The monthly payments shouldn't be a surprise, they will be in your contract. New maintenance fees haven't come out yet for this year so he shouldn't have any issues with that yet. I never understand why someone would finance a purchase like this in the first place. If you cant afford, dont buy.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sounds like buyers remorse to me. The monthly payments shouldn't be a surprise, they will be in your contract. New maintenance fees haven't come out yet for this year so he shouldn't have any issues with that yet. I never understand why someone would finance a purchase like this in the first place. If you cant afford, dont buy.
Silverleaf MF's are charged monthly the same way Wyndham's are charged.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Once he converted to HICV it goes to yearly.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Did you buy to exchange or are you just staying at OL?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never understand why someone would finance a purchase like this in the first place. If you cant afford, dont buy.

The same reason why someone would finance a car, a house, or living room furniture. The person wants/needs it now but does not have enough money at the moment.

I'm not saying it's smart. I'm just saying why people do it.