• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How does a timeshare save me money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Let me know when Samoset has a deal. I'd love to go there.

3 weeks ago someone booked 2 rentals in 3 bedroom units for $200 on ebay. We thought we were going to have to pay upwards of $800+ Now we're going for $28.57/night! No way Priceline can beat that rate. I guess Timesharing can save me money after all!

* just kidding, I knew it could save money. we are still going to cook food, do laundry, etc.

Thank you Sue for sending me the PM about this deal. I'm so grateful. Wish I lived in California so I could do some of the other sell-offs they have.

--------------------------------------------------------
(not sure what happened when I tried the 'quote' feature---it didn't work properly)

Hey Blake---good work!!!

Pretend that 17 days ago you went on the TV show "Are YOU smarter than a 5th Grader".

The question is:

"How does a timeshare save me money?"

After 17 days, and 493 postings (almost 200 of yours)-----the answer is:

By going to Smuggs via SFX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAN THOSE 5th GRADERS ARE SMART!!!!

:rofl:

Pat

(p.s.. welcome aboard from another New Englander)

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was not talking about renting a week that I gave up. Putting the actual rules aside from RCI and II, I find it interesting that people are upset at others who rent exchanges (as a practice, not because it's against the rules). You only get an exchange because you deposited something of worth. It's give and take. At the end of the day you're renting something. I don't see why it's considered good manners to reserve-up all these weeks using points that now others have to rent at high prices but not acceptable to exchange into something and then rent that at a higher price. But I guess it doesn't matter if we agree. The rules are there so really the only moral question is if one should go against the rules because he/she doesn't like them. At this point I don't care, simply because I'm not experienced enough to have a stake in the matter. There's always two sides to a coin.

Are you talking about renting out a week that you have deposited with an exchange company? When you deposit the week, it is no longer yours but belongs to the exchange company.

There are people here on TUG that do rent out their weeks but these are not banked weeks. I rented a week in Hawaii at the Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk resort for a 2 BR unit from a guy that had 14 weeks rented out. He used his Wyndham points to get the weeks at the 60 day window and rents them out. It is not a business as it just offsets his cost of ownership. He has far more points than he can use personally. There is nothing wrong with what he is doing because the points are his and he is not renting out weeks banked with an exchange company.

In my opinion, I see nothing wrong with trying to get rid of an exchange week that you can't use for whatever reason. I definitely wouldn't advertise it nor would I make a habit of it. I would also get a guest certificate.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holy cow. You control that many reservations per year? No need to call. I'm not in that league yet.

Go to my post number 175 on this string. Those numbers were for just one ownership of that type. I have 12 of that type of ownerships as show on my signature not counting the other ownerships listed on my signature.

On most of those at anyone time I am allowed up to 4 reservations and when those reservations dates come up I can reserve another one of the same color.

I can have 1 red, any combo of 2 whites or blues. If I have those 3 reserved then I can reserve a 4th reservation of any color if it is within 45 days of its check in date. I do a few leap frog tricks. I typically have 44 to 48 reservations reserved at anyone time.

Bruce:D

Last edited:

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dude you should write an ebook and sell it for $30. I bet you'd have even yet another stream of income.

Go to my post number 175 on this string. Those numbers were for just one ownership of that type. I have 12 of that type of ownerships as show on my signature not counting the other ownerships listed on my signature.

On most of those at anyone time I am allowed up to 4 reservations and when those reservations dates come up I can reserve another one of the same color.

I can have 1 red, any combo of 2 whites or blues. If I have those 3 reserved then I can reserve a 4th reservation of any color if it is within 45 days of its check in date. I do a few leap frog tricks. I typically have 44 to 48 reservations reserved at anyone time.

Bruce:D

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Let me know when Samoset has a deal. I'd love to go there.

Samoset is a TOUGH trade during nice weather!!
(It can be had off-season)

The golf course is nice. It is usually $100+ when in good shape, but was running an unusual $49 deal in May.

We talked about going there for a round; but it never happened.

Pat

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Until our kids are on school vacation schedule I would go off season for that rate for a round or two. but at $100 a pop, that's tough.

Samoset is a TOUGH trade during nice weather!!
(It can be had off-season)

The golf course is nice. It is usually $100+ when in good shape, but was running an unusual $49 deal in May.

We talked about going there for a round; but it never happened.

