• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The intent of the posters is to be helpful. I see you updated the info to a Gold VIP level. The continuing discount would be 35 percent, I think, I have not followed Silver and Gold for awhile, if I am wrong, some can correct me.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are equating the "Discovery" points to regular use year points. Whether you have 400k, 700k, or 1M of these points you do not have anything close to that when you "apply it toward a purchase".

The program you are on CAN be a good one, a nice way to try before you buy. But you should also be aware of the following caveats...

It isn't exactly what you will get if you end up buying. Availability is different... better in some cases, worse in others... point flexibility will be different if you convert to a purchase, points only good for a year unless you manually move them (once) to a different year at a fee... and cost to buy points is at a rack rate of about $240/K, with discounts of up to about 30%. So the $3k you pay for rental of these points isn't going to go far.

It doesn't screw current owners at all, it just allows Wyndham to get paid for their unsold points and the availability you will have will be based on points they haven't sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
sitting and listening to someone think they are smarter than me.
This is the only part that has me worried, because...

I have been to more than 10 timeshare sales pitches. Every one of them was designed to make me feel like I was getting a deal no one else could, and getting the better of their sales dept.

I suppose you might be the One Guy. But, the sales staff are pros, and do this every day.

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
I don't own Wyndham or ever stayed at one, but I have been to more than 10 timeshare sales pitches. Every one of them was designed to make me feel like I was getting a deal no one else could, and getting the better of their sales dept.

You've been told this inventory is separate from other owners pool, so its not affecting them at all. It will be interesting to see how you feel tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree 100% and exactly why I posted here. I may cancel tomorrow and say I got a little dupped. But I will likely ise at least this for my vacation and then walk away.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
well, I have the proposal in writing and locked rates. 750k is $25k at the price I was offered, less than $5.50 maintenance fees and I can apply any purchases of additional points during my trial peirod to that. So I either got an incredible deal, or have a very good reason to get out of this (they lie ON paper). which can certainly be the case. I would be surprised how if they dont honor this considering they just lost a $20M lawsuit for shit like this.

I will know tomorrow when I try booking a very expensive Point vacation for a 2 month from now window.

Also, I do get the discount on less points. thats on their discovery website contract and on their website. i will find the link and post it

And what resort offered you this great deal???

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I recently (in past 3 days) attended a Wyndham timeshare presentation with absolutely ZERO intention to buy. I was offered a great deal of perks to go which made it well worth the waste if 5 hours of my day and sitting and listening to someone think they are smarter than me. BUT......I DID buy something from them and personally, If i already owned points I would be livid as an owner. Below is what I bought and why i would be livid.

2 years "Try before you buy" and enough points in my try before you buy membership to also be considered VIP. So I get all the benefits of a VIP OWNER and I didnt have to sign my life away on maintenance fees. ive done the math and im basically paying less than owners and getting all the perks.

Ive logged in to my profile online and the ONLY thing i can see different between the two programs is true owners have the ability to book online but I do not. i have to call someone to book it for me. but this is the thing. I would normally book from Ebay or Craigslist from the kind owners like yourselves that have rented to me in the past for an extremely good deal. So i would have had to go through that with an owner anyhow.

Am I missing something? Anyone willing to compare the points in the book I got and thats online to see if its the same as yours as an owner? if its the same, and I get the same perks, 60+ days available upgrad units, 25-50% off points from non-VIP units, how is this not completely screwing current VIP owners?

I 100% intend to cancel my $3k investment in this tomorrow IF when i go to book tomorrow I dont get these benefits. but everything I was told and am reading suggests I do. And my right to cancel will be over in the next. couple of days.

I am usually pretty good at saving money and Ive read a TON on this message board and I dont see anyone talking about this scenario I just bought into.

So its left me wondering if you owners even know Wyndham is doing this and taking your customers away or if there is something I am missing.

Also, I am very well aware buying this has subjected me to likely getting hassled to "buy in". But I never will and Im pretty sure I could ride this out for several years based on my contract allowing me to purchase additional points at the purchase price. AND, Im pretty sure Wyndham has f*cked themselves over with that wording in my "rental" contract. Which I wont go into here. Thoughts?

so your question was ; how is this not completely screwing current VIP owners?

you have your answer...
it"s not

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
But you did pay $3000 for points you will find very difficult to use. And that may get you a week somewhere in a two bedroom unit off peak.

Please know I'm not trying to convince you to not enjoy your "deal". It's just experience trying to tell you that the deal isn't as fantastic as you believe it to be. I would love to have you came back after your week long vacation in a four bedroom presidential unit at Myrtle Beach over July 4 week because then I'd ask to get your deal. But it won't happen.

im not sure why my over 400k points for $3,000 wouldnt buy that and more. If it doesnt I am cancelling it and getting a refund because I am still within my right to and I know I can rent it from owners at that price

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was in the club Wyndham site, a phone number was given out that would grantee one getting cancel and rebook done successfully. It turned out to be the number that the people who bought a trial package would call to make a reservation. What you have to realize is you are pulling, as previously indicated, from Wyndham's inventory, not inventory owned by us.

