• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Rental Properties

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Has anyone else rented their timeshares that were damaged in the hurricane? I have rented 2 holiday weeks at Marriott Frenchman's Cove that is currently supposed to be open that week but it is closed until at least Oct 31. The Marriott Hotel next door is not supposed to be open as it had significant damage. I was just wondering what everyone would do for their renters. I have already gotten 50% of the rent from them.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
What does your contract say? Did you have the boilerplate suggestion about getting travel insurance? At this point, I would think that it is on your renters, but me being a complete softie would be contemplating some kind of refund. (Which is why I just can't rent units, lol).

Pre-timeshares, I always rented through vrbo and they people who I rented from always told me to get insurance as they wouldn't do refunds. I never had any issues so it wasn't a problem, but I certainly knew the risk going in.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I seldom (and never willingly) play "landlord" and when I have to do so I am a stickler about very detailed rental agreements and a (no) refund policy.
That said, if a property was completely inaccessible due to hurricane damage, I would without hesitation refund 100% of any and all money paid to me.
That's plainly just the right thing to do, IMnsHO. Unlike a last minute cancellation by the tenant, having no access is not their problem to address or solve.

One lesson my late Dad imparted was to "treat others as you'd like to be treated". This one is a no brainer. Just my personal view and position; you asked.

Last edited:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I'm going to offer them that they don't have to make the second payment, mostly because they wouldn't pay it anyway. I have the rental agreement with the travel insurance wording as well. The first payment more than covers my maintenance fees.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
I use a rental agreement with two clauses that apply to this situation

If the unit is not habitable, and a reasonable substitute cannot be found, my only obligation is a refund. I believe you have an obligation to refund if the unit cannot be available to stay in.

Owner is not responsible for inconvenience due to repairs, acts of god. If the guest can sleep in the unit, but all the trees on the property have been blown away, it is still a good rental. I rent at Hyatt Bonita Springs. Many units are out of service to have drywall and carpet replaced. If a guest has a room, and the resort is doing repairs in other rooms in the building, or at the pool, I am not responsible for the inconvenience of repairs. That is what the contract says, but, I am hoping all the repairs are done before my reservations start at Christmas.

Last edited:

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have ten reservations at Marriott Canyon Villas in Phoenix. We have not experienced any hurricane damage. Do you think demand for other warm weather destinations increases to make-up for cancellations in Virgin islands, Puerto Rico and Florida Keys?

I think that tens of thousands of winter vacations that are cancelled for hurricane damage will be re-booked in Florida and Arizona. People still need to get their sun and fun winter vacations (Especially those Canadians). Do you see a supply shortage coming?

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have ten reservations at Marriott Canyon Villas in Phoenix. We have not experienced any hurricane damage. Do you think demand for other warm weather destinations increases to make-up for cancellations in Virgin islands, Puerto Rico and Florida Keys?

I think that tens of thousands of winter vacations that are cancelled for hurricane damage will be re-booked in Florida and Arizona. People still need to get their sun and fun winter vacations (Especially those Canadians). Do you see a supply shortage coming?

I hope so. I have 2 Summer weeks at Harborside at Atlantis that need to be rented. As a follow up, I reduced the rent on the 2 Frenchman's Cove weeks by 50%. The one is hanging in there. The second one wanted to cancel but rented the 2018 week so I applied his deposit to that. I relisted the 2017 week for half price and it was rented right away and he paid the full rental. I agreed to refund the full money if the resort is not open. I told both of them not to book their flights until I get a firm reopening date so I'm not out of the woods yet. I still have a third week there, same week, and am not really expecting it will get rented.

A surprise cancellation was for Cancun due to the reported crime on the State Dept website. Lucky for me, it was rented by a third party (Stay PC) who had already found a replacement renter for my full price before they told me. I don't know if they had to eat any loss to find the replacement. Interesting times in the timeshare rental biz.

I always said I would never buy a timeshare during hurricane season but I never thought they would still be out of business for Christmas.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not easy when you do not know when the resorts will reopen and what shape they will be.

Are staff still being paid? Even so lot of other ongoing and additional expenses.

Best of luck to everyone.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I'm going to offer them that they don't have to make the second payment, mostly because they wouldn't pay it anyway. I have the rental agreement with the travel insurance wording as well. The first payment more than covers my maintenance fees.
It sounds like you have the legal right to do as you're planning to do: keep the deposit and allow the renter to cancel the contract. However, there is also--as Theo pointed out--the moral obligation. If you were a renter, how would you like the owner to treat you in this kind of situation?

We once had a small liability claim placed against our company's product and turned the claim over to our insurance company. The insurance company did what insurance companies do best--they investigated and found that the party that was injured could have been injured by any of three different products--one of which was ours. They therefore declined the claim. We could have just allowed the insurance company to fight with the claimant, but after interviewing the injured party ourselves and finding her to be quite credible, we determined that it was highly likely that our product was to blame, and we paid the claim out of our pockets. It helped us sleep at night, and the claimant said she never expected--but was extremely gratified--to have been treated that way.

Ultimately, of course, it's your decision. But given the circumstances, you might consider offering a full refund.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love Stay PC. They have rented a few weeks a year for years, make it easy for me.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sounds like you have the legal right to do as you're planning to do: keep the deposit and allow the renter to cancel the contract. However, there is also--as Theo pointed out--the moral obligation. If you were a renter, how would you like the owner to treat you in this kind of situation?

We once had a small liability claim placed against our company's product and turned the claim over to our insurance company. The insurance company did what insurance companies do best--they investigated and found that the party that was injured could have been injured by any of three different products--one of which was ours. They therefore declined the claim. We could have just allowed the insurance company to fight with the claimant, but after interviewing the injured party ourselves and finding her to be quite credible, we determined that it was highly likely that our product was to blame, and we paid the claim out of our pockets. It helped us sleep at night, and the claimant said she never expected--but was extremely gratified--to have been treated that way.

Ultimately, of course, it's your decision. But given the circumstances, you might consider offering a full refund.

I would (will) give the deposits back if they want. One wanted it applied to next year's week, which is what I did. I also rerented this year's week for half price. The other renter wanted to hang in there, especially since I told her she could have it half-price.