Pat

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
Im confused. Bruce has the ultimate timeshare plan going where he can go anywhere and make money at it but it is completely wrong for anyone to rent out their exchange? Bruce I and shifty have alot to learn from you (honestly we do) but I dont understand how you busted his ***** because he thought he could rent exchanges when he couldnt. All us rookies on here hear is that we need to work the system for us to be worthwhile and you hit him hard for thinking he found a way.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was not talking about renting a week that I gave up. Putting the actual rules aside from RCI and II, I find it interesting that people are upset at others who rent exchanges (as a practice, not because it's against the rules). You only get an exchange because you deposited something of worth. It's give and take. At the end of the day you're renting something. I don't see why it's considered good manners to reserve-up all these weeks using points that now others have to rent at high prices but not acceptable to exchange into something and then rent that at a higher price. But I guess it doesn't matter if we agree. The rules are there so really the only moral question is if one should go against the rules because he/she doesn't like them. At this point I don't care, simply because I'm not experienced enough to have a stake in the matter. There's always two sides to a coin.

The difference is that he OWNS the Wyndham points and can do what he likes with them. He did not deposit them with an exchange company and the weeks he rents out are at Wyndham resorts. As I said, when you deposit your week with an exchange company, the week is not yours anymore. It belongs to the exchange company. Whether you agree or not with the exchange company's policy doesn't matter as that is the way it is.

What he is doing is no different than if you wanted to rent my week at my resort so I reserved it for you. It is my week so that is perfectly fine. The only difference is he owns points in a resort group.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im confused. Bruce has the ultimate timeshare plan going where he can go anywhere and make money at it but it is completely wrong for anyone to rent out their exchange? Bruce I and shifty have alot to learn from you (honestly we do) but I dont understand how you busted his ***** because he thought he could rent exchanges when he couldnt. All us rookies on here hear is that we need to work the system for us to be worthwhile and you hit him hard for thinking he found a way.

Quote " Bruce has the ultimate timeshare plan going where he can go anywhere and make money. Unquote. No not true. I do not have the ultimate timeshare plan going as I said in a other posts there are many on this board who are much smarter than I and do much better. Boca Bum is just one of them. Many do not post much as they keep the better timeshare money making secerts to them selves,

But when old time Tuggers offer good proven advice and then told they are wrong by a newbies it is natural for most to get their hackles up after it has happened several times.

Maybe the OP forgot that in a much earlier post I think I warned him if he was looking for a rental for his use to beware of someone trying to rent out to him a exchange as that is balantly against the RCI and II terms and conditions because he could lose that unit.

Then it appeared to me when he asked in a later post about the risk of renting out a exchange it seemed to me (rightly or a wrongly) that he was thinking of doing that with exchanges.

Then after that he posted that it was unfair of the exchange companies to do rentals and owners could not rent out rentals which could be taken by some (rightly or a wrongly) as a way to rationalize the renting out exchanges.

Then if you remember he apparently missunderstood what was going on when he said renters were being ripped off by those renting out at the Smuggs resort he later got a super rental deal through a exchange company.

Then he mixed a few things up and some of the other old timers posted that he had a few mistakes in his posts that were confusing.

I then pulled back and let him and the Canadian take a number of shots at me without responding and the postings stopped with the personal comments.
Since then I made IMHO what I thought were helpful posts.

I had been blamed for taking it off of topic. ButIMHO I felt the OP took it of topic first asking about the risk of renting out rentals.

I though when he said earlier something like that if I talked to him in person would help avoid the missinterpations that can lead to missunderstandings.

So I offered to both off line and on line to call him as I have free LD 24/7 for the US and Canada or he could call me. I gave him my home phone number. As you will note he declined in one of his last posts.

I think we have both moved on but now you seem to want stir it to take my inventory with your personal comments and you have taken it off topic, not me. I am now going to let go of your taking it off topic after pointing it out to you.

In regard to your Quote " but it is completely wrong for anyone to rent out their exchange?" Unquote

If it is RCI weeks, RCI Points or II and you agreed to those terms it is IMHO wrong to rent out those exchanges as you have broken your word and could result in very bad sitution for you and your renter.

If somone wants to risk their membership and unfairly risk someone elses vacation and your reputation and risk the legal $$$$$$$ sinkholes then that would be on you for.

But beware to those who are think of it as RCI does have people monitoring sites looking for people renting out exchanges. Like II did I think RCI watches Disney rentals of exchanges

That is one reason on all websites were room permitts on most of my ads I list the unit number and on all of my CMV ads on one website I am able to shown a copy of the reservation.

