• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
Wyndham has actually done quite nicely over the last 3 years taking inventory back for $0 from people who have completely paid off there $20,000-$100,000+ purchases (principle and interest) who simply decided they don't want to deal with the $2000-$15,000 annual MF anymore. Taking that inventory and selling it to new and existing owners again for $20,000+ per 120,000 points.

I hate that for the people that paid that. That really sucks for them

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
DRI is doing the same thing but to make it even a little worse they are charging owners $299 for each fully paid deed they accept back.

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
DRI is doing the same thing but to make it even a little worse they are charging owners $299 for each fully paid deed they accept back.

Well, for owners who were just raped for years and years paying that high interest rate and struggling to pay the maintenance fees and then on top of that not even having a good selection of weeks to use their points, I would say most people would be loving any way out of the headaches these companies put them in. It seems to me they only care about the high level owners and the rest are just "placeholders" for them until then next one comes along. Its really a depressing picture to look at.

And the more and more I think about it, I would have no issues at all taking advantage of Wyndham. But I get the impression it takes from owners but everyone seems to argue with me saying no it doesnt, its a whole other pool of inventory and doesnt affect their ownership. I would participate if thats the case. i just truly have a gut feeling it isnt.

Reaction score
I am NOT a Wyndham, but I did read this entire thread and it really is a strange thread with no definitive answer either way. I am not sure I will keep on reading, so good luck TSGuest2017 as you appear to need it.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I hate that for the people that paid that. That really sucks for them

Yes, and that's how Wyndham is screwing their owners. Not with the Discovery program, which doesn't have an appreciable impact on the rest of us in any way.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, for owners who were just raped for years and years paying that high interest rate and struggling to pay the maintenance fees and then on top of that not even having a good selection of weeks to use their points, I would say most people would be loving any way out of the headaches these companies put them in. It seems to me they only care about the high level owners and the rest are just "placeholders" for them until then next one comes along. Its really a depressing picture to look at.

And the more and more I think about it, I would have no issues at all taking advantage of Wyndham. But I get the impression it takes from owners but everyone seems to argue with me saying no it doesnt, its a whole other pool of inventory and doesnt affect their ownership. I would participate if thats the case. i just truly have a gut feeling it isnt.

I think I finally understand your concern. You think discovery point you get somehow take something away from the rest of us

It dosent and here's why: there is no difference between a discovery sale and a regular sale, either way a new owner gets points that were held by Wyndham and now gets to use them for reservations. And either way nothing has been taken from me

And when you say Wyndham only cares about the high level owners vs the little guy. That's wrong too. Wyndham makes the bulk of their money from timeshare sales not maintennance fees or management fees. And they make about 2/3 of their sales to existing owners (upsales) vs 1/3 to new buyers Those new buyers are important because they are tomorrow's upsales. Now here my point a happy owner with 105000 points is more likely to buy more than a big owner. The big owner is obviously happy, at least in wyndhams eyes. Look at how much time they stay at the resort; they must like us. The small owner is the more likely buyer, they have to be kept happy or made happy. All thes new rules are designed to screw the big guy and make more inventory available to the little guy

Not to mention the ongoing suspension issue. That thing really screwed some big owners

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont know what to think as I dont have any access to inventory. But I would for sure be willing to check tomorrow if anyone wants to send me a hard to get destination and week.
Try for a week in a 2 BR Deluxe Oceanview at Kauai Beach Villas. I had no trouble reserving 3 days in one of those units at 10 months and could have reserved a week, if I wanted it.

When you can't get anything there, ask for anything in Hawaii at any time, and see what you are offered. If you can book something, maybe at Ka EO Kai during the slower season, that might make the Discovery package worth something.

I doubt they will find anything in Hawaii for you, and definitely not anything for a discount.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am NOT a Wyndham, but I did read this entire thread and it really is a strange thread with no definitive answer either way. I am not sure I will keep on reading, so good luck TSGuest2017 as you appear to need it.

