• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Coconut Plantation

Reaction score
Today I had a meeting with the sales manager of the Coconut Plantation property. I have stayed there as a guest for many years. I have also sat through two sales presentations but never had the desire to go any further. I had a few things I wanted to cover. The first was to see what their current inventory was, discuss resale, the Pure Points Program and the availability of the "limited country club membership" offered for an additional fee. This is something I am interested in since we live in close proximity to the resort. We would be able to use the facility on a daily basis with our family. I had found a unit for sale from a broker for an annual two bedroom at a low price. The sales manager gave me a document stating the club membership is only available if you purchase a timeshare through Hyatt. He showed me a unit for the week I was interested in. It was an Every Other Year that was $8000 more than the one I was looking at through resale. The resale was annual. I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying the extra money just to get the country club membership and possibly some Gold Passport incentive points for buying through Hyatt. I asked him about the Pure Points Program. My main concern from reading some posts was the availability of weeks at other Hyatt properties. He said that wouldn't be a problem, I'm not so sure! My wife and I are new to this and are hesitant as we no nothing about the Hyatt system (or any other). We like the thought of being able to trade a week to use at other Hyatt properties but I know it can be confusing.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The sales manager gave me a document stating the club membership is only available if you purchase a timeshare through Hyatt.

This frankly does not surprise me one bit. After all, they need an "incentive" or "carrot" to be able to sell intervals at their full freight prices. From their perspective, imposing that particular restriction preserves and protects something "exclusive" that the sales force can hang their hat on to lord over (or "devalue", if you will) resale acquisitions. You've now apparently seen it for yourself in writing, so it's your call whether to pony up those hefty "house" figures in order to acquire that club membership benefit.

I asked him about the Pure Points Program. My main concern from reading some posts was the availability of weeks at other Hyatt properties. He said that wouldn't be a problem, I'm not so sure!

I think your concern is both astute and well founded, empty and meaningless "no problem" reassurances from "sales guy" notwithstanding.
In any and every system, certainly including Hyatt, space availability rules all. Existing deeded fixed weeks owners at places like Hyatt Sunset Harbor, for example (and other consistently high demand properties) will surely hold on to them for dear life now --- and they've just seen their value increased. While there might be flexibility in the Pure Points system, availability still rules all. A wheelbarrow full of points won't necessarily get anyone where and when they might want to go unless there is also space available at that specific time and place they seek. Adopting "Pure Points" won't in any way translate to increased availability in high demand places or seasons; that would seem quite obvious.
No sales rep could "spin" the irrefutable fact that space can't / won't ever be magically "created" merely by adopting points -- in any system.

Yours is a good problem to have and you are approaching it wisely. I wish you luck and success with your process and ultimate decision.

Last edited:

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
I only buy my Hyatt weeks resale. I get a deeded unit/week. I get Hyatt timeshare points I can use at any other property ( many are hard to get like ski or Hawaii)
I get treated well by the property managers ( have been to Aspen, Park Hyatt and Carmel on the changes)

I do not get gold Hyatt points.

I am 100% certain that buying resale was the right decision. Week and unit choice takes time. Rent while you wait.

This frankly does not surprise me one bit. After all, they need an "incentive" or "carrot" to be able to sell intervals at their full freight prices. From their perspective, imposing that particular restriction preserves and protects something "exclusive" that the sales force can hang their hat on to lord over (or "devalue", if you will) resale acquisitions. You've now apparently seen it for yourself in writing, so it's your call whether to pony up those hefty "house" figures in order to acquire that club membership benefit.

I think your concern is both astute and well founded, empty and meaningless "no problem" reassurances from "sales guy" notwithstanding.
In any and every system, certainly including Hyatt, space availability rules all. Existing deeded fixed weeks owners at places like Hyatt Sunset Harbor, for example (and other consistently high demand properties) will surely hold on to them for dear life now --- and they've just seen their value increased. While there might be flexibility in the Pure Points system, availability still rules all. A wheelbarrow full of points won't necessarily get anyone where and when they might want to go unless there is also space available at that specific time and place they seek. Adopting "Pure Points" won't in any way translate to increased availability in high demand places or seasons; that would seem quite obvious.
No sales rep could "spin" the irrefutable fact that space can't / won't ever be magically "created" merely by adopting points -- in any system.

Yours is a good problem to have and you are approaching it wisely. I wish you luck and success with your process and ultimate decision.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
Why don't you join so people can message you. Owners might have something to say about rescaled, rentals or Hyatt knowledge they do not want to post. After you join, email me.