• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Vacation Club Resale Question

mrchairman01

Reaction score
I just returned from Vegas doing a HIVC preview. I like their system and the way its setup. I told the rep I could buy the same point package for 1/3 of retail. She told me that is true but upon resale it converts to a week and it won't be points based anymore. Furthermore, I wouldn't have the option to change locations and use the points to book hotels rooms, ect. Is this true? I can find no information online to support this claim.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
This is true for resales at the Las Vegas location. You can, however, book your week and deposit it into an exchange company (I use SFX) to trade to other locations. You cannot use it for hotel points.
However, there are a couple of their resorts that do keep their points upon resale. I believe Myrtle Beach is one if them.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Three HICV places bought on resale are points bases. South Beach, Gatlinburg and Lake Geneva. All other locations at this time if they were converted to points will revert back to weeks only, if sold unless it was sold to family.
I converted to points and have added to my portfolio with the above 3 and it has allowed me to reserve more vacations with the extra points.

Some group resales together and convert all at one time, buying a property from retail to do so. Vegas is the cheapest MF's / per point ratio

HICV system is pretty good, I like what I have, I was lucky to be in at the beginning and make it work to my best interest. BUT I would rent if I had it all to do over again knowing what I know now with sights like TUG and Redweek

It takes a lot of points to really take advantage of hotel stays. Dollar for dollar , most the time your not saving money using points.

You have to be a planner if it is a prime vacation week (thats anytime the kids are out of school) and be able to book 10 months in advance for YOUR ideal vacation. If you were a planner you would be better off hooking up with someone like myself who rents extra points for little more than what it would cost you to own a week in the system. What you don't know is the annual $126 fee to be a points owner plus a $94 per reservation fee using point saver added to your annual MF's per year.

This is just my opinion , what works for one may not work for another, buy at your own risk, I did just that and I am happy with my results.

Dave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake
Thanks Dave for your post. Very helpful understanding the points experience. We have a fixed week at orange lake. We will stick with it.

-Steve