I agree. This post has the undertone that it was meant to irritate and/or see reactions of owners rather than gain valuable information. As with other posts, a very good marketing tools for Wyndham. [Political comment removed.] That's why I read and don't post much. People rather debate posts like this until the cows come home rather then help someone who wants real help and advise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I may have missed a response about the limited availability of inventory for discovery point bookings. It has been quite a while since we had a discovery package so they could have changed things since then but I distinctly remember there being restrictions on what and when I could book with those discovery points.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
TSGuest2017, I am the last person to comment intelligently on your purchase of a Wyndham Discovery Package, I hope you enjoy it. Per your comments above, I don't feel like I have been screwed by Wyndham at all. I purchased almost 1.1M points resale on eBay for only a little more than your $3K purchase. We have been on two vacations already (points all closed by the end of February,) to Las Cascada in San Antonio and Avenue Plaza in New Orleans. Both wonderful facilities with great people working there. We have vacations planned for National Harbor, Riverside Suites, Flagstaff, Sedona, Durango, Taos, Old Town Alexandria, La Belle Maison, and Bonnet Creek to fill out the rest of this year. We use our points, bought them to travel to unique locations, and plan to never be in the rental business. We like timeshares because we always book 1 BR's, and many times need 2BR's and will use 2 x 3 BR's at Bonnet Creek this Christmas. My point is that even without any VIP benefits, we have been very successful in getting what we want when we want it. And we are not forced to stay in hotel rooms!!! I'm sure some "developer" point owners feel unhappy about the price they paid, but for some of them, especially the Gold and Platinum VIP's, the benefits and perks they get make up for the purchase price. Many have added PIC points and used other techniques to gain VIP status, and have been rewarded for their knowledge on how to get this done.
My point is that we are very happy with Wyndham, don't feel "screwed", and would buy "resale" tomorrow again without hesitation. Good luck with your Discovery Package.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
TSGuest2017, as many have posted here the Discovery package is not a bad deal. But I think they are just trying to level set your expectations of converting a temporary Discovery Package VIP status into a permanent VIP status. If you are able to accomplish it, then more power to you.

I will speak for myself, and other here may agree. I love the Wyndham product. I HATE HATE HATE the Wyndham sales team and tactics. But for any timeshare to be available as a resale, someone had to buy it from the Developer in the first place. Not everyone finds TUG before that happens and we have either felt that pain ourselves and learned from it, or at least have some empathy for the ones bought retail. But anyone that is still here on tug, is making Lemonade out of Lemons. Be it either through getting better use out of their timeshare $$ spend, or adding resale purchases and bringing their average cost of purchase down.

In any case I would say if you have to finance a timeshare purchase, you shouldn't be purchasing it. If you can't afford the lump sum (developer or resale) don't buy it. It is not an investment, per say. It is an investment in attempting to ensure you take future vacations. But clearly that does not work in a lot of cases, because there are a lot of timeshare owners who pay MFs but never use their weeks/points. That is shame, but you usually don't find those types here on TUG.

But purchase price, developer or resale, is only part of the cost. Ongoing MFs are going to be what you need to consider long term not short term.

You are also proposing renting, as you yourself have rented from other owners. There are several of use here that do rent, and renting is not always as easy as it appears. You need the right product, right price and you need to find the right customer. As a renter wanting to pickup a week it is easy, you look up a rental site, find the week you want and contract someone. For those that do rent, it is not always so easy. Others can chime in. Competition renting Wyndham weeks is high, there are a lot of rentals to chose from, so you need to do better on price, or get a regular set of clients. Calls and contacts are flaky, some call you back, a lot don't, people change their minds. People don't want to pay the price you are offering and want you to discount it. It is easier to have a solid customer base that comes back and rents from you everytime, but you only have a short window to establish that.

With the changes coming in the next month at Wyndham which we don't exactly know how they have implemented things, some of those previous tactics to get low rental rates may no longer be valid, we don't yet. So you have an unknown you are now projecting into.

