• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] How to compare point systems?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Summer Season" except Palm Springs and Scottsdale. This timeshare stuff is so complicated ;)
and Tucson and Mexico

As always, "It depends!"

... but you get my drift. Most people want to vacation during the summer, so summer is "high" season. The chart will be most relevant if all the brands compare the same summer season in a 2 BR when "everyone" wants to vacation.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im not totally sold on the whole "high season" thing...especially not using a specific holiday week as an average to compare.

the goal was to include a comparison/average of what is most commonly bought and sold. I cant imagine that any of the systems sell more "high season/holiday weeks" than any other.

and the problem with using the ultra high demand stuff is that some of the systems have STAGGERING differences between a regular high season week, and an ultra high demand holiday week.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ok...i think we have come to a consensus on how to manage the comparison for the points/mf lines.

id like to use as a standard comparison, the cost in maint fees, and point values...for a SUMMER week at a normal/midlevel/standard/whatever resort within the system.

not a holiday week, not a special week, (obviously not a ski resort week)...but an average point value and maintenance fee for a perfectly normal/regular resort within the system...during a summer high demand week.

please let me know if this changes any of the estimates or values already published on the page

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok...i think we have come to a consensus on how to manage the comparison for the points/mf lines.

id like to use as a standard comparison, the cost in maint fees, and point values...for a SUMMER week at a normal/midlevel/standard/whatever resort within the system.

not a holiday week, not a special week, (obviously not a ski resort week)...but an average point value and maintenance fee for a perfectly normal/regular resort within the system...during a summer high demand week.

please let me know if this changes any of the estimates or values already published on the page
Just to clarify and for standardization, the maintenance fee number should include the annual program cost(s)? Most new timeshare buyers would start with only one week, so the full program costs would be part of their total annual maintenance costs.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My input for Vistana:

Avg. MF for 2 bdm. - $2,000 (but there is a huge range from Florida to Harborside, for instance)

Vistana has both deeded weeks, and a separate new points system now.

Avg. points for 2 bdm. - at the popular resorts = 148,100

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if there is a mandatory annual fee that is charged to an owner as part of the maint fees, it should be included yes.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
My input for Vistana:

Avg. MF for 2 bdm. - $2,000 (but there is a huge range from Florida to Harborside, for instance)

Vistana has both deeded weeks, and a separate new points system now.

Avg. points for 2 bdm. - at the popular resorts = 148,100
added, thank you.

is there a reservation window for owners? (home resort vs any resort?)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In most cases:
Home resort reservations - 12-8 mos. out
Staroption reservations (any resort) - 8-0 mos. out

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also - Vistana has ROFR at some resorts.

II/RCI membership is included with all developer purchases + 5 of the resorts

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

The figure previously stated for DVC stands under this new definition except that I averaged all 2BR units across all DVC properties for a summer week rather than choosing one specific resort. Yes, I chose a July week spanning a holiday -- but DVC's charts don't put extra emphasis on holiday summer weeks.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thanks!

only a few more question marks and we win BINGO!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
thanks!

only a few more question marks and we win BINGO!
Yes ... but I'm thinking that the "1" shown on the last row for Shell should have been a Question Mark? ;-)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ha...probably!

lots of blanks in that column!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NEVERMIND: Are we certain Holiday Inn Club as 30 properties? I only see 13 on their website. Of course, I know nothing about their program and am simply believing what the public-facing website is trying to show me. I'm sure there is something magic about the number of destinations shown?

I was previously looking at a drop down with ~13 properties listed. When I visit the "Explore" page I see more. Not sure if all of these are core properties or a mixture of core + affiliates.

EDITED TO ADD: The Explore page shows 25 resorts, of which 8 are distinguished as "Signature Collection."

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I count at least 18 on TUG...im not sure where the 30 came from...but I am pretty sure they just absorbed a number of other timeshares (orange lake?) into their system...so the total count might be in a bit of a flux!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You can't just say summer season, you just have to say the highest demand season and use that. Because summer is not high at some places, I know when I looked at both the average points for both Wyndham and HICV I used an average of the highest demand week.

for HGVC I see that others used the standard points chart for a Platinum week, without any additional views etc.

So the highest season possible in each point program, with the entry level 2 BR unit, whatever that is for each system.

Adding a footnote that there are higher points required for other places, and additional points required for upgrade views.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think that every resort system has a majority of resorts that have "summer weeks" that apply to this comparison no?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I count at least 18 on TUG...im not sure where the 30 came from...but I am pretty sure they just absorbed a number of other timeshares (orange lake?) into their system...so the total count might be in a bit of a flux!

I'm pretty sure I know how to count.....You could argue that Orlando is one, but when you book you have to select different resort to search. You could also argue the some of the Signature Collection are also at regular resorts, but there are at least 1 that is independent of that, Marco Island.

So 29 or 35+, but certainly NOT 13.

Here is what is listed in HICV. 2 lines under a location is 2 separate resorts.

upload_2017-5-15_14-32-32.png

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I didnt come up with the 13 number, your post was the first id seen that number mentioned.

I get 28 total on the left side...and 8 more on the right?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
but the 8 on the right are all duplicates of ones on the left...im guessing perhaps they are just nicer rooms in the same resorts?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
appears the TUG listings were low because many had not been updated with the HICV name in the title...ive just done that.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm pretty sure I know how to count.....You could argue that Orlando is one, but when you book you have to select different resort to search. You could also argue the some of the Signature Collection are also at regular resorts, but there are at least 1 that is independent of that, Marco Island.

So 29 or 35+, but certainly NOT 13.

Here is what is listed in HICV. 2 lines under a location is 2 separate resorts.

View attachment 3874
I count 25 on the left side of the screen capture? Using Orange Lake as "1" location.

(Yes, I was the one that originally posted '13' and revised that count. I explained that was from a drop down menu before I found the "Explore" page.)

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
but the 8 on the right are all duplicates of ones on the left...im guessing perhaps they are just nicer rooms in the same resorts?

Marco Island ONLY appears on the right, not on the left. It is an associate type.

Signature is like Presidential in wyndham

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
orange lake is listed as 4 separate resorts just about everywhere, despite all the different phases/buildings sharing the same lot. so i counted it as 4 total.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
orange lake is listed as 4 separate resorts just about everywhere, despite all the different phases/buildings sharing the same lot. so i counted it as 4 total.
Ok. Given that ... could we change the WM resort count to 90+?
For WM, I count 92 locations in their drop down pick-list ... but know that "Tahoe" is really three facilities spread over a mile. So using Orange Lake logic, WM Tahoe would count as "3." 90+ should cover the bases? Thx!