On other sites I post and tell them I am happy to send them a copy of a reservation or proof of a reservation or a copy of our ownership. So RCI and II knows that those are my weeks and not their weeks I exchanged for.

It is IMHO a pretty black and white situation with RCI and II in regards to renting out their exchanges..

That beeing said there are some exchange companies that do allow you to rent out your exchanges but I let you do the research and learn about which companies they are. But they are not RCI or II.

There are stilllegal ways to milk the systems but a lot of them are mentioned off line as the exchange companies due monitor these sites and close those loopholes after finding out about them.

Bruce :D

Last edited:

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dude you should write an ebook and sell it for $30. I bet you'd have even yet another stream of income.

Writing as you can tell is not a strong point of mine and that is why I perfer the phone.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We wish everyone a :wave: safe and:cheer: happy Memorial holiday.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! what a fountain of information

As one person that has been following this thread with interest, I want to say thank you to all that have posted. I have read and re-read and learned alot.

Although I have owned my timeshare for about 14 years, I have always just used it.

Now that I am older, have a larger family, and I am anticipating more leisure time, I am wanting to expand some of my timeshare acquisitions (and in my first attempt to do so) I have already made a few costly mistakes. So I am continuing to read and learn.

So thank you! And a great weekend to all.

elaine

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
I then pulled back and let him and the Canadian take a number of shots at me without responding and the postings stopped with the personal comments.
Since then I made IMHO what I thought were helpful posts.

Bruce,

I assume the Canadian is me - pretty sure I am the only one posting here. I reread my posts and don't see anything that I would construe as "a shot". I generally try to avoid that; as a user of many BBS systems for many years I consider personal shots against the decorum (and usually the rules) of all systems. I try to avoid having my posts reported to the moderator. If I did post something that upset you or was considered a shot against you, I do apologize.

Please accept my apology, and enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

M Ross

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wish me well peoples. Going on vacation tomorrow at my first TS, and at a insane rate. Can't thank everyone enough for helping me learn. Hopefully in a week I'll come back with greater understanding. As Smuggs tends to be one of the resorts you actually have to pay thousands to get into, I don't anticipate buying any time soon. For Bruce, I do have issues with your long post about my supposed comments and about the issue of what's right and wrong in regards to the strategies mentioned here by everyone, but I'm going to drop the issue because in the end that's not why I'm here - to find out what people think is right or wrong. I've got other areas of my life to learn those lessons. Clearly you were right about some things that I appeared to be considering, but I think what everyone is trying to say is that you need to be a bit more considerate and polite in the ways you express your disapproval of techniques people are considering. We can all disagree, but how you express that actually does matter. Don't worry though. I need to build some thick skin for when I'm in a sales presentation.

On a side note I thought I would let everyone know that when I called to confirm my reservation with Smuggs, they said they had me in the system at a California address through RCI. Personally I don't care how I got the rental as long as I didn't break any rules and I get the unit. That's a given as far as i can tell. But it is interesting to me that the lady said SFX might have used an RCI rental they negotiated with them for (and then when they couldn't use it, they just gave it away cheap). Apparently SFX has some interesting ways of getting properties and from Smuggs perspective I came through RCI. She did assure me that there's no issues though and updated my address with my real one. Not sure if this information is helpful to anyone. If you have insights, please do share.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bruce, I do have issues with your long post about my supposed comments and about the issue of what's right and wrong in regards to the strategies mentioned here by everyone, but I'm going to drop the issue because in the end that's not why I'm here - to find out what people think is right or wrong..

You just can not leave it alone and you again raised the issue in your post but try to claim you have dropped it.
Your claimed actions in that post is at odds with the content that post.

In a year review this string and you may have learned how off the wall and inane some of your arguments appear and your comments were not only to me but with others.

My issue’s with things that posted and were wrong.. Some of the other long time Tuggers pointed out were you were wrong.

Here are some simple facts

My posts are backed 10 years of Timeshare experience by us having done at least 400 rentals and over 200 the last 3 years and at least fifty exchanges and having owned 50 different ownerships and belonging to 6 exchange companies..

Your vast knowledge of timesharing and experience is backed by 0 exchanges, 0 ownerships, 0 rentals that you have rented to other people, 0 ownerships and being members of ? exchanges companies. In regards to your Cowboy comment, You remind of a big talking Cowboy who has a 10 gallon hat but has no ranch.

You see what you want to see.