So I don't think you are hurting yourself or screwing current owners with a Discovery Package. It is a try it before you buy it. And Wyndham wants it to work well, so people do buy. Do you blame them, it is their job as sales to do that. So try it and enjoy it, and as you said at worst case you would have spent $3K on accommodations anyway. I would love it if you found a new loophole to get a permanent VIP status, but at the costs that Wyndham charges for a permanent VIP, they will make it difficult.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
Well, although my last minute availability isn't available I have confirmed the following:

1) I can purchase more points under this contract over the next 2 1/2 years and all purchases count as money Ive paid wyndham directly to be applied to a purchase.

2) I do not have to be present at any bookings I make although i DO have to pay the $129 fee for a guest.

So I will try out my vacation for the $3k and play it out and see how I feel. worst case I use it and enjoy it and walk away.

Thanks for everyones opinions and help. I too lie like their product. just not a fan of their management style and sales team

TSGuest2017

Reaction score
And the availability isnt THAT bad. Just not in May like I had hoped. Which I knew was a long shot

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, although my last minute availability isn't available I have confirmed the following:

1) I can purchase more points under this contract over the next 2 1/2 years and all purchases count as money Ive paid wyndham directly to be applied to a purchase.

2) I do not have to be present at any bookings I make although i DO have to pay the $129 fee for a guest.

So I will try out my vacation for the $3k and play it out and see how I feel. worst case I use it and enjoy it and walk away.

Thanks for everyones opinions and help. I too lie like their product. just not a fan of their management style and sales team

Have a great trip and enjoy. The resorts are by far the best thing about Wyndham.

TSnewbie2017

Reaction score

First of all, dear TUG members please note that my nickname and poster name is a pure coincidence...and I got attention to this thread when somebody pointed at it on my different topic thread... Second, dear TSguest, it's clear to me that it's only a good deal for Wyn, not customers. I happened to buy the same Discovery product and see no benefit at all even to enjoy a vacation. I'm still trying to appeal their deny in my rescission within my rescission period (that tells u already a lot about the company practice of doing business and following the contract.)...in case I loose that battle and be stuck w/ Discovery, keep us posted how the program benefited you...at this time I see it as a big rip off compare if I'd just rented something else on my own.

Reaction score
First of all, dear TUG members please note that my nickname and poster name is a pure coincidence...and I got attention to this thread when somebody pointed at it on my different topic thread... Second, dear TSguest, it's clear to me that it's only a good deal for Wyn, not customers. I happened to buy the same Discovery product and see no benefit at all even to enjoy a vacation. I'm still trying to appeal their deny in my rescission within my rescission period (that tells u already a lot about the company practice of doing business and following the contract.)...in case I loose that battle and be stuck w/ Discovery, keep us posted how the program benefited you...at this time I see it as a big rip off compare if I'd just rented something else on my own.

TSnewbie2017, I'm curious as to why you consider the Discovery program a ripoff. I recently rented points for the first time. I bypassed the "parking pass" desk, but I forgot to unplug the phone. When they called, I was genuinely interested in finding out more about the program, but had zero interest in buying. After saying "no" multiple times, they offered the Discovery program. The cost per point in the Discovery program is about 30% higher than what I paid for my week by renting. While 30% is not insignificant, I wouldn't define it as a ripoff. I thought I received a pretty good deal when renting, but maybe not as good as you have gotten.

Can you elaborate as to why you consider the Discovery program a ripoff?

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't. If you buy in with the credit from your discovery package you won't be eligible for another non owner package like discovery. Owners can't take a discovery package. As mentioned your $18,000 won't even get you a fifth of the way to VIP.
I am VIP Silver and have purchased a Discovery package while owning. Just go to a presentation and tell them no over and over. Their final twist is to try and get you to buy a Discovery package and preserve what they offered in case you change your mind.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I agree. This post has the undertone that it was meant to irritate and/or see reactions of owners rather than gain valuable information. As with other posts, a very good marketing tools for Wyndham. [Political comment removed.] That's why I read and don't post much. People rather debate posts like this until the cows come home rather then help someone who wants real help and advise.
I have found the members of TUG to be very helpful. I think all the replies here are trying to be helpful, although the original post can be viewed as disrespectful. As with anything everyone doesnt always agree, but that is to be expected.