• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you report spam threads?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
At the bottom of each post is a "report" link. You can also ignore the user (which is what I did in this instance after reporting it).

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you report a post in this new format?
84 spam threads so far.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?members/liqinf1.91031/

I already sent a message to admin via "contact bbs admin". I for one am reluctant to open posts with embedded Chinese characters in order to "report" the spam (which you need to do in order to "report" a post at all, afaik). Can't possibly know what link or junk one might be inadvertently exposed to in doing that. Some (non-Chinese) spams I've seen on TUG on occasion have actually included a complete URL as the subject line, so if you "open" such a spam message to "report" it, you have instead just clicked on a highly questionable link.

I think the new TUG Xenforo BBS software is great and certainly very user friendly, but being a real techno-dunce I just don't know or understand anything at all about its' security vulnerabilities. :shrug:

Just noticed that ever-savvy admin Makai Guy is now online, so the Chinese invasion is likely to soon meet its' match. :thumbup:

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The entire forum site was in Chinese today. Some of it still is.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The entire forum site was in Chinese today. Some of it still is.

I suspect that admin Makai Guy Doug will successfully crush this overnight Chinese invasion in relatively short order.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
But Doug, is it not fair to say that in order to "report" a post, you must first access (i.e., open) it? :ponder:

I for one, in my complete techno-ignorance, am reluctant to "open" any post with foreign language characters in order to "report" it, having absolutely no idea what I may have just "clicked on" in opening a post whose unknown characters are just Greek (...or Chinese) to me. :shrug:

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
The thread title in the thread list is just text. The underlying link is just to the post on the bbs, even if the visible text appears to contain a site URL or undecipherable foreign characters. Once you go to the post, though, don't click on any links in the post if you don't know where they go.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thread title in the thread list is just text. The underlying link is just to the post on the bbs, even if the visible text appears to contain a site URL or undecipherable foreign characters. Once you go to the post, though, don't click on any links in the post if you don't know where they go.

Very good and useful information to know --- thanks Doug! I am now proudly only 99.99% clueless. :)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks, I didn't notice the "Report" option right below the post (next to the date/time posted).

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I regularly report spam posts. Usually a one word notice is all the Mods need to handle things quickly. So when I see something I know shouldn't be there (especially the annoying sports game links), I click Report, type "Spam" and click the send button. Done deal. :thumbup:

Dave

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best method is to report the post via the report link at the bottom of a problem post as this is seen by ALL bbs Staff members. Contact Admin goes only to Brian and me.
This is very helpful to understand Doug. Thank you.

Have reported the obvious Spam before but occasionally have also reported stuff like "guest needs help" or some other request for mods when a poster is obviously lost. Wasn't sure if this is appropriate or not but it seemed logical at the time. :rolleyes:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The Chinese are still at it again as of this morning. Too many to report individually. Wonder why this is happening all of a sudden?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
It must be automated. I just report one from each userid and then ignore the profile (several users in this case), which cleans things up for my view, at least.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yeah this one has a little over one hundred posts.
Maybe there should be a limited on the number of posts by newbies for an initial period. :shrug:

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Yeah this one has a little over one hundred posts.
Maybe there should be a limited on the number of posts by newbies for an initial period. :shrug:

This is a great idea! Not sure how easily it could be done for guests. I've also seen some forums put all new registrations under moderation (first 5 or 10 posts have to be approved by a mod before being visible). That step typically crushes spammers, but recognize it's a huge burden on the mods if the site gets a lot of new sign ups.