But have a safe and great trip. But a warning, once you experianced the space and amenities including a money saving full kitchen those hotel and motels will not seem the same as before.

Its like riding in a Corvettee after driving a compact.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
You just can not leave it alone and you again raised the issue in your post but try to claim you have dropped it.

In a year review this string and you may have learned how off the wall and inane some of your arguments appear and your comments were not only to me but with others.

My issue’s with things that posted and were wrong.. Some of the other long time Tuggers pointed out were you were wrong.

My posts are backed 10 years of Timeshare experience by us having done at least 400 rentals and over 200 the last 3 years and at least fifty exchanges and having owned 50 different ownerships and belonging to 6 exchange companies..

Your vast knowledge of timesharing and experience is backed by 0 exchanges, 0 ownerships, 0 rentals that you have rented to other people, 0 ownerships and being members of ? exchanges companies. In regards to your Cowboy comment, You remind of a big talking Cowboy who has a 10 gallon hat but has no ranch.

But have a safe and great trip. But a warning, once you experianced the space and amenities including a money saving full kitchen those hotel and motels will not seem the same as before.

Bruce I think you just confirmed what shifty was saying. Its not the info your giving its all in the delivery. He may have miss stepped on the exchange rental and maybe several times but you have to realize how confusing some of this stuff is to us newbies. I actually feel like I know less now then what I thought I knew a few months ago. Learning about timeshares is like learning the English language, you do this and this 95% of the time unless this or this happens then you do this. It also seems that most people will push people in the right direction but are scared to completely spell it out for fear that more people doing the same thing will kill the golden goose.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
The Bottom Line

Shifty1981, the bottom line to your original question was "Can a timeshare save me money?"

The bottom line is that it potentially can. I have a two bedroom at Ko Olina and it's a lock off. I can stay two weeks in Hawaii straight up with my 2 bedroom. 1 side for one week and then the other side for the second week. At worse if I took my kids with me and we stay in the studio side that is similar to a hotel room, I still have a room that is larger than most hotel rooms with better amenities. Then if I use my other side, the one bedroom, the next week I now have a full kitchen, a washing machine, jacuzzi tub and great accommodations for my kids. Now even if one were to snag a $100 a night hotel room in Hawaii, that would be $1400 a night plus room tax and Hawaii has an occupancy tax. In addition, some hotels have an activity fee.

With my points systems with DRI, I pay $3800 in maintenance fees per year. However, I can get as many as 12 weeks or more depending on the size of the unit, where I am traveling to and where I am traveling. I can get even more weeks if I use flex time or take advantage of points breaks often offered by DRI. Yes, this can be done.

So yes, timeshares can save you money, but it's all about learning how to use the system you buy into and knowing what you are trying to accomplish with your vacation dollars. I do vacation a bit now, but not as much as I will when I retire. I enjoy my memberships and love the level of accommodations I receive from them.

Also, I save money because I allow my kids and in laws to use weeks too and I charge them a minimal amount of money for the use and they save money on their vacation time too.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
My latest post did not say anything about your facts or experience. 10 years of experience guarantees nothing regarding morality, fairness and right or wrong. And 10 years experience does not guarantee understanding either. I teach people every day things even though I'm half their age. I've got no experience in law enforcement yet I can recognize many crimes when I see them and I can recognize fair treatment. I'm not claiming any of your factual experience is accurate or not. I am not going to discuss which of all the strategies discussed are right or wrong in my opinion (as far as morality/fairness is concerned). My only issue that I think many others recognize is HOW you express your disagreement with strategies. Your choice of words says it all. I have no problem admitting a statement I made was inaccurate in terms of understanding if someone points it out to me. I don't think you'll find one fact I've said that I refuse to agree with (in terms of is it true or not). As for the cowboy phrase I think you're taking that way too literally. I already explained what the meaning of that phrase was. It could have just as easily been "take a chill pill" or "calm down". I do appreciate the lack of Smilies in your posts recently. At first I thought you were mockingly smirking at people whenever you posted. Then I realized that it's just your signature. Smiling is good for the heart so, I'm glad to hear you smile a lot.

Amazingly we realized something as new parents: Our SUV is not big enough for my daughter's things: stroller, toys, baby supplies, etc. So we used the savings from the hotel deal to get a THULE. Can't believe how much those things can hold. That should last us a very long time.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can only hope some day I'll be able to do this. I've never been to Hawaii and living near Boston, the cost of plane tickets makes me freak out. But I guess if I knew I was saving a ton of $$ by renting or exchanging into Hawaii I would breathe easier. Let me know if you need a renter :)

Shifty1981, the bottom line to your original question was "Can a timeshare save me money?"