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
You are equating the "Discovery" points to regular use year points. Whether you have 400k, 700k, or 1M of these points you do not have anything close to that when you "apply it toward a purchase".

The program you are on CAN be a good one, a nice way to try before you buy. But you should also be aware of the following caveats...

It isn't exactly what you will get if you end up buying. Availability is different... better in some cases, worse in others... point flexibility will be different if you convert to a purchase, points only good for a year unless you manually move them (once) to a different year at a fee... and cost to buy points is at a rack rate of about $240/K, with discounts of up to about 30%. So the $3k you pay for rental of these points isn't going to go far.

It doesn't screw current owners at all, it just allows Wyndham to get paid for their unsold points and the availability you will have will be based on points they haven't sold.

Ok, so you are suggesting the Discovery Program booklet I got that has all the points values in it, the points I use for a specific Time frame and date are MORE than an owners booklet? Thats what I was originally wondering actually. I will pull both up later and compare.

As for when I can use them, its from now until December 2020 at no extra cost. That was a deal breaker for me and they have my end date of all points as december 2020.

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
When I was in the club Wyndham site, a phone number was given out that would grantee one getting cancel and rebook done successfully. It turned out to be the number that the people who bought a trial package would call to make a reservation. What you have to realize is you are pulling, as previously indicated, from Wyndham's inventory, not inventory owned by us.

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

Understood and exactly why I posted here. Wonder how much inventory they have compared to owners. And thus inventory isnt available to owners til when?

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
well, I have the proposal in writing and locked rates. 750k is $25k at the price I was offered, less than $5.50 maintenance fees and I can apply any purchases of additional points during my trial peirod to that. So I either got an incredible deal, or have a very good reason to get out of this (they lie ON paper). which can certainly be the case. I would be surprised how if they dont honor this considering they just lost a $20M lawsuit for shit like this.

I will know tomorrow when I try booking a very expensive Point vacation for a 2 month from now window.

Also, I do get the discount on less points. thats on their discovery website contract and on their website. i will find the link and post it
There isn't going to be any very expensive points weeks just sitting waiting to be booked in the 60 day window, for a current owner or for someone in the discovery program. Most current vip's booked that inventory long ago and are waiting to cancel and rebook while it may show online for 2 seconds if you happen to have someone looking at the exact second for that exact inventory when it is cancelled. Wyndham is in the process of making big changes that may not allow the current VIPs to operate that way in the future but thats how it works now.

Make a copy of your proposal. Redact out any personal information. Post it. I am sure we can show you how this proposal is not a legally binding anything to purchase 500,000 annual points for $18,0000 or 750,000 annual points for $25,000. I agree they are likely locking you in on an anual contract of 105,000-149,000 points with bonus points and showing how you can leverage those for 500,000 or 750,000 during the bonus 2-3 years. At the end of the period, you wouldn't be VIP and you would own 105,000-149,000 no bonuses, no VIP.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
im not sure why my over 400k points for $3,000 wouldnt buy that and more. If it doesnt I am cancelling it and getting a refund because I am still within my right to and I know I can rent it from owners at that price

The problem with your logic is you don't know what rents will be in the future.

We bought our first fixed week timeshare in Hollywood Beach 17 years ago because we saw that rents would rise because of teardowns of mom and pop motels. This has happened, but we now have 3 winter weeks that cost $730 mf per week that the resort rents for $1800+ per week.

It's likely that rents for Wyndham weeks will rise with new rules.

Last edited:

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
There isn't going to be any very expensive points weeks just sitting waiting to be booked in the 60 day window, for a current owner or for someone in the discovery program. Most current vip's booked that inventory long ago and are waiting to cancel and rebook while it may show online for 2 seconds if you happen to have someone looking at the exact second for that exact inventory when it is cancelled. Wyndham is in the process of making big changes that may not allow the current VIPs to operate that way in the future but thats how it works now.

Make a copy of your proposal. Redact out any personal information. Post it. I am sure we can show you how this proposal is not a legally binding anything to purchase 500,000 annual points for $18,0000 or 750,000 annual points for $25,000. I agree they are likely locking you in on an anual contract of 105,000-149,000 points with bonus points and showing how you can leverage those for 500,000 or 750,000 during the bonus 2-3 years. At the end of the period, you wouldn't be VIP and you would own 105,000-149,000 no bonuses, no VIP.

Will do in about 30-45 minutes. im out and dont have it with me. Thanks for the help to look and see what i am missing

TSGuest2017

Reaction score

Im pretty certain I purchased 400k+ points and there is no bonus at all. There was zero mention of any bonus. But again, they could have management to slide this "bonus" you are talking about past me. Which is very interesting since they never used that wors once.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
so your question was ; how is this not completely screwing current VIP owners?

you have your answer...
it"s not
And my answer was that there aren't any virgins amongst Wyndham owners. We've been screwed before and we're being screwed now. At some point, one more screwing doesn't matter. But, this isn't one of them.