The bottom line is that it potentially can. I have a two bedroom at Ko Olina and it's a lock off. I can stay two weeks in Hawaii straight up with my 2 bedroom. 1 side for one week and then the other side for the second week. At worse if I took my kids with me and we stay in the studio side that is similar to a hotel room, I still have a room that is larger than most hotel rooms with better amenities. Then if I use my other side, the one bedroom, the next week I now have a full kitchen, a washing machine, jacuzzi tub and great accommodations for my kids. Now even if one were to snag a $100 a night hotel room in Hawaii, that would be $1400 a night plus room tax and Hawaii has an occupancy tax. In addition, some hotels have an activity fee.

With my points systems with DRI, I pay $3800 in maintenance fees per year. However, I can get as many as 12 weeks or more depending on the size of the unit, where I am traveling to and where I am traveling. I can get even more weeks if I use flex time or take advantage of points breaks often offered by DRI. Yes, this can be done.

So yes, timeshares can save you money, but it's all about learning how to use the system you buy into and knowing what you are trying to accomplish with your vacation dollars. I do vacation a bit now, but not as much as I will when I retire. I enjoy my memberships and love the level of accommodations I receive from them.

Also, I save money because I allow my kids and in laws to use weeks too and I charge them a minimal amount of money for the use and they save money on their vacation time too.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
My latest post did not say anything about your facts or experience. 10 years of experience guarantees nothing regarding 10 years of experience guarantees nothing regarding morality, fairness and right or wrong.And 10 years experience does not guarantee understanding either. I teach people every day things even though I'm half their age. I've got no experience in law enforcement yet I can recognize many crimes when I see them and I can recognize fair treatment. I'm not claiming any of your factual experience is accurate or not. I am not going to discuss which of all the strategies discussed are right or wrong in my opinion (as far as morality/fairness is concerned). My only issue that I think many others recognize is HOW you express your disagreement with strategies. Your choice of words says it all. I have no problem admitting a statement I made was inaccurate in terms of understanding if someone points it out to me. I don't think you'll find one fact I've said that I refuse to agree with (in terms of is it true or not). As for the cowboy phrase I think you're taking that way too literally. I already explained what the meaning of that phrase was. It could have just as easily been "take a chill pill" or "calm down". I do appreciate the lack of Smilies in your posts recently. At first I thought you were mockingly smirking at people whenever you posted. Then I realized that it's just your signature. Smiling is good for the heart so, I'm glad to hear you smile a lot.

Amazingly we realized something as new parents: Our SUV is not big enough for my daughter's things: stroller, toys, baby supplies, etc. So we used the savings from the hotel deal to get a THULE. Can't believe how much those things can hold. That should last us a very long time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty1981
In any case let's just look at this fact:

Person wants to exchange into Smuggs. Can't find ANYTHING 3 bedrooms this summer. And only 1 2 bedroom unit.

However, you go to smuggs.com and you can find PLENTY of options if you're willing to rent from the TS directly at 5 times your MF.

So now, tell me who's screwing the owners and members of exchange companies? Sounds like the TS and exchange companies have a nice deal going. Exchange companies get their exchange fees, TS's make up the cost in the exorbitent rates they charge to non-owners. And the real owners who want to exchange into can't get a unit. Now that's messed up. I think you'll find there are far more instances where this is the case than non-owners looking to rent an exchange. [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Larry
Sorry but I don't understand your logic here?

Rentals on Smuggs.com are units that not available for exchange and probably either developer owned units or units smuggs owners are putting into rental pool. I don't know for sure since I don't own at Smuggs but that's how it works at places that I own. So if an owner or developer wants to get fair market value for rentals you assume they are screwing over non-owners?????

Again people here who have years of experience are trying to help you understand the various rules and regulations and you make a blanket statement based on nothing but assumptions.

Larry hit it on the head and and that is just one of the postings of what I am talking about.

Again you make blanket statements not backed up by any facts that are false in many cases. As oneTug mod suggested what I can do with timeshares suggested is not for you because of your lack of knownleagde and experiance.[/QUOTE]

You after I explained how one system works 3 times posted you still could not understand, so much for your claimed " I teach people every day things even though I'm half their age." in this case it is very clear does not include timesharing.

Regarding your tryring to take the high ground on morality, fairness and right or wrong that you brought up your questions about accessing the unfairness on RCI members not being able rent out exchanges they get.

Then your own posting implying that delays thay might be used to help dodging any court small claims costs if the rental it went sour us said about you.

So maybe you should chill out and take to heart what Larry said QUOTE" Again people here who have years of experience are trying to help you understand the various rules and regulations and you make a blanket statement based on nothing but assumptions. "UNQUOTE

Last edited:

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure which part of that post was your words or someone else's. Please use the quote tags next time so we can be sure. Some of your sentences make no sense to me as they are run-on or jumbled. Then you try one of your classic "bruce"-isms where you take a sentence that has value and mis-use it in making an invalid point. My point about teaching people twice my age is that no matter what point you are in life you can always learn something, even from those far less experienced than yourself. Having as much as experience as you do does not guarantee anything. Timeshare rules and practices change and each resort has their own rules anyway.

In any case, you're still making statements regarding facts or non-facts. I'm not debating those. My simple statement is that your tact in sharing your thoughts is what needs working on. Not necessarily your knowledge. At one point I've shared statements that I deduced (potentially inaccurately which I've admitted when appropriately). However most of my statements about smuggs come from smuggs owners sharing this with myself (when I was negotiating rental rates) or in the forums. So you can say all you want about my always making assumptions based on no experience, but I'm simply sharing what others have told me.

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Amazingly we realized something as new parents: Our SUV is not big enough for my daughter's things: stroller, toys, baby supplies, etc. So we used the savings from the hotel deal to get a THULE. Can't believe how much those things can hold. That should last us a very long time.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: Our SUV (?!?) is not big enough???
Yeah, I think you'll find TS's will be much better for you if you can't manage to survive in an SUV with just one baby!! :eek: - and, yes, I do know how much "stuff" seems to be needed w/children.

Trust me, I have 2 DD's and have traveled with them since they were babies - both by plane and long car trips. While we did upgrade from a small sedan to a larger Audi All-Road due to leg room in the back when children were sitting in carseats, (about the time my youngest was 1 1/2 or 2) I have refused to go the SUV or mini-van route, even though we find ourselves needing to carpool often. I find that you don't really need all that stuff - people didn't have it when we were little and survived just fine. Getting a small fold-up umbrella stroller (maybe 10-20 bucks used) for travelling will save a lot of space and effort. Lots of things can become makeshift toys (yes, safe ones) socks can be puppets, etc. I think diapers are the only real space hogs we ever had trouble with. Much better to pack your own when traveling to save time, money and inconvenience.

Anyway, hope you are enjoying your trip!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
How is Smuggler's Notch? Tell us what you think of it, since I have it on my list of places to visit sometime soon.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is Smuggler's Notch? Tell us what you think of it, since I have it on my list of places to visit sometime soon.

We will upload pictures later, but so far we're super impressed with the unit. May be because the unit itself is bigger than our ranch. 5 flat panel tv's (one per bedroom, 1 in the master bath); 2 person hot tub; full kitchen with bar; 4 twin beds in one room, 1 queen, 1 king and an L shaped couch with pull out queen sofa. all supplies you'd need. gas fireplace. amazing sunset view over green mountains. this is all in sycamores.

until June 11th, the resort is pretty quiet. Only our local pool and fitness center and one other is open plus the fun zone. I guess today Fun Meisters opens. but we planned on a lot of day trips (teddy bear factory, ben & jerry's factory, burlington, possibly Montreal. And I'm going to golf some too. if you come don't forget to bring own charcoal. forgot about that and need to pick some up. The only downside is that during off season, everything off site is pretty far. the closest (and most expensive by far) golf course is 20 minutes away. most are 35-50. but they gave me a large list including rates, times, discounts, etc of about 12 golf courses which was really helpful.

last night my wife cooked tortellini shells, string beans, and sliced fruit. simple, cheap, and on our time frame. very nice. this morning we're having simple granola and yogurt with fruit for breakfast. same thing: simple, quick, and cost effective. we actually fell asleep 2 hours earlier than at home so we've been up early too which is nice.

also the wi-fi is fast enough (though not sure if that would change if lots of people online. I'm getting around 1.15 mb/s download and .3 mb/s upload. for $30 for the week that's plenty.

tv channels are standard cable (local through espn, news, and weather). No premium channels.

Anyway gotta run. I'll write a more formal review later for TUG.

Status
Not open for further replies.