Ron's right. No current owner cares a rat's whatever about the OP's Discovery purchase. It affects no one. I hope for the OP's sake, when it's over, she still thinks she took Wyndham and their dumba$$ sales people to the cleaners.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Im pretty certain I purchased 400k+ points and there is no bonus at all. There was zero mention of any bonus. But again, they could have management to slide this "bonus" you are talking about past me. Which is very interesting since they never used that wors once.
What you purchased is one time use of 400,000 points for $3000. They are calling you VIP and giving you some VIP perks with the one time use. It isn't a bad deal. It's pretty much a one time thing and you won't be able to do it over and over to continue at VIP beyond 2020 without a true purchase. You have 400,000 to use for 400,000 in points reservations according to the book you have. Bonuses (reduced costs) are in the last minute window and there isn't very much of that sitting around at high demand locations. Many VIP's with million plus points accounts that they could pull into 3 years of usage with pooling, have been able to manufacture there own discounted inventory by reserving early at full points and then cancelling and rebooking during the discount window. You don't have enough points to do this. You may have enough to do it once with a single 400,000 point reservation in 10 months that you cancel and rebook for 200,000 and then use the 200,000 for something else. Unfortunately Wyndham has just announced changes that are changing the ability to cancel and rebook previously held reservations.

By the way- Still not clear- do you get gold perks or platinum or just silver?

What I am saying is the 500,000-750,000 packages that they say they are locking in for you in the future at the $18,000-$25,000 rate includes bonus points. What you can buy for $18,000 is going to be about 105,000 annual points (after the bonuses expire 2 years after purchase) and you would be nowhere near a permanent VIP after that time, just an owner of 105,000 points who spent about $15,000 for the 2 extra years of points and perks (if you consider the value of the bonus points and perks at 3000 for those additional 2 years.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
The only way I would ever but it, is if I somehow get it dor next to nothing by buying more rental points to achieve enough "purchase price" credits to make it to VIP status.

No way I would ever invest in a program where owners dont know the true benefits of their interest. Its clear to me that is the case here from my talks with the sales people. they couldn't answer all my questions.
I know my benefits as a CWA "resale" buyer: I can book 13 months out at any resort in CWA for points specified by Wyndham. In general, I can book 1, 2 and sometimes 3 BR units for the same or less than a hotel room would cost. I'm not in the rental business, never will be. I'm not eligible for any VIP "maybe's", but am not unhappy about that. I like everywhere we have been so far, (La Cascada and Avenue Plaza), and am looking forward to the seven resorts we will be visiting this year. And have rolled over 166,000 points into RCI for a weeks stay in Galveston... I don't feel screwed by Wyndham at all...

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
We have a virgin OP trying to tell the Wyndham pros to turn in all contracts and start buying Discovery only.

I think I will stick with the pros.

right....hope people can read and see i NEVER said that. Im just saying, I WOULD have been a customer of some of the owners that rent theirs out. And Wyndham just took that from you all (if what I believe to be correct is in fact, correct). Thats all Im saying

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
right....hope people can read and see i NEVER said that. Im just saying, I WOULD have been a customer of some of the owners that rent theirs out. And Wyndham just took that from you all (if what I believe to be correct is in fact, correct). Thats all Im saying
You still might be after your package is up and you might have more of an appreciation of the ease of renting what and where you want instead of having to learn all the ins and outs to make it work.

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
I will have to post this later because Im on my phone and will need to scan this in for all the fine print to be viewable. But I now see what you all are saying when you are referring to "bonus" points. Bonus points are irrelevant for discovery members. we dont have bonus points. That is on the proposal IF I planned to purchase and it matches the amount i purchased.

IE - You can have this offer for x points a nd the bonus points all equal the amount of points on the proposals I had them do (400k = 400k additional bonus points and so on). But discovery users dont use bonus points. They only use their entire pool of points they "rented". I never had them quote anything that was under 400k points purchased because I would always want the 25%+ discount.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Please try to understand something. What you received was not to the detriment of current Wyndham owners, at least not any material, non-trivial detriment. At most, it would be like taking a tablespoon of water out of the pool and looking for a change in the water level.

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
You still might be after your package is up and you might have more of an appreciation of the ease of renting what and where you want instead of having to learn all the ins and outs to make it work.

Absolutely...but i kind of already knew a little as a renter of owners and like to be an informed consumer. But if I can purchase more points at the same rate over the next two years and keep rinsing and repeating that (i.e. I rent those out) and that "purchase" amount gets applied to a future ownership, technically I could bank alot of purchases to apply towards ownership at zero cost to me. Or very minimal in comparison. Even if it does cost me $50 grand....others would be paying that and I would get the credit towards a future purchase.

THATS the loophole Im talking about. Its unclear to me at this point if I can do that but I do know I do not have to be the one staying at the resorts. Although I will be for MY vacation. But IF they allow that, why wouldnt I do it, just in case?

I doubt I want to travel down that path. But I just find this pretty shitty to do to owners. ALL of it. thats all

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can't. If you buy in with the credit from your discovery package you won't be eligible for another non owner package like discovery. Owners can't take a discovery package. As mentioned your $18,000 won't even get you a fifth of the way to VIP.